Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best mixer for €200-€300?

• 16-06-2005 7:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭

Finally got my loan approved and sorted out a set of second hand technics :)
    I'm kind of dubious about buying a second hand mixer, so i've decided to go for a new one for under €300 and upgrade to a djm600 or somesuch in a years time.
    any recommendations for this price range?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 410 ✭✭bucks

If you could scrape together a few more pennies i would suggest the Pioneer DJM 300. Excellent little mixer and you would only need to go for the djm 600 if you needed extra chanels, other than that there would be no point upgrading.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

aye. i've been thinking of the djm300
    would like to have a bit of cash left over for wax though :/
    as it stands i've got €500 left to spend

Well its €379 euro from aquarius out in leixlip.
    I know lads who have gone out and bought the djm500 + djm600 and only use two channels and none of the effects whick is a waste considering the price of the damn things.

If you are planning on upgrading in a year then just get something like a behringer, gemini or numark to get you by till then. Should get a half decent behringer for just over €100.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭fish fingers

the djm300 is agreat little mixer.i have mine 4 or 5 yrs, never a bit of trouble.
    i've used the 500 and 600 in clubs,but as was akready said you wont really use all those flangers and stuff after a while. two channels and crossfader is all you need. handy beat counter too if you startin out. fairly accurate.

cheers :)
    think i'll look into cheaper options that the djm series for the time being.
    i'll be getting a laptop and possibly a cdj or two next year, so 2 channels definitely wouldn't be enough.
    i'd say a cheap beringer will be just the job for now
    i kind of want to avoid using beat counters as much as possible - they've made me seriously lazy over the past few years of using pc dj software. i'm grand at corrections and all that jazz, but i couldn't get 2 records playing at the same speed to save my life :o
    it would prolly be for the best if i just jump in the deep end and (re)start without beat counters

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,008 ✭✭✭rabbitinlights

So your looking for more than 2 channels for less than €300?
    Most 3 channel mixers under €300 are going to be a little rough around the edges but these would do:

Numark DM3050 - €119
    Stanton - SMX301 - €199

If you could go to €399 id go for this:
    Numark DXM-09

I have the 2 channel version and its savage, great sound and the effects are good too.

Ill be buying a CD deck soon so Ill have to buy a multi channel mixer........
    Xone92 My dream mixer.

Or if you wanna go all retro.......
    Allen & Heath Mmmmm Rotary mixer............

Sean.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

Stay away from numark, there cross faders are nutorious for leaking -
    go for a vestax pvc 175/250, well built mixer and if you want then upgrade to a efx500, now you have more control than adjm 600 has...

So your looking for more than 2 channels for less than €300?
    Most 3 channel mixers under €300 are going to be a little rough around the edges but these would do:
    nah. i guess i'll be going for a decent 2 channel one to keep me going until i can afford something to make use of more channels.

also, where would be a decent place to buy online?
    musicstorekoeln.de seem to have some good prices - i'd say the shipping is pretty damn pricey though...
    Ill be buying a CD deck soon so Ill have to buy a multi channel mixer........
    Xone92 My dream mixer.
    so many knobs!
    there's a puddle of drool forming on my keyboard right now

I have been hearing good things about http://www.thomann.de/thoiw6_index.html , the main prob with buying any equipment on the web is the guarantee, ie. will they fix it if it goes belly up and how long will it take to fix. The above crowd seem to fairly respectable in this case.

While your at it ring up Niall in Aquarius Sound ( 01 6243777 ) tell him your budget and he will get you the best mixer for your needs, you will also have the reliability of buying from an Irish company.

bucks wrote:
    While your at it ring up Niall in Aquarius Sound ( 01 6243777 ) tell him your budget and he will get you the best mixer for your needs, you will also have the reliability of buying from an Irish company.
    hmmm. they have a pioneer djm707 on special offer for €475. not really what i'm looking for though. and it seems to be available elsewhere for a lot less...
    the gemini pmx-04 seems alright at €220. would only cost €10 to get it couriered to galway too :)
    still a good bit over the rrp though... but it'd almost be worth it to have somewhere i could return it to if things go wrong

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,008 ✭✭✭rabbitinlights

Anyone know of anywhere online that sell's vinyl storage things that hang on the wall, kinda like what record shops have behind the counter? somewhere cheap that postage isnt a killer?

Sean.

You could try http://www.htfr.com/storage/ , im sure most of the other big record shops in the UK also sell them.
    Not sure of anywhere in Ireland though, but ill keep an eye out.

http://www.htfr.com/more-info/?catno=MR129446

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭spyro_2001ie

Anyone know of anywhere online that sell's vinyl storage things that hang on the wall, kinda like what record shops have behind the counter? somewhere cheap that postage isnt a killer?

As long as your not trying to win design awards. Just get some MDF, a saw, some screws and Bobs your uncle.

Disclaimer : Bob may not be your uncle

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Anima

lol :)

http://www.maplin.co.uk/module.aspx?ModuleNo=35748&doy=19m6

i might just be a cheapass and pick up one of these tomorrow...
    i've got a load of vouchers for maplins going unused at the mo.
    should do to get me started tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

I may be a bit late with this post but I have the above mixer. It came with a package deal and while the mixer is good in terms of levels and the headphone cue, the crossfader can be a bit dicky. Every now and then it leaks the other channel. A little bit of twiddling usually fixes it but it can be annoying. Also, only having low and high equlaizer knobs to play with is a bit boring. Now kills or middle frequency. Having said that, if you're just looking to get practicing on your beatmatching it's OK for the job.

mordeith wrote:
    I may be a bit late with this post but I have the above mixer. It came with a package deal and while the mixer is good in terms of levels and the headphone cue, the crossfader can be a bit dicky. Every now and then it leaks the other channel. A little bit of twiddling usually fixes it but it can be annoying. Also, only having low and high equlaizer knobs to play with is a bit boring. Now kills or middle frequency. Having said that, if you're just looking to get practicing on your beatmatching it's OK for the job.
    hmmmm... kinda put me off it now. i guess you can't go wrong with spending €75 on a mixer you're planning to ditch in a year or less.

If you are definitely planning on ditching it in a year then you may as well go for it. More money isn'y always gonna be best anyway. I was playing a set on a mate's Technics and a high end mixer. Major problem with the headphone cue level. Even with it turned all the way up I could barley hear the incoming track over the PA. So make sure whatever mixer you get that this isn't an issue.

mordeith wrote:
    Major problem with the headphone cue level. Even with it turned all the way up I could barley hear the incoming track over the PA. So make sure whatever mixer you get that this isn't an issue.

Your problem there is your headphones.

Get a good pair like the HD 25's which will cover all off your ears and block unwanted external noise.

bucks wrote:
    Your problem there is your headphones.

Get a good pair like the HD 25's which will cover all off your ears and block unwanted external noise.

Possibly, mind you they were Seinnheiser, so unless they were damaged in some way they shouldn't have been the problem. I mean even a cheapo set of headphones should blow your ears off if the cue level is even over halfway up :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement