Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Downgrading BT Broadband

• 16-06-2005 12:37pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 666 ✭✭✭

have had BT broadband since IOL launched it a few years ago. Have been steadily upgraded as new offerings came out.

However don't actually use it that much. The family do a lot of browsing, but not much downloading at all.

Anyway rang BT about downgrading from 2MB to 1MB connection. They want a 30 euro admin fee!!!.

So looking for advice, would save 8 euro a month on a downgrade, so after 4 months would be saving money. But is it worth the trade off? Do y'all think that in the next 6 months usage levels would rise to the stage where the contention ratio on the 1MB package is a problem?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭Linoge

dancin wrote:
    So looking for advice, would save 8 euro a month on a downgrade, so after 4 months would be saving money. But is it worth the trade off? Do y'all think that in the next 6 months usage levels would rise to the stage where the contention ratio on the 1MB package is a problem?
    I'm not sure, but whats to stop you upgrading again? I doubt they'll charge you to UPgrade.
    dancin wrote:
    Anyway rang BT about downgrading from 2MB to 1MB connection. They want a 30 euro admin fee!!!.

That is absolutely rediculous. I'd tell them (nicely at first but my voice growing angry) that you are going to report the fee to Comreg to see if its even legal (and really do this, though Comreg isn't worth a sh1t.) And secondly, if they insist they are going to charge you the fee threaten to leave. They don't have a minimum contract, loads of companies give free connection and they are just as cheap.

Have balls though, don't just say "I have a good mind to", say "I will". If some prick acts like he doesn't care, tell him that you are obviously not being taken seriously and ask to speak to a manager (then tell the manager about the little bastard). If the manager acts like he doesn't give a sh1t ask him to transfer you to the accounts department (don't say why, thats too obvious). If you actually get to accounts I would go through half the process, then change your mind (thats only if you want to stay with BT).

I just signed up with BT recently, I hope they don't start acting the prick like this the whole time.

PS. I don't think I've even given you the info you were asking, but least I've given my 2 cents!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

I wouldn't bother with ComReg on this occasion, this admin fee may be ridiculous but it wouldn't be hard for BT to justify it to ComReg if they really had to. However just as they're entitled to charge you that fee, as Linoge says you're perfectly entitled to leave if you've been with them that long, and only a very foolish company would let a good customer leave over something so simple. If you don't get satisfaction from the front-line customer support, take it up the chain; if you don't get satisfaction then, follow through on the threat.

adam

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

the fee is legal, and it's passed on because eircom charge all companies when they want to downgrade the line. They don't charge anything for upgrading the line.

In a nutshell if you think that the extra €66 in the first year is going to make that big a difference to you then do it, otherwise why bother?

Advertisement