Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Web Design & Screen Resolution

Options
  • 16-06-2005 4:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭

Hey,

I'm wondering what all you folks reckon is the best screen resolution to design in and for when doing websites?

Reason being I'm about to buy a laptop but don't want to buy a huge screen (ie: 1680 x 1250) 'cos apparantly LCD's can't be 'downsized' without distortion/blurring.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

I would advise constructing your website for best use with 1024 X 768
    resolution. Through my site 65% of users use the above resolution ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭ButtermilkJack

Thank You Weathercheck, that's a high enough percentage!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭Rollo Tamasi

thats probably the best resolution alright.
    If you are worried about res issues then you should design using percentages for tables/frames instead of pixels

• Registered Users Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Serbian

Screen resolution stats on the web are as follows (from Feb 2005. Source):
    54%	1024 x 768
    28%	800 x 600
    10%	1280 x 1024
    03%	1152 x 864
    01%	640 x 480
    <1%	1600 x 1200

1024x768 is the most popular alright, but 800x600 is still almost a third of the screen resolutions out there. I always build sites for 800x600 personally so nobody is excluded but that's just a personal preference.

thats probably the best resolution alright.
    If you are worried about res issues then you should design using percentages for tables/frames instead of pixels
    Good advice! I agree, I try to use percentages all the time thru CSS (though I avoid tables/frames like the plague!). Much safer I reckon.
    Serbian wrote:
    Screen resolution stats on the web are as follows (from Feb 2005. Source):
    Great site! Interesting to see Firefox only at 6% though, and IE6 at 81%. Thought that gap might be a bit smaller by now!

I guess the bottom line is, design on whatever you feel comfortable with - more elbow room on the larger res sounds like a plus alright! - but for testing revert back to 1024x768 to make sure all looks sweet.

Thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭rsynnott

It's also worth noting that most people don't run the browser maximised. I use a 1600x1200 monitor, but my browser would rarely be wider than 800x600, and I would avoid sites which try to force it to a silly size.

rsynnott wrote:
    I use a 1600x1200 monitor

Yikes!! How much did that cost?

Oh, well, I think most people wouldn't run it at that resolution (19" CRT)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

For web design I'd and try to keep most of the important features within 800x600 and either have that scalable (eg. using percentages) or have some sort of overflow, so you're not just looking at white space on a higher res.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭kjt

lol I run at 2048x1536 on my 21"

Ummm
    Lately I've been going back down to 1600x1200 though.

• Advertisement

i have a deadly 19" Samsung CRT, bought it on Komplett for about E200, blasted thing broke after about 2 months. I think there was too much power going into or something, it was a german build and came with a "lovely" two pin power supply cable. I learnt a valuable lesson! lol

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

Goodshape wrote:
    For web design I'd and try to keep most of the important features within 800x600 and either have that scalable (eg. using percentages) or have some sort of overflow, so you're not just looking at white space on a higher res.
    True.
    There's nothing worse than looking at sites that do not scale and are left aligned. They look really silly at higher resolutions, however you also have to make sure that the site is viewable and usable at 800x600 (unless it's some kind of pretentious design site where you presume/assume that your audience should only be using high resolutions :P )

blacknight wrote:
    True.
    There's nothing worse than looking at sites that do not scale and are left aligned. They look really silly at higher resolutions, however you also have to make sure that the site is viewable and usable at 800x600 (unless it's some kind of pretentious design site where you presume/assume that your audience should only be using high resolutions :P )

Even that sort of site can no longer make such assumptions; said affluent audience may be using the latest in miniaturised portable technology :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

rsynnott wrote:
    Even that sort of site can no longer make such assumptions; said affluent audience may be using the latest in miniaturised portable technology :)
    In which case you would really need to be using XML :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭soph

I would usually design for an 800 x 600 monitor as unfortunately there are still people out there that insist on using 800x600 and we have to cater for these people as it would be soooo annoying for them to have to scroll across and up and down to view the whole picture

Thanks for all the feedback folks. I just bit the bullet and ordered a Samsung X20 (15.1", 1024 x 768, SuperBright LCD) instead of the HP Compaq nx8220 (15.4", 1680 x 1050, standard LCD).

