Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How exactly should one get into Slayer?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Pyr0

Ph3n0m wrote:
    and while we are just throwing out bands why not pick up

DeathAngel, DarkAngel, Acid Regin, Xentrix, Lawnmower Deth, Kreator, Machine Head, Obituary, Opeth, Nile, Grave, Third Moon, Pestilence, SOD, MOD, Anthrax, Sacred Reich, Exodus, Sentenced, Sodom, Suicidal Tendencies, Vader, The Crown, Cryptopsy, Carcass, Bolt Thrower, Annihilator, Arch Enemy

Those bands should prove a good starter :)

Bit hard to find some Sacred Reich in shops these days...I've only heard their One Nation song and since then I can't find the album it's on anywhere..My damn uncle only has it on Vinyl :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Apparently they're being reissued, not sure when though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

Ignorance and Surf Nicoragua are going to be re-issued again soon, allegedly, by Metal Blade. Metal Blade are selling Heal and Still Ignorant (their last two albums) very cheaply on their website. The American Way and Independant are on different labels and are E-bay purchases only for the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭0utshined

Neil3030 wrote:
    I've been meaning to do so for some time but I've always found the prospect of getting into a band with so many albums quite daunting.

Can anyone single out perhaps one or two of their CDs that a newbie should obtain to get a good grounding?

Reign in Blood and Divine Intervention.

I really like Undisputed Attitude too but that's not typical Slayer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭2+2=5

Neil3030 wrote:
    I've been meaning to do so for some time but I've always found the prospect of getting into a band with so many albums quite daunting.

Can anyone single out perhaps one or two of their CDs that a newbie should obtain to get a good grounding?

Such a ridiculous post... why would someone plan to like a band

• Advertisement

He's not planning to like them he's planning to listen to them for the first time seeing as they're name-checked by a lot of present day metal bands as being an influence. Obviously liking them would be a happy outcome. Since they have a large back catalouge it makes sense to try and find out which of their albums is most representative of their sound.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

0utshined wrote:

I really like Undisputed Attitude too but that's not typical Slayer.
    covers aren't really typical no :)

covers aren't really typical no :)

I was as surprised as you.

Gemini is the dogs though.

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Buddhapadge

Am I the only one who got into Slayer through Divine Intervention? I still think that's a great album, probably my favourite one of theirs. I'm gonna get hammered for saying that... :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭Deadwing

divine intervention is a classis, i dunno why youd get hammered for saying it...lol. Killing fields, 213, classic tracks :D

• Advertisement

Damn right! That album was the only thing that could get me pysched to do six hours of sociology exams a couple of years ago. This was before I discovered coffee. Sex, Murder, Art. Wow.

It's a great album. It was the first album that had Paul Bostaph on it so you were there wondering if he could fill Lombardo's shoes. And then Killing Fields starts... :D

That is without doubt one of the best intros to a heavy metal album EVER! When I was a kid, that song scared the crap outa me. I haven't felt like that since...

Listening to the album again now.That intro is something else, you know you're in for a good time when you hear it. The tour for that album was the first time I saw them and it sounded great live.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

I like Divine Intervention too, but I'd reccommend starting with Seasons. Easiest to listen to I think, and has a hell of a lot of catchy riffs.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

god is dead.i am alive.
    i like their use of ancient quotes :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Kersh

Reign in Blood, Seasons, or South of Heaven are essential Slayer albums.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭JIZZLORD

stay away from their last two albums, thats as good as advise i can give

eh listen to their last two albums :)

^^^^

+1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭Kare Bear

How bout the Soundtrack To The Apocalypse box set :)

gimme gimme!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭Ph3n0m

Soundtrack To The Apocalypse - is only a good purchase if you have absolutely nothing from Slayer, no other recordings, no nothing.

oh ok i have everything but that so ...guess it's not for me.

Advertisement