Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Format of German Letter

• 16-06-2005 3:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭

My friend form another school called over yesterday and saw the way i write my german letters.
    The letter consists of the usual paragraphs but instead of skipping a line and starting a new paragraph directly under the next at the beginning of the line like my friend said, we have always started out new paragraphs in the middle of the following line.
    (Like this)

Could anyone tell me which is the orrect way- Ive been doing loads a letters for my teacher over the past year but she never picked up on it so im at a loss! Vielen Dank fúr die Hilfe!
    Deine BrightSmile

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭Scraggs

..............................................................................Carlow, den 16 Juni

Liebe Brightsmile,
    ........................I think you write the letters like this and when moving on to a new paragraph you skip a line and move in to the same spot you started in the paragraph before hand.
    ........................Like this. This is how its done in english letters and i've always done the same with German ones and havent been penalised. However i have a s**te teacher...thats when i had one of course. Make sure its neat and i think you'll be ok.
    .........................Feel free to correct me if i'm wrong anyone-theres nothing worse than bad advice!!
    ....................... Vielen Dank,
    .........................Scraggs
    PS; excuse all the dots the space werent bein shown

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,868 ✭✭✭Alkers

You could just do whatever is done in the letter you are given to reply to in the exam.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Drag00n79

Start your letter under the L of Liebe(r) and start each subsequent paragraph at the left edge.

However you won't be deducted marks for doing it the other way. Remember to start after Liebe(r) ________, with a small first letter — unless it's a noun. If you start Liebe(r) ___________! then its a capital always starting.
    eg.
    Liebe(r) __________,
    ich habe gestern deinen letzten Brief bekommen.

But

Liebe(r) ___________!
    Ich habe gestern deinen letzten Brief bekommen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭Bright Smile

Na klar, das stimmt!
    Vielen Dank fur die Hilfe, ich hoffe das morgens nicht sehr schlecht sein werden und dass wir etwas leicht in die Angewandte Grammatik bekommen!
    Ich bin sehr dankbar fur die Hilfe, denn ich hatte keine Ahnung, aber jetzt, ware die schriftliche produktion "super"!
    Bis bald, und vielen Dank,
    Deine Brightsmile!
    Im dead on adjectival endings! :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Advertisement