Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

So, it's over then...

• 16-06-2005 6:10pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭

Feels like a bit of an anticlimax, to be honest.
    But now I have a lot more time to waste doing nothing! =D

Am I the only person who's finished? (damn I love doing art...)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,672 ✭✭✭elefant

i've still got music and deustch...

that sucks duck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭Hugh Hefner

Yes you are. I have the last exam in the country. Although, I might get the highest marks in the country so it's alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 *dream09*

I still have home ec tomorrow and music next wednesday! it's so crap!just want to finish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

Yes you are. I have the last exam in the country. Although, I might get the highest marks in the country so it's alright.
    Ancient Greek? o.O?

Yep, good ol' Ancient Greek. It's easier than French in all honesty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Fenny

Holy crap, you do Ancient Greek? That's so cool! I SO wanted to do Ancient Greek ... pity I never learned it. I still have Music left. Damn.

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭Alqua

Yep, good ol' Ancient Greek. It's easier than French in all honesty.
    Wow! I'd love to do Latin, but there seems to be a distict lack of Latin teachers in my school...
    Deustch and Music left for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭*MmmPie*

Feels like a bit of an anticlimax, to be honest.
    But now I have a lot more time to waste doing nothing! =D

Yeah I'm so glad I did Art! Ahh it feels so good to be finished. I've go the whole summer to arse about and do, well, nothing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

na german and music still to go

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Diarmsquid

Woodwork on monday, then I'M FREE!
    Got so much planned for the summmer!
    Me can't wait.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭Irishstabber

Me too--Woodwork on Monday then I'm free MUHAHAHAHA
    Have 60% done already so all i need to doo is pass this test to pass overall :D
    Then on 27th its off to see Bono and the crew.
    Then in July its off to meine father in Deutschland for one hell of a holiday....then when I get back its off to apply for a job :p --lounge staff was good, I'll go back.
    Maybe another holiday with the family in Spain or somewhere after that in August :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

I only have music left :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭JackKelly

Although you do have the leaving cert in two and a half years...........HA

Sure if we at the same Leaving Cert standards as we are Junior Cert we know we'll do just fine soo 2 years is a dos :rolleyes:
    I have a nice incentive at the end to work for, so im happy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 Holly Golightly

I'm finished! So what's next? lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 188 ✭✭Strokesa

I have the joint last exam in the country! But its italian. What would happen if u did italian and ancient greek, huh??? Would you have to just not do one or what?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 dazzyc

Nope, I have woodwork on Monday then 13 days and Im off to Portugal for a well ****in deserved break!!!! :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 568 ✭✭✭newgrange

Strokesa wrote:
    I have the joint last exam in the country! But its italian. What would happen if u did italian and ancient greek, huh??? Would you have to just not do one or what?

What they would do in that situation, which you must admit is probably very rare, is the candidate would sit the first exam in the morning, have a supervised lunch (so as not to have candidates who sat the 'other' exam tell them anything) and sit the other exam in the afternoon.

I have heard of at least one case where a candidate sat an exam very early - starting at (I think) seven o'clock in the morning, stayed in the hall supervised at all times, and then sat the 'other' exam with the rest of the centre.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,954 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,878 ✭✭✭Rozabeez

Isnt Ancient Greek pointless? I mean....who speaks it? Surely people would be speaking Modern Greek. You people confuse me. I've got a few hours left till my holidays....*waits*

• Advertisement

Rozabeez wrote:
    Isnt Ancient Greek pointless? I mean....who speaks it? Surely people would be speaking Modern Greek. You people confuse me. I've got a few hours left till my holidays....*waits*
    It's funny how you could almost say the exact same thing about Irish. Although there is no modern 'Irish'. Unless you count English.

I think Latin would have more point than Ancient Greek, though, tbh. At least Latin is a basis for a bunch of other languages.

Ancient Greek looks cool, though.

Yeah but there are some places in Ireland that speak Irish, the gaelteacht areas!

Yeah, that's why I said 'almost'.
    Although it's probably easy to believe that no one speaks it if you've never been to a Gaeltacht.

