Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband in Crosshaven

• 16-06-2005 2:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭

Does anyone know anything about the wireless service from Amocom in Crosshaven in Cork.

Any idea wher the mast is. From their coverage map it looks like spike Island

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭PowerHouseDan

Ring?

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭SparkyLarks

Ring?

I'm planning to.
    I like to get some information before I ring though.
    If some people were to say that there were poblem with line of sight, or even any other issues that may have arrisen.

Just means I know what questions to ask.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭PowerHouseDan

Is normal Broadband out of the Question?Was fixing someone computer in Crss the other day he was half mile out from the exchange,he was thinking of gettin sat. I havent really seen anyone talkin about Amocom but our friendly boards users will help ya out

Is normal Broadband out of the Question?Was fixing someone computer in Crss the other day he was half mile out from the exchange,he was thinking of gettin sat. I havent really seen anyone talkin about Amocom but our friendly boards users will help ya out
    AS far as I know Crosshaven has funding for a Group Broadband Scheme with Eircom as the provider.

That won't be up and running for a while I'd say. I find any more infor about it on the web though. I can't wait anyway.

the other issue is I don't want a phone line so ADSL would cost me more than the wireless. So If I could hear some good reports about amocom esp in crosser then I'd be sold, Providing there's no line of sight issue

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 232 ✭✭fisab

Its hard to get info on wireless providers other than IBB - I guess they dominate the market.
    I havent found another Nova Network user on the boards yet. It would be great to know how people are finding the service before I sign up.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10 oharej

FYI: At the moment Amocom has coverage in excess of 80% of Crosshaven. If you need any further details, please visit www.amocom.com (Coverage map needs to be updated) or give us a call.

Thanks,
    John
    Mahon, Cork,
    Ireland.

Email: oharej@amocom.com
    Phone: +353-21-730-4635
    Fax: +353-21-730-4636
    Direct: +353-21-730-4644
    Web: www.amocom.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 458 ✭✭juliuspret

WHOW!!!

You are incredible EXPENSIVE!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

:eek: :eek: :eek: and those prices are exVAT :eek:
    I suppose if you want it bad enough and it's your only alternative...but still :eek:

The term "milking it for all its worth" comes to mind concerning those prices.

oharej
    You should have known better and not tried to market yourself on this forum...which is populated by a lot of tech savvy and price conscious punters.
    Those prices are close to extortion....

1Mbps / 1Mbps (Install)€149 (Monthly Rental)€199

1Mbit/1Mbit from IBB comes in at €30excl.VAT!!!
    Now as most here know 1Mb wireless dosent normially mean 1Mb in Wireless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭damien

Julius, open your bloody eyes:

Home Starter 512kbps down / 256kbps up €149 install and €35 a month

John is a clever guy, I'm sure if he wanted to he could come up with better ways to screw someone over. Most dsl you get doesn't give 256kbps up.

I know John from what he does around the Cork area and know many who used his service and the level of service and attention you get from John is superb. I don't like advertising other companies because they can hire a marketing person for that but John and his company go very much the extra mile to ensure that those that can't get broadband are able to with his service.

The service you call a ripoff is synchronous. Lots of companies are willing to pay €199 for a 1mb line.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

I think you will find they dont have a choice, what farcical prices.

Im only comparing like with like damien.m and it appears I'm not the only one who feels that those prices are a little high!!!

Amocom charge 512/256 at the same price as IBB's 1024/1024!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭damien

Perhaps if Amocom were operating with the backing of the cash supersaturated National Toll Roads and in a higher density location like Dublin City Centre they could possibly offer the same deal. If you actually want to compare like with like you should bring that into play too. Crosshaven isn't the same. I do believe a GBS will be going in there soon and will also be charging around €35-40 a month for a service. But since it goes over copper the users have to pay line rental too.

I would not consider €35 a month for 512k/256k "farcical" since you don't have to pay line rental on top. Anyway, I'm not going to try and defend Amocom anymore since they really don't need defending. I pointed out that I think their entry level product for what it does and how they go way out of the way to get it for you is value for money.

Eircom were in crosshaven last night, well a sales guy from eircom, offering broadband.

I ran a check on the eircom and the numbers I ran in crosshaven came back with a pass, so it looks like DSL is availible in Crosser.

Advertisement