Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Warning: Eircom have halfed download caps

• 16-06-2005 8:14pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,940 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I dont believe this, eircom have decided to half the download cap without warning in the middle of this month, I have just checked my usage webpage and what was a 16gig cap is now back to 8gig and im now in the red over the cap, like wtf, well im ringing in the morning and either switching to their lower package or binning my broadband altogether for a few weeks and moving to bt...

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

There are still caps? dear oh dear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 364 ✭✭odie

Just checked mine and it is still at 16gb, maybe they haven't got around to me yet

Also check the link in this thread to their recent press statement
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=268841

And this, as they are still advertising 16gb caps on BBPlus
    http://home.eircom.net/products/

I guess they can't make their mind up the muppets.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,940 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

gonna ring up in the morning and find out what the hell is going on, if it really is going to be back to a 8gig cap for the homeplus package at 55 euro a month then were all wasteing our money on that package and may as well switch back to homestarter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Gonzo wrote:
    gonna ring up in the morning and find out what the hell is going on, if it really is going to be back to a 8gig cap for the homeplus package at 55 euro a month then were all wasteing our money on that package and may as well switch back to homestarter.
    Your already wasting your money on that package.
    BT are €57 for 2MB including line rental, 24GB cap and no minimum contract;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

I am simply stunned! Everyone here with eircom should move to Esat maybe if enough people desert them they will begin to see their madness.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭qwertz

How do you cancel Eircom Broadband?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

if you ring 1800512128 they will confirm it

1. If your next bill is due before 07/07/05 you have a cap of 16Gb which will rest to 8gb on the billing date

2. If your next bill is due after 07/07/05 your cap has ALREADY been set to 8Gb not 16Gb , disconnect and reconnect and go to stats to check.

3. If your bill comes in after 07/07 and if you exceed the cap that is NOW set you will be charged €3 per Gb in excess of the cap.

4. The excess charges for HOME users are being introduced along with the time limited products , it seems from the specific wording of what they said that business users will not be charged for exceeding their caps, odd.

5. There is an Unpublished cap on the excess charges per Gb, eg the Cap for the €54 product will be 8Gb and there is a charge of €3 for every extra Gb but this excess charge is in itself capped , maybe at €199 or €299 a month or so they simply wouldn't say or are not sure themselves at this point .

Be very careful if your next bill comes in after the 7th of July, thats when we will really find out what the new billing system does.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

@Qwertz
    First contact the provider you are switching to and get the name of the salesperson you speak to.
    Tell them you currently have Eircom BB and they will send out a transfer authorisation form. Fill it out and send it back and put the name of the person you were talking to on the envelope.
    DON'T ring Eircom to cancel as the transfer form will give the new provider authorisation to cancel it on your behalf.
    That's the way it worked for me on my switch from UTV to BT :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭Berger

OK after being on hold and passed on for about an hour, I've spoken to about 5 different Eircom people and they either dont know about the reduction in the cap or they say it's an error and the press release is "yet to be finalised". I dont know what the hell to think.

Berger wrote:
    they either dont know about the reduction in the cap or they say it's an error and the press release is "yet to be finalised". I dont know what the hell to think.

The press release is on the EIRCOM WEBSITE , how much more final can you get ? Here, Why dont you read their press release back to them

http://mmm.eircom.ie/press/PressRelease_Target.asp?id=409&y=2005

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭Berger

I know, they're a joke. Im cancelling my order now anyway. Gotta pay €125 to get this line removed though and go with esat :(

edit: I gave him the url and he read it and said it wasn't finalised.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

Why the **** would they publish an unfinalised report.

It's a bit of a joke really, the difference in price for just an extra mb!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 412 ✭✭Fr Dougal

I have just been on to eircom they told me it's a typo. There is no change to the current products.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭PixelTrawler

Gonzo wrote:
    I dont believe this, eircom have decided to half the download cap without warning in the middle of this month, I have just checked my usage webpage and what was a 16gig cap is now back to 8gig and im now in the red over the cap, like wtf, well im ringing in the morning and either switching to their lower package or binning my broadband altogether for a few weeks and moving to bt...

Firstly, the eircom home page is still advertising the plus product as a 16 gig cap

Secondly if this came into affect theres something to consider.
    Theres two types of plus customers. Theres the ones from before the upgrade. They had an 8 gig cap which they had when they signed their contract, eircom moved them to 16 gig but maybe be able to move them back to 8

There the people who signed up after april - myself included - who signed up to a 16 gig account - i never had 8 gig ever. If eircom then go and half the cap surely this is breach of contract. There would be war over this. If they alter the parameters of a product you are paying for its no longer the same product and at the very least you should be able to walk away from the contract or get a significat discount - say half? I mean they would be having my account allowance.

Surely they would get their knuckles severly rapped for this ( by ComReg? ) , if they lured in new customers with a 16gig allowance and then within 2 months halved it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,160 ✭✭✭Serbian

That's not what they are telling SpongeBob...
    Sponge Bob wrote:
    if you ring 1800512128 they will confirm it

1. If your next bill is due before 07/07/05 you have a cap of 16Gb which will rest to 8gb on the billing date

2. If your next bill is due after 07/07/05 your cap has ALREADY been set to 8Gb not 16Gb , disconnect and reconnect and go to stats to check.

3. If your bill comes in after 07/07 and if you exceed the cap that is NOW set you will be charged €3 per Gb in excess of the cap.

4. The excess charges for HOME users are being introduced along with the time limited products , it seems from the specific wording of what they said that business users will not be charged for exceeding their caps, odd.

