Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tech. Drawing analysis

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭sock.rocker*

i got an auxilary of the secong pyramid but i cudnt figure out how to take it back to plan.. i sat for so long staring at it at the end and cudnt figure it out

• Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

I just hope i've passed it :( ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 daxon

i had a huge cone that went off the page.i thought this couldn't b right. so i just drew a smaller one at the same angle.i picked any height.
    then it worked for me.

Q7 was a disaster..

i hav 4 desks to myself.i set up all pages 15mins before the test.so i really do save on time

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭*Angel*

daxon wrote:
    i hav 4 desks to myself.i set up all pages 15mins before the test.so i really do save on time

I some how ended up with 3 desks, I only set up the first sheet before hand, did you put the sheets one on top of the other? I do that a home but it kinda leaves a 'spongy' feeling when you're drawing, hence the lines are less sharp.

I was thinking though it has to be one of the easiest exams to cheat in, if it weren't such a broad topic, because you're given the sheets before hand, all you have to do is stick a few sheets in under them and you're sorted. And you're shuffling through you're sheets during the exam so it wouldn't look suspicious at all. However it's too hard to predict what's coming up and cheating is wrong! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭OTliddy

I put the second sheet below the first for the skew lines bit and punched holes with my compass through the points A,B,C and E. I bet a load of posts follow saying "duh, everybody knows that trick".

That extra twenty minutes isn't fair. Time was a factor for me and I could have finished Q7(c) if i had another 10 minutes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,711 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

OTliddy wrote:
    I put the second sheet below the first for the skew lines bit and punched holes with my compass through the points A,B,C and E. I bet a load of posts follow saying "duh, everybody knows that trick".
    I didnt :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭jacksie

i was fair flying through the paper, at 20 to 12 i had interpen just set up and was like **** ill never get it done. so i went into overdrive to get most of it done, at 12 i was ready to tidy up when realised i had extra 30 mins.. lol.. pwnd most of it then:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭hum

hey guys,
    i thought the exam today was pretty good, i stuck to my time and managed to get it all done so i was happy enough. some parts were a little tricky like 1 c but generally i thought it was a fair exam..

and Angel thanks for that tip about getting loads of sheets at the start, it saved me about five minutes! the examiner thought i was a bit crazy though!!

i did the loci question and i was really happy with it, what did everyone else think?, i thought it was an easier loci than other years, hopefully paper 2 will be ok too!

cant believe its almost over now, i have tomorrow then off for a week then in on the last day for engineering!

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Alan G

For the cone in tangent planes I got a Steep Cone aswell and taller than cone A....
    If it touches the sphere @ 33mm from the horizontal then you must draw a tangent to the sphere at this point - where this tangent touches the xy transfer it down to the plan and draw this radius from the centre of the sphere - this is where the distances start for your tracery centre!! It came up before in a previous year & i did it recently and thats the way to do it - so if you got a steep cone - i'm almost certain it's right!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭Cina

Then your cones are prolly right, but so is mine, the method was right and it contacted all necessary points. Maybe it was pissible to have a few types of cones that worked out.
    Either way .. Paper 2 now.

• Advertisement

I think it is, as you only have two points in plan of which you have to make a circle. But you need 3 points to make a circle. So maybe there are 2 possibilities. :confused:

Anyway, get off the computer and do some CRAMMING!!! :p

So what did you guys think of paper II?

Slightly harder than Paper One imo, but I think I did well.

It was a very fair paper. No questions that seemed complicated etc.

Yeah I think it was harder, what questions did you do?

I did:
    - Mining
    - Roads
    - Roof
    - Hyperbolic

I made a really stupid mistake with the plane director in hyperbolic, stupid stupid me, worse still I realised just as I was handing up my exam.

Perspective looked interesting...

I did:

Mining: I think I got all of that right.

Roads: Did pretty good. I'm not sure if I took the right approach to the shape thing as the lines weren't perpendicular to the road. :(

Hyperbola:A VERY easy question. I hope for full marks.

Shell: I chose this over the perspective as perspective takes me longer and I was a bit short on time. I regret the decision. That was VERY hard, although I may have got it right. I guessed one of the steps but it came out right so hopefully I got lucky.

All in all, a good exam. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭hum

i did
    perspective
    roads
    shadow
    skew bore holes

i was kinda annoyed with the perspective, its usually my best question but this years was pretty hard, i could finish one part of it..

roads was pretty stantard i think... hopefully i didnt do too bad.

shadow was a really nice question i think it was pretty easy

skew bore holes was ok too..
    i wouldnt say i did as good in this than i did in paper one.. i was kinda expecting it to be a little thougher but hey its over!! :D

im off for a week now then in next friday for engineering!

he he he the engineering paper was very easy. If only I didn't do so bad on paper1...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭Cina

Did Perspective, Roof, Low Saddle (the hyberpola yoke) and roads.
    Got everything right except for the end elevation of the hyberbola don't think that was right. Perspective was a bit hard imo, but I got it done perfect, took the best part of an hour however.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭jacksie

I did:

Mining: I think I got all of that right.

