Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Callers allegedly posing as Smart Telecom

• 16-06-2005 2:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭

Hi all,

I recently had a worrying experience with a caller to my mobile phone
    saying they were from Smart Telecom.

I'm from the Limerick area and had signed up for the trigger programme
    for my local exchange, as there wasn't enough demand in the local area
    for it to go live.

I received a call from a person saying they were from Smart Telecom
    and if I was still interested in getting broadband. As I was, I said so and
    asked them a few questions relating to download and uploads speed, contention ratios, etc., which they were able to answer quickly and promptly.
    They then asked me to confirm my home telephone number and my home address for "billing purposes" and also to send out application forms.
    It seemed all very professional and above board.

However, after a few days waiting, I never received the application forms. Therefore I decided to call Smart Telecom today and enquire as to why there was a delay in this. I spoke to a very nice and professional girl at the call center, who advised me that my local exchange was not live and to her knowledge I shouldn't have been contacted by Smart Telecom. She then advised me to call Smart Telecom's head office in Dublin and enquire with them, as they may have had updated information regarding my local exchange.

I then called the head office, and told them the story so far. They also advised me that my local exchange was not live and I should not have been contacted by Smart Telecom.
    I then advised the representative that I was very concerned over being called by persons claiming to be from Smart Telecom and getting me to divulge my home address and home telephone number. I said that I would like this to be followed up internally by Smart Telecom to see if my suspisions were correct - I am now waiting for a call back on this.

My question to this forum is, has anyone experienced somethig like this?

Much appreciated if anyone has any further info on this.

Cheers,
    Martin.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Did the person have accurate information that you inputted into the Trigger system yourself ? Could someone have left Smart and gone to a competitor and tried this ?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/4579859.stm

Have any DD's been set up on your bank account recently and by whom ?

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭ma11achy

Sponge Bob, thanks for the reply and the advice - but,
    I've just been contacted by Smart advising me that
    the caller that advised me the Caherdavin exchange was
    live - was actually Smart Telecom.

The caller was professional and advised me that it was a mixup
    with one of their call centres. Strange mixup, if they can't tell
    what exchanges they have live....

Anyway, back to dialup.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭Splendid

Did they happen to mention that it was the whitehall exchange that had gone live instead?

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Vunderground

"It seemed all very professional and above board."

No wonder you were suspicious.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

ma11achy wrote:
    Sponge Bob, thanks for the reply and the advice - but,
    I've just been contacted by Smart advising me that
    the caller that advised me the Caherdavin exchange was
    live - was actually Smart Telecom.

The caller was professional and advised me that it was a mixup
    with one of their call centres. Strange mixup, if they can't tell
    what exchanges they have live....

Anyway, back to dialup.

There at that since the company started up. There ringing everyone, including people in rural areas with only like two or three houses without broadband and offering them broadband "straight away" etc. They rang several of my friends and I followed it up for them - had to do the same thing you did (well, I asked them to contact the head office and get back to me - which they did) and I got the exact same responce that it was a "mix up".

That's what put me off going to Smart.

• Advertisement
Advertisement