Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Revolution

Options
  • 16-06-2005 5:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭

WN: The Revolution's controller wasn't shown, but there has been a lot of speculation as to what special functionality it will have. Can you tell us about that?

Miyamoto: Nintendo is always trying to be on the forefront of control innovations, like the analog stick, rumble or wireless. As soon as these are available, our competitors snatch them up.

Because the user interface is going to drive the Revolution software design, that's what's going to make our software stand out. Nobody else is going to be able to do what we do with next-generation game software. So, I can't reveal anything. It's under wraps because it's the big gun.

Read the full story here :

http://www.wired.com/news/games/0,2101,67854,00.html?tw=wn_story_page_prev2

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭grimloch

Good god I am curious as to what they have up their sleeve.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,400 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

It's not even complete yet according to miyamoto. i'd like to know what they are up to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭iregk

I have to say, im not a fan of any console persay but I have had my fill of Sony BS so I'm pretty much ignoring them. But all the fury of the MS -v- Sony battle for some reason Nintendo despite saying and showing nothing have me intrigued!

Is it the oldsaying, the power of what you dont show? All the little rumblings here and there of Nintendo and the secrecy has me gagging for more information. For some reason I think (and i may be wrong) Nintendo are going to steal the show! Sony and MS have been killing each other the past 2 months and have practically ignored Ninty that I think they could have the best machine in the bunch.

With every console nintendo have been in innovators, they always come up with at least 1 new fresh original idea per console and this one must have something incredible.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Steven

A fiver says it's touchscreen technology controllers. This fiver, however, has been known to make baseless and sometimes ridiculous statements before, so I'll wait until it's announced or someone from Nintendo sells some pics to the press.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

iregk wrote:
    I have to say, im not a fan of any console persay but I have had my fill of Sony BS so I'm pretty much ignoring them. But all the fury of the MS -v- Sony battle for some reason Nintendo despite saying and showing nothing have me intrigued!

With MS's "gateway to gaming Zen", "beyond real", and remarks along the same lines, Sony's bull is nothing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

I think every company can spout quite enough BS when it wants to. But Microsoft are especially bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

But Microsoft are especially bad.
    You have to be kidding me, Sony are the king of spouting technical BS.

Back on topic. I think the revolution controllers will be something we have seen before on games machines but either wasn't well made or died due to lack of software support.

I reckon its the apple simplicity model coupled with old sckool atari styling.

Black rubber joystick and 1 orange button only wireless!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭Ri_Nollaig

"the analog stick, rumble or wireless" did nintendo actually come up with those ideas? i do remember first seen the analog sitck on the N64 controller and having a rumble pack. But are they keeping it under wraps causes there is nothing to show yet or do they really have an innovative controller? Did anyone else see the VR headset typething that people though was going to be the next nintendo?
    also on another note ALL the next gen consoles will have wireless controllers but what is going to charge them? rechargeable batterys? AAA?

I don't think a VR headset is feasible because of its cost. I believe I heard the batteries on controllers will be rechargable, plug the controller in at night and its grand or something along those lines.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,400 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

It's been confirmed that the microsoft ones will take 3 AA batteries. I'd rather if they had a rechargable docking bay because changing batteries or recharging them is a right pain.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

nah guys, you've got it all wrong, it's going to be a chip implanted in your face so you can control the games through thought alone. Fact.

On the topic of marketting BS, MS are as bad as Sony it's just that Sony know how to play the game better, MS are still learning (hence the whole Zen crap.)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

MS have shown a lithum battery pack for their controller. You can charge the controller by just plugging them into the USB ports.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

yea i'd say the wireless controllers from sony and ms will be the same as nintendo's wavebird

Rechargable ones would be nice,until it goes at some inconvienant stage.

I like the wireless idea because the amount of times my PS2 has nearly ended up on the floor because the wire gets tangled in my foot when i jump up to get the phone is worringly high.

yeah i would have assumed they were going to have some kinda rechargeable battery would be stupid otherwise really but i wonder will this add much to the weight? have u ever held a orginal ps1 controller after using the ps2 for ages :D the weight difference! guess you get used to it

• Registered Users Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Rhyme

Ive always been partial to controllers with wires... wireless doesnt incite me to buy, my tv's too small anyway. But the new controller is going to have to incorporate influence from the NES, SNES and N64. Id kill for for one of those GC Hori pads Snes-esque.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭TheAlmightyArse

Nintendo's lastest handhelds have had rechargable batteries as standard and are, handily, handheld. The SP particularly, feels lighter than a baby duck. So I can't see there being any problem there.

