Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Applying for Grants if studying in the UK??

Options
  • 16-06-2005 6:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16

does anyone know if it is possible to apply for grants in Ireland if u are planning on studying in the Uk? and if so what is the procedure??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭<Jonny>

Why would the Irish gov pay for you to desert them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 ashmurph

nope dey the ones who r desertin me. d points r 2 high here and i plan on comin bck when im qualified. its just not possible to apply to the english government and it is quite expensive to leave there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭astec123

I applied to the EU got a form and got my fees paid. Talk to someone at the EU office in dublin and see what they say, but if you are applying now I believe your way too late. Mine was sorted in march.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭scorpy

ehh, I was under the impression you had to apply under the british system or no dice! I swear, I'm going to strangle my guidance counsellor not telling me these things...

what form was it you got, anyway?

Dont remember, it was ages ago. But I got all the fees paid. Trust me your guidance teacher managed to tell you how to go to the UK I ended up explaining it to mine, she had no idea. All I know is that the form got sent to me and was green and huge, just call up the EUs office in dublin and ask they will happily help you out. I assume you applied to UCAS already?

• Advertisement

oh yes I have indeed. and britain was all my idea - I had to learn about UCAS and explain it all to him because there were two other girls who wanted to apply. talk about eleventh hour... one of the others didn't get around to applying(for dentistry, even) til the day before the final deadline!

anyway, I'll call up the office. anything to lessen the cost - my mother's practically blaming me for our not being able to afford a proper holiday this summer ;_;

Try having a sister off to uni too she skipped TY, and a dad thats gone back to college too to fulfill a lifelong dream. Then talk to me about hell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 Po-2

yes you can you get onto the your local county council and i think the health board too depends on where you goin ring the university and they will help u cant exactly remember mine but found the universities very helpful

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭Beau

yeh i got that fees form ages ago too. I think the deadline for it has past. I never botherd doing it myself casue I was never REALLY serious about going. I should get enough points for Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭upmeath

It's kind of like Access or Hear here in Ireland, if you want funding to study in the UK and you've applied through UCAS then you got a book about it about two months ago with response due around May 27th on your part, if I recall correctly.
    The main snag is that for ANY funding whatsoever, your parents have to earn below £27k per annum, which is around €40k. And if you are eligible, then what are you doing on the internet running up the phone bill?

• Advertisement

ahh, I know the forms we're talking about here. we got it a couple months ago, and we're just over the limit for eligibility. oh well...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 TaraC

not many people seem2realise dat d saas in scotland pays4ur tuition fees in scotland if ur applyin from ireland

yeah, scotland's cool about fees. no fees for their universities, and scottish students don't pay fees in the rest of britain too, I think.

Advertisement