Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Classics?

Options
  • 16-06-2005 2:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,894 ✭✭✭✭

How are the few people who are doing this subject prepared?

Anyone got any tips or predictions ?

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

Prepared? Arrrgh, I'm more worried about Chemistry

Well I'm going through past papers, not actually writing out entire essays but I'm certai nly working out what I'd use for each essay (waste of time doing the whole bloody thing) And I'm making sure I know the content of all the 39 poems/extracts on the Augustan Writers course

• Closed Accounts Posts: 359 ✭✭vote4pedro

I'm gonna get stuck in to this tonight and hopefully get up to a high B/A by Wed. I'm studying
    Alexander,
    Odyssey & Aenead,
    Oedipus & Medea, and
    Philosophy (Plato's Rep.)

I also think I'll go over Prometheus Bound to try give myself a choice in the Greek Drama section. I'll post up any tips/what I'm studying later on tonight when I've sorted through everything, but if anyone has any tips for Prometheus especially it would be much appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭*Roisin*

I got loads of really good notes for the plays on some website. Have some notes saved on Medea, Oedipus and Promethus if anyone wants them. There's way more information in them than ya need but if you read them there's some good stuff. Pm me if you do.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,894 ✭✭✭✭phantom_lord

What topics are you doing?

Pro, oedipus, media
    Alex
    Greek + roman a+a for me.

Im doing:

Greek Drama
    Alexander the Great
    Augustan Writers
    Greek Art and Architecture

If anyone wants them, I'll email notes on Greek Temples (PM me though, I might not look at this thread again) simply because they're the only thing I have on the computer, I don't have time to be scanning in the rest of my notes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Macka

Fishie are you in Andrews? You're doing the exact same topics that we do and since classics is a pretty rare course I was curious you also said that you're doing your exams in the sixth year centre (not sure many schools have these) and you mentioned that the 3rd years have been confined to the hall is this all a ridiculous coincidence or do I know you?

Macka wrote:
    Fishie are you in Andrews? You're doing the exact same topics that we do and since classics is a pretty rare course I was curious you also said that you're doing your exams in the sixth year centre (not sure many schools have these) and you mentioned that the 3rd years have been confined to the hall is this all a ridiculous coincidence or do I know you?
    Are you James McDermott? I'm Ailbhe

Yes, yes I am so thats Fry, Kennedy, Ed and yourself. I wonder if theres any more....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭Cannibal Ox

Anyone got any tricks for remembering the city plans
    :confused:
    I'm finding it hard to remember the plans.

And....
    Drama
    Alexander
    Epics
    Roman Art and Architecture

Macka wrote:
    Yes, yes I am so thats Fry, Kennedy, Ed and yourself. I wonder if theres any more....
    I've come across a few from other years, but I think that's it from our year

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,416 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

Anyone got any tricks for remembering the city plans
    :confused:
    I'm finding it hard to remember the plans.

And....
    Drama
    Alexander
    Epics
    Roman Art and Architecture
    just remeber there's always basilicas next to the forum, things follow a general kinda lay out. learn leipcis magna, the english and french towns like mental and just skim the rest. battles, mutinys and conpiracies as well as a general question are the order of the day for alexander. are you in belvo or the institute by any chance?

Alexander eh? Though history has me doubting the accuracy of predictions apparantly it should be the Hydaspes and Guagamela for the battles, no sieges this year. Our teacher also seemed pretty pushy about knowing Philip well. I'm just going for the military orientated Qs couldn't be bothered dealing with all the personal crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭shay_562

Alexander - our teacher kept stressing Hydaspes/Gaugamela, but I'm hoping for a few good character questions (maybe the conspiracies).

Greek Art and Architecture I'm totally screwed - anyone heard any predictions?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 Doctor D-Man

vote4pedro wrote:
    but if anyone has any tips for Prometheus especially it would be much appreciated.(Plato's Rep.)

Heh that brings back memories. Remember those cartoons on Action League Now. Prometheus and Bob. Never knew where the name came from. What exactly is prometheus? In the cartoon he was a caveman...

Classical studies sounds hard. Good Luck anyway. If you blank you can alway write about prometheus and bob.

