Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Irish newspapers do video game reviews?

Options
  • 16-06-2005 9:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭

This post has been deleted.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,190 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Erm, I think the Herald. The Mirror on Saturdays used to have a tech section, but I've not seen it in ages. Reviews are untrustworthy IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭smiaras

• Registered Users Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭grimloch

I might be off the mark for what you're looking for but a simple google search will get a feast of good reviews.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Rhyme

IGN and Gamespot are always good...

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

The Sunday World does a reviews a game most sundays
    The Star does it also but don't know when.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

the star do it on fridays, but they are so terrible and like so behind, last weeks colum was about E3 which was a month ago

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

To be honest, I should know more about this stuff, and I should have read all of Ireland’s print games coverage at least once. Saying ‘I do’, or ‘I have’, would be lies… but, here’s what I do know… patchy at best…

The last time I read the Irish Indo on a Friday (a few months ago) they had games reviews on Fridays near the back of the ‘In and Out’ (?) entertainment and lifestyle magazine supplement.

Ronan Price does a column for the Evening Herald - his blog http://logondaily.blogspot.com/ covers what's in the column each week (Tuesdays, I’m nearly sure) as well as tech and games stuff.

The Star’s writer is Gavin Caffrey. As above their stuff is published on Fridays.

The Sunday World was another that was recently mentioned to me in passing and in not any detail - as said above their stuff is on Sundays.

Not print, but someone called Steve Curran seams to have taken over the reviews on RTE online and Aertel… “Steve Curran from RTE was on hand to MC the event” reads a SCE IE press release about the recent GT4 comp.

I’m not sure if it’s still running, but at least one regional newspaper used to do games coverage.

Ronan Price and Gavin Caffrey are as far as I know the only people of the above who were at E3 this year.

Not Irish publications, but widely available here - the Guardian does reviews in the ‘Online’ section of the pullout supplement on Thursdays, and in ‘the Guide’ on Saturdays. The Sunday Times, does them on err Sundays. And the Daily Mail just loves computer games they cover them as much as possible (sorry, couldn’t resist).

I suppose I could (and should) ask one of the local PR people.

smiaras are you eyeing up a reviewing side job?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭smiaras

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Sunday World is comical , Driv3r 9 out of 10, FIfa 2005 10/10, Pes4 6/10, Paper Mario 6/10 etc:

kdjac

• Registered Users Posts: 55,516 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Hot Press do games reviews (comes out fortnightly).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭Doodah7

The Times on Saturday (English one that is) also almost always reviews two or three games and the odd feature as well in its pretty excellent "The Eye" magazine...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭thelordofcheese

KdjaC wrote:
    Sunday World is comical , Driv3r 9 out of 10, FIfa 2005 10/10, Pes4 6/10, Paper Mario 6/10 etc:

kdjac

The Sunday world one makes my blood angry.. has done for years.

What ever happened to the Aertel games section, last i saw it was in the arse-end of RTE 1 and looked like it'd never be updated again.

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭lardboy

smiaras wrote:
    I don't know anout individual stations, but there will be at least one person in most stations that will respond kindly to a free game with a review. Most stations are struggling to fill up the minutes between the death notices and the morning phone ins, so I reckon they could easily cobble together a techy slot to give you a free plug in. Your best bet would be for school run or the early night time shows, because of kiddies listening in the first case and good younger listening in the evening shows. Try giving the stations a shout and talking to the programme editors, or even the presenters themsleves.

Check out www.medialive.ie for contact numbers for all irish media; although most of the contacts are for the sales teams, they'll be able to put you in contact with the editorial people as well.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,400 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I've a feeling that with the bad qualtiy of all newspaper games reviews and the terrible writing quality that Kevo is pimping himself out to the papers as a review.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,919 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

• Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

I'm pretty sure the Irish Times have the odd computer review during the week. It's in the main section rather than the Ticket. I'll keep an eye out for it.

The Sunday Times reviews in the Culture section are, I'm pretty sure, written by English journalists.

Finally, I know it's not a newspaper, but would Hotpress carry small computer game reviews?

• Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭zenith

Irish Examiner looks after this stuff also, on Fridays.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 834 ✭✭✭dearg_doom

Herald does it on Tuesdays, I think.

But, like mostother Irish games coverage it is patchy-to-sh1te at best:)

HotPress's is especially bad, considering it is probably the only publication that should have some idea about what games should be about(being aimed at our generation and all!)

But Aertel's has always been the worst(especially when you compare it to DIGI), anyone remember the letters pages they used to have? The letters would be layed out horribly, starting a new one on the last two lines of one page then continuing it over page and printing such retarded fanboi sh1te every week. Not to mention the crap reviews!

• Registered Users Posts: 23 proevmaster

KdjaC wrote:

kdjac

Oh ... My .... God.

Im bored so im gona try find out who wrote that and send him a few abusive emails. :D

Oh and the Weekender (I think that's what its called) that comes with the Examiner on the weekends (well duhhh) has a review section near the back. Not brilliant but the guy does seem to know what he's talkin about most of the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 304 ✭✭Dagnir Glaurung

monument wrote:

Not print, but someone called Steve Curran seams to have taken over the reviews on RTE online and Aertel… “Steve Curran from RTE was on hand to MC the event” reads a SCE IE press release about the recent GT4 comp.

Steve Curran...that's Redeye's name, isn't it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

smiaras wrote:
    I review games too, but i do it for sites. If you want i can give you links to different sites and editors email addies?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

dearg_doom wrote:

But Aertel's has always been the worst(especially when you compare it to DIGI), anyone remember the letters pages they used to have? The letters would be layed out horribly, starting a new one on the last two lines of one page then continuing it over page and printing such retarded fanboi sh1te every week. Not to mention the crap reviews!

I got so pissed off with the aertel games pages that I eMailed RTÉ about it, criticising their seeming lack of interest in keeping the pages updated and the terrible formatting. That was few years back...I doubt the mail did anything, nad it's been at least that long since I looked at the pages...

Sunday Times Culture section games reviews can be okay...but whoever the idiots are who do the reviews, they seriously need to get their heads out of their collective arses....the stuff they give mediocre reports on tend to be the biggest games around and they'll score some POS title as 5 stars just to appear "alternative" or something.

I've never once bought a game going solely on reviews....friends recommendations, and official blurbs are a lot better....previews can be hadny though.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

So what we got so far is...

RTE - RTE online and Aertel - na +

Hot Press - (near the back page) - fortnightly +

The Irish Times - main paper??? - "have the odd computer review during the week" ???

Evening Herald - main paper? - Tuesdays

The Guardian - ‘Online’ - Thursdays +

Indo - Day and Night - Fridays +

The Star - Main paper - Fridays

Irish Examiner - main paper??? - "looks after this stuff also, on Fridays" ???

The Guardian - ‘the guide’ - Saturdays +

The Sunday Times - Culture - Sundays +

The Sunday World - main paper? - Sundays

+ = stuff I'm sure of

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

erm just get PC Gamer like the rest :p
    or w/e suits ya console or pc coz i think established magazines have a better opinion

Advertisement