I've never been to a Gaelteacht...but I dont really have an argument for you either :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭Mysteryfish

Strokesa wrote:

no. if you go onto the SEC website it says in tiny print somewhere that you're not allowed to do ancient greek and italian or latin and classical studies. so... although I'm sure if you REALLY had wanted to you could have made them make an exception.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 779 ✭✭✭Flashling

It' scares me that you know that, seeing as you don't do any of those subjects...and people say I'm the creepy one..

Isnt Ancient Greek pointless? I mean....who speaks it? Surely people would be speaking Modern Greek.
    It's not all about usefulness. You don't watch the news because you might have to go to Iraq. You it cos' you're interested.

Rozabeez wrote:
    I think Latin would have more point than Ancient Greek, though, tbh. At least Latin is a basis for a bunch of other languages.
    Well English, being one of only 2 languages I care about (the other being Japanese and so not having a basis in either Latin or Ancient Greek), is based just as much in Ancient Greek as in Latin, if not more so. It's usually verbs that take Latin roots and nouns that take Ancient Greek roots.

if it gets him the marks he wants who gives a ****

Jakkass wrote:
    if it gets him the marks he wants who gives a ****
    'Cause after the points and marks and stuff, it'd be nice to have spent however long learning something that has a point?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 227 ✭✭jennyq

When I went to the Gaeltacht there was a girl who went to the classes who lived in the actual Gaeltacht, & she wasn't really much better at Irish than any of the people who had come from English-speaking areas. So that shows how much people really speak Irish. Pity though, I quite like Irish, whether it's useful or not. I wouldn't have minded studying another more unusual language too but my school is small so French is the only option :(

'Cause after the points and marks and stuff, it'd be nice to have spent however long learning something that has a point?
    erm theres actually demand for people who learn Ancient Greek to translate documents etc for a historical purpose. They have a ton of people making better translations of the New Testament and Greek legends into english

jennyq wrote:
    Pity though, I quite like Irish, whether it's useful or not.

Irish is VERY useful now...Its the same as having French and German and any other EU language.
    Given not many people speak it but now it an Official EU language so if you know English, French and Irish(or any other EU language) you can get a job almost anywhere...especially in the EU :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Big Ears

Irish is VERY useful now...Its the same as having French and German and any other EU language.

Except that without Irish you could still communicate clearly with everyone in Ireland(except maybe immigrants) while the same can not be said of speaking to people in France without French or people in Germany without German or people in Switzerland with either of those languages .

Finnished monday by the way.......woodwork .

Given not many people speak it but now it an Official EU language so if you know English, French and Irish(or any other EU language) you can get a job almost anywhere...especially in the EU :)
    So they made it official? W00t. This means I could probably drop French, doesn't it?

'Course not going to.. probably...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,511 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Most colleges like you to have a modern (i.e. foreign, European) language as an entry requirement.

• Advertisement

@Big Ears
    Its an official language now---if you can speak it with anybody is besides the point...It has to be taken on a job application. If you wanna work in France for the EU Irish is a language that can be presented as one of the 2 Foreign EU Languages you need to speak.

Finally it's over (and I'm still wearing my uniform)! Greek was alright. Definately a B with A potential. Wait and see.

It was a weird exam with only 4 people. There were 2 examiners and they moved us into a corner of the huge gym. It was........ cosmic.

Finally it's over (and I'm still wearing my uniform)! Greek was alright. Definately a B with A potential. Wait and see.

It was a weird exam with only 4 people. There were 2 examiners and they moved us into a corner of the huge gym. It was........ cosmic.
    YAY! I'm finished too...and still wearing my uniform! If you think it was weird with just 4 people, I was the ONLY person in my exam hall!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,264 ✭✭✭JBoyle4eva

I'm surprised someone on Boards did Ancient Greek. I would've presumed nobody did it.

There's about 20 in the whole country. Very possibly less. In fact, quite probably.

• Advertisement

They do it in Belvedere....

Advertisement