Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ireland Am

• 16-06-2005 10:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 23

Hi all,
    I am juist wondering whats the general opinion here on Ireland Am, i personally dont like it. I think it is a cheap put together, an axcuse for TV3 News and Sport mixed with them presenters which i diont really like. I dont like any of them exept Colette Fitzpatrick when shes on. I think Maura Deranne looks very un-comfortable while presenting. I wish RTE would come up with an alternnative which im surw would be much better and beat Ireland Am in the ratings. I am so surprised RTE didnt take the chance with morning tv before Irelandam did. What does everyone else thinkl on this and who/what do you think RTe should put on with an early mornign show?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Telefís

It's not worth the effort for RTÉ I've always thought. All a breakfast programme would do is take away listeners in their droves from Morning Ireland and 2FM on radio.
    It would also be similar in content to The Afternoon Show (or Open House or PM Live or Live at Three in the past), so they'd be competing for material.

It'd also put 'strain' on the Newsroom that they could do without as they'd percieve it, and all in all the station could just do without the hassle.

What's the point in upsetting the cart? All RTÉ would be doing is risking a flop, adding to its already much-sneered at repertoire of studio-based humdrum production, and negate the prestige of their flagship radio programme on their flagship station.

Better to leave well enough alone, and I'd tend to agree (assuming this is their thinking).

As for Ireland AM - need one even say anything?!
    Maura Deranne just about sums it up - clunky, awkward, unprofessional and full of fluff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭county

any national tv station should have a breakfast programme,RTE are lazy bast**rds,why pay a tv license

• Closed Accounts Posts: 350 ✭✭Ray777

county wrote:
    any national tv station should have a breakfast programme,RTE are lazy bast**rds,why pay a tv license

I think that's one thing RTÉ definitely get right. A breakfast programme would be a total waste of license payers' money. The majority of people don't have time to watch television in the mornings and even if RTÉ produced the most impressive Breakfast show possible, it would get very, very few viewers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,872 ✭✭✭segadreamcast

Ray777 wrote:
    I think that's one thing RTÉ definitely get right. A breakfast programme would be a total waste of license payers' money. The majority of people don't have time to watch television in the mornings and even if RTÉ produced the most impressive Breakfast show possible, it would get very, very few viewers.

Totally agree. We're a very "radio in the morning, TV at night" type of culture - a breakfast show simply wouldn't work here in my opinion... I don't think we've had a TV turned on in my house on a weekday morning in the last three years :P.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭trajan

these monstrous people appear on my tv every morning in between spongebob and fairly odd parents and wince at me through their charisma-free haze of sickening self love. They sit on their two would be thrones and the man, somebody's wicked goblin uncle, spews a string of pointless ignorant comments and the fat woman beside him giggles.
    Then there's the weather guy. I mean really, where do they find these people. How can someone who clearly spent every day of his young life getting beaten up by all his peers find his way onto national television? I can picture his family cringing in humiliated agony every time he slimes his way onto the screen.
    The to review the films they wheel out this overweight bald nerd in an acd dc t-shirt who clearly still believes himself to be fresh out of college. Like somebody's embarrassing uncle. Somebody please burn down TV3, murdering all involved, before it's too late.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Money should be invested into shows that will be shown during Prime Time.

Ireland AM is the worst.
    7:00 Intro
    7:03 News
    7:15 break
    7:18 Intro
    7:20 Item
    7:27 break
    7:30 Intro
    7:33 News
    7:37 Intro
    7:45 Break
    7:48 Intro
    7:50 Item
    7:58 Break
    8:00 Intro
    8:03 News

And So on.

Not only that but it is stuck in the 80's. For a TV station that only started in the late 90's thats bad.

Waste of money for a morning show on RTE.

The do have the Den on during the morning you know.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,137 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

trajan wrote:
    They sit on their two would be thrones and the man, somebody's wicked goblin uncle, spews a string of pointless ignorant comments and the fat woman beside him giggles.
    Hmm, you complain about ignorant comments and then fill your entire post with ignorant remarks.

I shall not defend Ireland AM, as most people know the show is rubbish. But, why on earth do you watch it every morning, knowing you hate it? :rolleyes: Damn, watch EuroNews on TG4. Much more interesting :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭limerick_man

I like it, it can be fun (although i only watch 'the best of' on saturdays and sundays... i do actually have a live)! This week the main male presenter went to canada on a tour, it was really funny! The pysics are great... RTE did have a mourning program, but Ireland AM beat it and kept saying it was Irelands no. 1 breakfast show, so RTE pulled it and now its irelands only breakfast show!

I really hate the way them seem to always have fashion stuff though!

RTE did have a mourning program, but Ireland AM beat it and kept saying it was Irelands no. 1 breakfast show, so RTE pulled it and now its irelands only breakfast show!