Y Y heh heh he :D
    (o_o)
    / ___\
    I I

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭Cannibal Ox

are you in belvo or the institute by any chance?
    Institute, same teacher for both isn't it?
    I reckon your right, I'll be cramming in the French and British towns tonight.

I think the Hydaspes is a good bet, can't see any of the Greek campaigns coming up and maybe, maybe, we might get Darius. The Mutiny's were flogged as well. Looking through the papers it's usually a battle, a minor character (Parmenio, Darius, Memnon),a Q on Alex and an "incident" (Gedrosian Desert, Mutinys, Burning of the Palace etc, etc).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,416 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

yeah paul bermingham. i wouldnt worry too much about this exam, if you listened to what he says in class you'll be grand, he really knows his stuff. the secondary character question could also be one of those ones where they ask 3 little characters e.g. bessos or coenus or someone like that.

As for 'the incident' question i forgot to say how hotly tipped Egypt is, it's really easy as well cause it's kinda logical(building of Alexandria) and shows loads of shít about Alexander e.g. superstition

i think i'll give oedipus revision a miss, it's too long and dense compared to P.B. and Medea. If a general question comes up i could easily answer it anyway.
    In roman a+a i'm just gonna learn bridges and aqueducts, town planning and paintings and sculptures, p and s is some easy, easy shít unless they be cúnts and ask about the 4 pompeiian (sp?) styles
    epics are grand really, they're just big stories :D
    anyway good luck to everyone and well done for having the balls to pick an enjoyable and rewarding subject even though it does have the highest failure rate at 40%

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Moira

can i ask a stupid q? what are classics all about?? kinda a mixture of history and english is it? never heard of it before so my ignorance is showing!

I've always viewed classics as an easier version of History. Basically it's the study of the Roman and Greek civilisations-their buildings,sculpture,plays,epic stories,poetry,Alexander the Great and I think you can do the Roman Republic, I'm not sure. There are a load of topics and you choose to do 4 so I don't know all of the topics but thats some of them. Its not really like English, you take all the literature at face value, you don't really delve that deep into it or look for hidden meaning, its more like "In his poem The Bore, Horace writes about an encounter he has with another man on the Via Sacra and the man talked to him etc."

I just hope we get nice questions, I'd like a nice exam to finish it all off. Can't wait for it to be OVER!

Ideally I'd love...
    A+A-The Parthenon (oh that would be sweet) and the Kritios Boy
    Alex-Guagamela and Philip
    Plays-Tyranny in Prometheus and Medea's foreigness
    Poets-Horace gen. Q and something on Propertius (I'm sooo screwed for the poetry)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭shay_562

Don't know about any of the rest, but I'd be surprised to see the Parthenon on Greek A&A - didn't the Erechtheum come up last year? And are they really likely to use Acropolis stuff two years in a row? Although I suppose if you're talking about the sculptures rather than the actual temple itself it could be on...

Quick A&A question - what do people think are the chances of theatres coming up? They haven't appeared since 1997, so that could mean they've dropped them from the course or it could mean they're due...really hard to predict classics.

Moira - I'd have described classics as a cross between English, normal history and art history, but it really depends on what topics you're doing. If you're doing plays and epic stories, then it's like English in that you discuss primary themes and issues and character traits; if you're doing art&architecture, then it's quite like art history in that you have to describe sculptures and how they're typical of a period of art; and so on.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,894 ✭✭✭✭phantom_lord

I wouldn't even try to predict what's coming up. The theatre is very rare so i wouldn't bother with that, just cover everything else....

Classics, what a wonderful subject....why do they have to go and ruin it with an exam...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

Right How far am I off the Mark?

Alex - > Egypt / Opis / Guag / Divinity
    Medea -> Creon
    Oedipius-> Greek Tragedy / Teresias / Creon
    Epic (o) ->Disguise/Recogniton/Pen v Dido/ Pheacia
    Epic(a) ->Venus/Dido/Nisus + Euryalus
    A+A ->Achilles/Dyonisus/Riot/Ara Pacis/Constatine Arch/Ampudias/Boy Sarcophagus
    Towns ->Lepcis/Caerwent/Trier/Paestum/Londinium/Paris

Advertisement