Roads: Did pretty good. I'm not sure if I took the right approach to the shape thing as the lines weren't perpendicular to the road. :(

Hyperbola:A VERY easy question. I hope for full marks.

Shell: I chose this over the perspective as perspective takes me longer and I was a bit short on time. I regret the decision. That was VERY hard, although I may have got it right. I guessed one of the steps but it came out right so hopefully I got lucky.

All in all, a good exam. :)
    exact same really

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 eoinmurphy

To be honest, I found this paper easier than the first. I dunno why? normally its the other way around and I suppose I'm just happier about this one cause I messed up big time with solids in P1.

I did:
    Roof
    Mining
    HyperBolic...
    Road

Roof was amazing, they litterily told you what to do step by step,
    Minig was grand, I think I got (B) and I ran outa time but got most of (c) done,
    De saddle thingy was easy, I did something where I joined the diagonals in plan to give me some wierd points to get the heights for the edges in plan(you know above D and B)
    Road was grand, but there was one wierd bit at the upper left corner of the car park thingy, any one else get that??

All in all, it was a good paper.

P1 was good aswell, apart from the fact that I couldn't get my head around de solids in contact.
    Loci=easy
    Conics=easy
    Inter PLanes=easy

I'm pretty pleased. So are the rest from my school, well.. most of them.
    I'm glad to hear that you can drop 60 points and still get an A. I was worried there for a while.

But now its all gravy...........

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Beno

So Easy!!!
    Much easier than paper 1

I did
    perspective - useally takes me an hour bu had it done in 30min lovely 45d lines. Very easy
    roads - Never liked roads nor sure if i got the bit between the acuet lines done correctly
    bore holes - easy and staight forward
    Hyperbola - never liked this Q prob my worst one
    Roofing - Simple out

Very Happy with the paper i will be disappointed if i dont get an A

She gave us an extra 20min again didn't need it though finished at 4:40

90 out of 120 do td in our school and there will be alot of A's because of 2 excellet teachers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭The Failed God

For mining did anyone get sumthing similar to;dip=34,strike=66,thickness=19m.. Then part (b) the altitude = 57 then part (c) true angle = 42.. Think i got everything right except i had to spoof the hole part on the saddle roof how did ye all do this??

For mining did anyone get sumthing similar to;dip=34,strike=66,thickness=19m.. Then part (b) the altitude = 57 then part (c) true angle = 42.. Think i got everything right except i had to spoof the hole part on the saddle roof how did ye all do this??

Are we meant to state these measurements?

Please tell me no.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭The Failed God

Nope just identify them but you use't have to state them before and we just do anyway.. Dont worry angel its over.....Deep breaths....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 daxon

i did roads in 23 minutes
    and had the bore holes+roads don in 45 mins.
    shadow and shade- went ok
    perspective- i made up some hights on the top hole cus i souldn't find it
    had 45 mins left so i did- hyperballooks prabbles.- never got the plane director - i think

• Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

omg i failed it...

Webmonkey wrote:
    omg i failed it...

What do you expect? You said before that you were definetly going to leave after 30 minutes in both exams!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

eoinmurphy wrote:
    I did:
    Roof
    Mining
    HyperBolic...
    Road

Roof was amazing, they litterily told you what to do step by step,
    Road was grand, but there was one wierd bit at the upper left corner of the car park thingy, any one else get that??

That's exactly what I did - roof was brilliant, none of that locus of the line of intersection stuff they've been throwing up recently.

What do you mean "one weird bit" on road? If you mean a TINY bit of cut/fill (can't remember which) at the top-left corner then yeah I got that. My thing went off the page though, fortunately I had another sheet taped underneath so hopefully the examiner can line them up.

What was the end elevation of the hyperbolic paraboloid supposed to look like? I think I got it but I left it till the end and was kinda pushed for time so it was a bit on the rough side. I think mine looked like the attachment here but I can't really remember...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭upmeath

god your teachers chose some really bad, nasty questions... we covered five, the ones i answer are architectural perspective, roof geometry, shadow projection and shell structures. they're fairly standard, easy questions and i reckon i got at least an a2 on paper ii, it was a hell of a lot easier than paper i IMO.

• Advertisement

upmeath wrote:
    god your teachers chose some really bad, nasty questions... we covered five, the ones i answer are architectural perspective, roof geometry, shadow projection and shell structures. they're fairly standard, easy questions and i reckon i got at least an a2 on paper ii, it was a hell of a lot easier than paper i IMO.

Well I've covered all and I'd say that roads, mining and roof are the shortest and easiest questions on the paper.

Advertisement