5. There is an Unpublished cap on the excess charges per Gb, eg the Cap for the €54 product will be 8Gb and there is a charge of €3 for every extra Gb but this excess charge is in itself capped , maybe at €199 or €299 a month or so they simply wouldn't say or are not sure themselves at this point .

Be very careful if your next bill comes in after the 7th of July, thats when we will really find out what the new billing system does.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭PixelTrawler

im still not sure if legally they could half the service to a new customer with a signed contract 2 months into it and charge the same for it

the home page and the product pages still list the plus product as 16 gig,

if they've started reducing the caps and at the same time are still attracting in new customers telling them they will have 16 gig then this is a seriously dodgy business practice for any company and this will attract a flood of bad press and complaints

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

They probably have something in the contract about Eircom having a right to change the product and service at any time.

Although thats a good point about attracting new customers using outdated information!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,160 ✭✭✭Serbian

kaids wrote:
    There are still caps? dear oh dear.

Caps aren't the problem. Unrealistic caps are the problem. A 2 Meg connection with only 8Gb cap is ridiculous. Anyway, the Terms & Conditions of any service always stipulate that they can change the service by giving the customer 1 months notice. Within that one month you should have the right to cancel, incurring no cancellation fees.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

im with eircom
    i keep under 40 gb a month and have had no surprises on the bill
    people on here worry about the caps too much

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Sarsfield

I'm inclined to think Sponge Bob is talking out his arse

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 566 ✭✭✭byrnenj

I called eircom. They think it's a typo and are looking into it. They checked with someone while I was on hold and the customer service person said it looks to be a typo and they will look into it further!

Sarsfield wrote:
    I'm inclined to think Sponge Bob is talking out his arse

Both sides of it like all good Sponges can.

Why dont you mail Phil and ask. I'm not on an Eircom Residential package so I dont care.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 TheToast

Serbian wrote:
    Caps aren't the problem. Unrealistic caps are the problem.

We have to stop thinking like this. Caps are a problem and shouldn't be tolerated. By accepting caps as being ok, we're letting them control us. In the UK, AOL was going to put a 40GB cap on a capless service and there was uproar so they had to keep the cap off. Why should we settle for such a shoddy service from such a major company? I'll tell you why, because no one's able to fight them. Surely launching a legal campaign against them would be pointless since they can afford to fund a huge defence and their accounts are a lot fuller than mine. They're running a total monopoly and going public was the worst thing to ever happen to the people of Ireland. Now they don't have to answer to anyone except their shareholders (who obviously mustn't be using their broadband service) and ComReg in reality can do nothing. Look how far they've gotten on getting eircom to offer a fair service transfer programme!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Stevek101

Its a typo its as simple as that. eircom may have been expensive but I never had a problem with them. BT are useless so they even consider moving to them. Riddled with problems, well thats what I found.

Spong Bob, isn't he not connected to Smart Telecom? If he is I wouldn't listen. Smart are the a puppet company. They make promises they never fuliful and are there speed 8mbps yet? It says its four times faster than current BB on their ad, or is 12mbps to compete with ntl?

Just sit tight and don't freak everything will funnily enough stay the same. Don't mind what the anti-eircom or Smart telecom fan boys say its all just propaganda.

If you're that concerned call eircom yourself. Don't read what people are saying here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 TheToast

Smart's ads are out-dated. They were boasting 4 times faster back when eircom was 512kbps. I wouldn't touch them anyway. They're totally set up to go bankrupt. They're already tens of millions in debt and I can't see them going on much longer... who'd finance a company that's already so deep in debt and have so many promises left to fulfill?

Stevek101 wrote:
    Spong Bob, isn't he not connected to Smart Telecom? If he is I wouldn't listen.
    Who is Spong Bob steve-007 or are you listening , I suppose not ??
    If you're that concerned call eircom yourself. Don't read what people are saying here.
    For the slow witted amongst us I printed the phone number earlier in this thread as an encouragemnet for all to ring them.

If they change their minds it may be because people ring them in droves and force them into a prompt U-Turn. This happens all the time when half arsed product announcements come out .

For the really really slow witted amongst us Sponge Bob has nothing to do with any BB operator but I dunno about this mysterious Spong Bob fella !

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,940 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

I rang up and eircom told me that it's a typo and that the cap will stay at 16gigs for the homeplus package.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Stevek101

Stevek101 wrote:
    Its a typo its as simple as that. eircom may have been expensive but I never had a problem with them. BT are useless so they even consider moving to them. Riddled with problems, well thats what I found.

Sponge Bob, isn't he not connected to Smart Telecom? If he is I wouldn't listen. Smart are the a puppet company. They make promises they never fuliful and are there speed 8mbps yet? It says its four times faster than current BB on their ad, or is 12mbps to compete with ntl?

Just sit tight and don't freak everything will funnily enough stay the same. Don't mind what the anti-eircom or Smart telecom fan boys say its all just propaganda.

If you're that concerned call eircom yourself, the number has been posted earlier. Don't read what people are saying here.

Is that ok?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Sarsfield

Sponge Bob wrote:
    If they change their minds it may be because people ring them in droves and force them into a prompt U-Turn. This happens all the time when half arsed product announcements come out .

"They changed their minds at the last minute" = code for "I've been talking shyte again"

• Advertisement

Sarsfield wrote:
    "They changed their minds at the last minute" = code for "I've been talking shyte again"

icon10.gif LOL . icon10.gif

Advertisement