Ciaran500 wrote:
    MS have shown a lithum battery pack for their controller. You can charge the controller by just plugging them into the USB ports.

If I'm not mistaken (and God knows I could be), you and retro are kind of right. I think the controllers will ship initially with AAA batteries that need to be changed, but a lithium battery pack will follow close behind, maybe some kind of cost cutting measure, but I don't think lithium batteries are THAT expensive.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

flogen wrote:
    On the topic of marketting BS, MS are as bad as Sony it's just that Sony know how to play the game better, MS are still learning (hence the whole Zen crap.)

Yeah, Sony comes out as kings of marketing; MS’s current BS streak has just got my priority - well, for a start, it is current, it is new, it is fecking extremely annoying, and it stands out from the annoyingness the three console makers share in one way or another.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

The whole thing reminds me of that epsisode of the simpsons where the mafia and the triads were fighting out on the law, and little guy in the white suit just stands there doing nothing, and you just know he's going to do something amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Ri_Nollaig wrote:
    "the analog stick, rumble or wireless" did nintendo actually come up with those ideas? i do remember first seen the analog sitck on the N64 controller and having a rumble pack. But are they keeping it under wraps causes there is nothing to show yet or do they really have an innovative controller? Did anyone else see the VR headset typething that people though was going to be the next nintendo?
    also on another note ALL the next gen consoles will have wireless controllers but what is going to charge them? rechargeable batterys? AAA?

they also came up with shoulder buttons.

yeah nintendo have always been the ones to come up with new ideas (good or bad) probably the reason they have a such huge loyal fanbase

Well I think to be fair, now I have never been a Nintendo boy or fan and said on other forums I never got into any of their games but I have huge respect and admiration for them.

We may own Xbox's and PS2's but in our heart of hearts we all like Nintendo for the fact that they come out with new and strange things. MS and Sony play safe, same controllers safe looking design etc... Ninty constantly change things and actually have the balls to be different.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭Hugh Hefner

stevenmu wrote:
    The whole thing reminds me of that epsisode of the simpsons where the mafia and the triads were fighting out on the law, and little guy in the white suit just stands there doing nothing, and you just know he's going to do something amazing.
    Hahahahaha! You're so right!

And I don't think your controler powering off at an inconveinient time will be a problem cos there'll probably be a light showing that you have 1 hour's power left or something, like on the GBAs/DS.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

dreamcontroller.png

not real i know but funny lookin. id say the controller will be shown at Spaceworld or the tokyo games show.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Doubtless whatever controller they come up with it won't be enough for the slavering masses who only want their next sony fix. Ignorant of the genius of Nintendo they will lap up the massmarket tripe and ignore the brilliant ability of Nintendo to produce the best games on the planet. Ok, maybe nothing like GTA but hey, the PS owners have to have something to crow about.
    Lets take a hit out on the Game employees who will contribute to the marketplace death of the next Nintendo, as they have to the current one, the people who spout much rubbish about the PS2 and Xbox and, no doubt, are being primed by the Sony and Microsoft reps to do it al over again.
    What a bunch of morons.
    How I hate them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 304 ✭✭Dagnir Glaurung

What are the odds Nintendo have no new big innovation and only fed us this line to give them more time to think of one while grabbing people's interest and not being completely swept aside by the Sony and Microsoft hype machine?

CiDeRmAn wrote:
    Lets take a hit out on the Game employees who will contribute to the marketplace death of the next Nintendo, as they have to the current one, the people who spout much rubbish about the PS2 and Xbox and, no doubt, are being primed by the Sony and Microsoft reps to do it al over again.
    What a bunch of morons.
    How I hate them.

What? This has been mulled over a thousand times, shops stock what makes money. Nintendo are now in a catch 22 where their products dont perform as well, so they get less coverage, so they perform even worse.
    Do you think your average game employee decides what stock goes where? I can tell you that the Store and Regional managers dont even decide that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

CiDeRmAn wrote:
    What a bunch of morons.
    How I hate them.
    /me uses MIGHTY DEATHGLARE O'DOOM on you.
    Flogen speaks the truth.

Advertisement