Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So, it's over then...

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

'Cause after the points and marks and stuff, it'd be nice to have spent however long learning something that has a point?
    erm theres actually demand for people who learn Ancient Greek to translate documents etc for a historical purpose. They have a ton of people making better translations of the New Testament and Greek legends into english

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭Irishstabber

jennyq wrote:
    Pity though, I quite like Irish, whether it's useful or not.

Irish is VERY useful now...Its the same as having French and German and any other EU language.
    Given not many people speak it but now it an Official EU language so if you know English, French and Irish(or any other EU language) you can get a job almost anywhere...especially in the EU :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,977 ✭✭✭Big Ears

Irish is VERY useful now...Its the same as having French and German and any other EU language.

Except that without Irish you could still communicate clearly with everyone in Ireland(except maybe immigrants) while the same can not be said of speaking to people in France without French or people in Germany without German or people in Switzerland with either of those languages .

Finnished monday by the way.......woodwork .

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

Given not many people speak it but now it an Official EU language so if you know English, French and Irish(or any other EU language) you can get a job almost anywhere...especially in the EU :)
    So they made it official? W00t. This means I could probably drop French, doesn't it?

'Course not going to.. probably...

• Registered Users Posts: 78,436 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Most colleges like you to have a modern (i.e. foreign, European) language as an entry requirement.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭Irishstabber

@Big Ears
    Its an official language now---if you can speak it with anybody is besides the point...It has to be taken on a job application. If you wanna work in France for the EU Irish is a language that can be presented as one of the 2 Foreign EU Languages you need to speak.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭Hugh Hefner

Finally it's over (and I'm still wearing my uniform)! Greek was alright. Definately a B with A potential. Wait and see.

It was a weird exam with only 4 people. There were 2 examiners and they moved us into a corner of the huge gym. It was........ cosmic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 188 ✭✭Strokesa

Finally it's over (and I'm still wearing my uniform)! Greek was alright. Definately a B with A potential. Wait and see.

It was a weird exam with only 4 people. There were 2 examiners and they moved us into a corner of the huge gym. It was........ cosmic.
    YAY! I'm finished too...and still wearing my uniform! If you think it was weird with just 4 people, I was the ONLY person in my exam hall!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,264 ✭✭✭JBoyle4eva

I'm surprised someone on Boards did Ancient Greek. I would've presumed nobody did it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭Hugh Hefner

There's about 20 in the whole country. Very possibly less. In fact, quite probably.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 188 ✭✭Strokesa

They do it in Belvedere....

Advertisement