Will update you all with a review when it arrives! :o

Thanks for all the feedback folks. I just bit the bullet and ordered a Samsung X20 (15.1", 1024 x 768, SuperBright LCD) instead of the HP Compaq nx8220 (15.4", 1680 x 1050, standard LCD).

Eww why?

You could have just changed the resolution.....

That is a fscking bizarre basis for buying a monitor...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Maybe because...
    don't want to buy a huge screen (ie: 1680 x 1250) 'cos apparantly LCD's can't be 'downsized' without distortion/blurring.

You could resize your browser window, you know. Such functionality has been available since MacOS 2, AFAIK ;)

• Advertisement

My bad ;)

kjt, I see you realised your comment was a bit hasty and raised the white flag! but just to clarify, using a 1680x1050 screen res would just wreck my head if all I was going to do was resize windows all day long (and guessing the sizes at that!). Besides, I thought the new technology (SuperBright LCD) was better to have than a bigger screen.

At least with a 1024x768 I'll be designing at 100% for the majority of users. Plus it's a sexy lookin' machine imo!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭hostyle

but just to clarify, using a 1680x1050 screen res would just wreck my head if all I was going to do was resize windows all day long (and guessing the sizes at that!).

Thats why they have browser plugins and bookmarklets that will do the resizing for you at the click of a button.
    At least with a 1024x768 I'll be designing at 100% for the majority of users. Plus it's a sexy lookin' machine imo!

And how do you check what the site would look like on larger resolutions?

hostyle wrote:
    Thats why they have browser plugins and bookmarklets that will do the resizing for you at the click of a button.

What's this now, and how do I use it. Never heard of these but they sound useful?

And how do you check what the site would look like on larger resolutions?

Just design it so it scales out to fill the screen rather than leave empty space. Designing big and scaling down gets messy imo cos you never know how much the user has to scroll to see you content. At least going small < big means you know the same content is going to be on the screen, just re-flowed.

I would prefer if everyone used larger screens and then I could design for larger screens (I use a larger screen for most stuff in work!), but I'd also prefer if everyone used Apple mac's but that ain't gonna happen. So, in the meantime it's a PC laptop for me :D with a middle of the road screen. Not going to be watching dvd's or gaming so I'm looking for lightweight high spec which i think I've found :o

Just design it so it scales out to fill the screen rather than leave empty space. Designing big and scaling down gets messy imo cos you never know how much the user has to scroll to see you content. At least going small < big means you know the same content is going to be on the screen, just re-flowed.

*cough* I know that. That wasn't my point at all. But how do you test something weird doesn't happen at large resolutions if you don't have a large resolution to check with? I'm not saying it will happen to you, but its always best to be able to test these things, and that your reasoning in this particular point was slightly flawed - all IMO of course.

hostyle wrote:
    *cough* I know that. That wasn't my point at all. But how do you test something weird doesn't happen at large resolutions if you don't have a large resolution to check with? I'm not saying it will happen to you, but its always best to be able to test these things, and that your reasoning in this particular point was slightly flawed - all IMO of course.

I agree, it would be advisable to test on all possible configurations, be they platform, software or user/screen based. I'm just trying to convince myself I bought the right laptop that's all ;)

After weeks of reviewing (I'm just that type of person.... :( ) I finally decided on one yesterday. I appreciate the banter though! Great to get other ppls views.

BTW, you sound like you have experience in web design. What screen size do you use, any advantages/disadvantages?

Oh, and what are those bookmarklets thingies you mentioned earlier? Cheers.

I agree, it would be advisable to test on all possible configurations, be they platform, software or user/screen based. I'm just trying to convince myself I bought the right laptop that's all ;)

All possible configurations? Have you tried it on a Vostok analog computer running QNX with a projector and joystick yet?

What screen size do you use, any advantages/disadvantages?

Whatever is at hand :) No advantages / disadvantages. I leave the screen testing up to the graphic designers once I'm finished with xHTML / CSS / etc.
    Oh, and what are those bookmarklets thingies you mentioned earlier? Cheers.

javascript bookmarks. Google for em. I usually write my own.

Advertisement