Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Driven mad - from overclocking!!

Options
  • 16-06-2005 7:07pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭

:mad: ffs....San Diego 4000+ (0515), so i was running this CPU @ 2.6Ghz DDR433 @ 2-2-2-5. So reading various reviews and websites/forums i see people are able to get 2.8Ghz on air.

So i buy some OCZ PC3700 rated for 2-3-3-8 (DDR466) @2.8V...sweet, got the memory and installed. Went fine, did a few passes of Memtest86+ 1.55 at stock speeds/voltages...cushdy.

Now i jump to 232FSB which should translates into a CPU of just under 2.8Ghz and DDR466....no way Jose, can't boot into Windows. :mad: :mad:

Bump the CPU voltage to 1.425V, nada...so i try drop the multiplier to 11.5x and 232FSB, nada again?? :confused: , Memtest reports the memory running at 222FSB, not 232????....even though it's set to 232FSB in BIOS.

Drop multi to 11x and 240FSB...success, 2.64GHz @ DDR480....the memory passes with 2-3-3-8 timings @ 2.8V, impressive.

So what is holding me back?, i can't go higher then 240FSB on this motherboard, Gigabyte GA-K8NXP-9 nForce4 Ultra.

The best i can get using the normal multi of 12x is 224FSB = 2.69Ghz....i was at 232 and kept dropping by one MHz until i was able to boot into Windows.

Can anyone suggest another tweak or tactic i can use?....would i benefit more from the increased FSB/memory bandwidt as opposed to raw CPU speed?

Like is 2.8GHz @ DDR466 better then 2.64GHz @ DDR480?...dunno, maybe i just can't get the CPU any higher.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭Dman_15

Maybe the chip is maxxed out at 2.6 stock? You may have got a poor overclocker, nothing is garanteed when it comes to getting a good overclock.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭DemonOfTheFall

What cooling do you have ? What temps are you getting ?
    You may have just got a really really awful CPU. Most people with 3000+s can get them higher than 2.6

• Registered Users Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

"Like is 2.8GHz @ DDR466 better then 2.64GHz @ DDR480?...dunno, maybe i just can't get the CPU any higher."

The real question is would u notice the difference... Maybe u'll get a extra 20poins in 3dMark but what use is that??? As Dman says its all down to luck with the CPU....

• Registered Users Posts: 65,469 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

i can't go higher then 240FSB on this motherboard, Gigabyte GA-K8NXP-9 nForce4 Ultra

That's very limiting. Why did you pick the Gigabyte NF4 mobo?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

I've always liked Gigabyte products, top quality and great extras. I have eight 80mm fans inside the case and they all run @ 1800RPM. My CoolerMaster Hyper6 has two 80mm fans in push/pull...both of these are 1800RPM.

I think my cooling setup is pretty good with some 14 fans running, i must be doing something wrong or possibly the BIOS is holding me back.

• Advertisement

Personally i'm not a fan of Gigabyte mobo's... The one i got off u, as great as it is, isn't the best for Ocing. Tis nothing compared to the asus p4p800 im using now. The gig is a great board tho with lots of features but its not my cup of tea(which is why the GF is using it now ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,121 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

id imagine its the board aswell, depsite the fact gigabyte are normally the most expensive and feature laden they rarely clock well

But the question you need to ask yourself richard is why bother, i used to be the same, dying to squeeze every last mhz out but you wont notice the difference and its not worth the hassle or the expense.

The only thing is, your new set up prob isnt any faster than youir fx53? which negates the point of upgrading in the first place.

I havent upgraded in 6 months now and i enjoy using my pc more and more importantly it is all in one piece instead of being half apart most of the time :o

FInally 14 fans, get some watercooling for gods sake :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

unklerosco wrote:
    Personally i'm not a fan of Gigabyte mobo's... The one i got off u, as great as it is, isn't the best for Ocing. Tis nothing compared to the asus p4p800 im using now. The gig is a great board tho with lots of features but its not my cup of tea(which is why the GF is using it now ;-)

Yeh the asus p4p800 is class for oc'ing thats how i got the p4 up to 4ghz :) . I'd also have to agree with the lads, i dont think gigabyte are the best for oc'ing

• Registered Users Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭WizZard

Give me the SD 4000+ and I'll see if I can get some more Mhz out of it :D

Seriously, I'd imagine the limiting factor is your mobo :(

Yeah, mobo id say.

• Advertisement

gline wrote:
    Yeh the asus p4p800 is class for oc'ing thats how i got the p4 up to 4ghz :) . I'd also have to agree with the lads, i dont think gigabyte are the best for oc'ing

I used to have the Asus P4C800, twas the best mobo I ever had... Was lightning fast n was stable as a sober dog with 4 legs. Have a abit IC7 that im gonna try out n see if it'll clock any higher...

• Registered Users Posts: 65,469 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

unklerosco wrote:
    Have a abit IC7 that im gonna try out n see if it'll clock any higher...

If my memory serves me right, the IC7 is one of the best clockers for the P4C :)

I've seen many reports with it hitting 300FSB....on air!

Update on this...upgraded to the new F6 bios dated June 21st 2005. This bios is RADICALLY different to anything previous, tons of new options and settings.

Anywhoo, i was able to set the FSB to 245 (HTT 4x) and set the multi to 11x. Which means i have the CPU at 2.7Ghz with 2.5-3-3-8 timings, DDR490...not bad!

Though i have the VCore @ 1.450V, i am hoping i can get the memory to go DDR500 with the CPU @ 2.75Ghz!!, is it safe to set the VCore to 1.475-1.500V???

It should be, but I wouldn't go over 1.475v if I were you. The rev E cores don't seem to see much of an improvement after that.

<edit>Make sure it's well cooled</edit>

Thats a pretty high Vcore.... Don't expect it to live for too many years. Could suffer sudden death up that high too. My 9800pro died after just 6 months from being flashed to an XT to get the teensie .1v increase on the core

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

WizZard wrote:
    <edit>Make sure it's well cooled</edit>

How well cooled?
    Are we talking a decent copper sink (eg T'right XP-90c) or dangerden watercooling?

A good copper(if poss.) HSF with a fan at high speed. Think XP120 with a Vantec Tornado ;)

NOT the stock cooler.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

what version of cpuz is that?

• Advertisement
Advertisement