RTE never had a daily morning show on the TV.
    RTE had planned to have a daily morning show but ended up in a bitter arguement with some Indo Producers and RTE prob still have plans for some kind of Morning TV.
    It is not hard to beat something that was never there.
    Sorry Limerick Man.
    I still wonder weather or not Den AM stilll gets more viewers.

It doesnt! TV3 is highest rated in the mourning! Whats really weird is (on average) TV3 has the highest ratings, yet no-one here watches TV3! Even RTÉ recognise that TV3 get higher ratings... although RTÉ 1 is alot more consistant!

• Advertisement

RTÉ recognise that TV3 get higher ratings... although RTÉ 1 is alot more consistant!

How do TV3 get higher Ratings?

RTE ONE continues to get higher Ratings. TV3 has the success of Corro St proping them up. RTE at least have Irish show that also help to prop them up.

RTE ONE has 35% of the audience
    TV3 has 15% of the audience
    RTE TWO has 11%
    TG4 has 3%

If TV3 started producing irish show to surround Coro St they would certainly get more viewers prehaps even get more then RTE ONE.

Also what are the ratings for the morning time TV? Anyone know?

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Lochaber

Elmo wrote:
    How do TV3 get higher Ratings?

RTE ONE continues to get higher Ratings. TV3 has the success of Corro St proping them up. RTE at least have Irish show that also help to prop them up.

RTE ONE has 35% of the audience
    TV3 has 15% of the audience
    RTE TWO has 11%
    TG4 has 3%

Just wondering, how recent are those figures?

Just wondering, how recent are those figures?

http://www.medialive.ie/Television/chshare.html

So far this year RTE TWO seem to be catching up with TV3 due to DH and Lost and LIVE sport.

18:01 - 23:31 National Figures. Orginal Post Estimate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Ireland AM good?
    what drugs are you taking

it is the biggest pile of piss on television. no wonder they are the number 1 breakfast show on Irish television, they're the only one. compare it to say breakfast on BBC1 or GMTV on ITV, neither a good show but miles better than Ireland AM. TV3 only show the damn thing to meet their quota on home produced programming

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,077 ✭✭✭parasite

someone tell me that the three (!) showings of the omnibus at the weekend don't count towards the quota of irish programming

someone tell me that the three (!) showings of the omnibus at the weekend don't count towards the quota of irish programming

I hope not.

BUT

They do have to employ people to edit the omnibus.

I mean does Popcorn go towards the requirements?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

ireland am is just 1 big advertising program-they always seem to be flogging something-a hairdressers, a clothes shop, a book, a cd, a car etc. the items are always extremely short.its so funny how the presenters always seem to have to rush through everything
    oh yeah...laura bermingham CANNOT present. she always looks very uncomfortable

• Closed Accounts Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Telefís

I remember when they first started and the first season was coming to a close, there were question marks over the prog's survival as the sponsor Kelloggs weren't happy with the average of 7,000 viewers!

I presume it has increased somewhat in the interim :D

(probably made up of the production team's families)

Haha, its show live and then the best of is on saturday and sunday! Its the same lenght as the actual shows but justs cuts it down from 15 hours to 6 hours! Popcorn is brilliant... love that, but then agin who doesnt!

I'd say the weekend show would go to the % of irish programming, cause its being broadcast!

If u check the figures, pretty much every week TV3 have the highest programme, but RTE dont drop so quickly!

Anything shown on TV3 wont be as popular as if it was shown on RTE, people seem to think oh TV3 it must be bad!!!

At least most ppl i know like and talk about shows on TV3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Popcorn is brilliant... love that, but then agin who doesnt!

I

*puts up hand*

Even though there's no narrative voice-over in this programme, I can almost hear the mid atlantic accent(s) of the idiot(s) who write the little snippets of text .
    Popcorn really nails down what TV3 have to offer; American/UK imports glossed over with a hint of celtic "charm". I mean you take 3-4 trailers for the current crop of new cinema releases (free from the Net or from any good film studio marketing department), add your little bit of intro music and a badly written commentary, most likely copy and pasted from a press release, and stick a txt competition in to round it all off...

If that's your defintion of good TV then yuo should invest in either a better aerial or a satelite dish...

Having said all that, it is Ireland's only movie "review" programme...RTÉ simply don't grasp what it is people want from TV these days....where's the review shows for entertainment (other than arts)?
    No, let's put on some POS reality TV show that wants to be "Fame!" and see how many more license fee payers we can piss off...

• Advertisement

Having said all that, it is Ireland's only movie "review" programme...RTÉ simply don't grasp what it is people want from TV these days....where's the review shows for entertainment (other than arts)?

Yep have to agree with that.

What happened the Movie show and What?!Movie and TG4 used to have Hollywood Anocht.
    15 hours to 6 hours!

Exclued all of the News and Sport and weather and Introductions you have only got 6 hours.
    At least most ppl i know like and talk about shows on TV3

Name a TV3 show that you haven't all ready mentioned.

The american imports are the worst. Malcome and Arrested Dev being the only two I can think of. Ok I will say SATC even if i don't like it.
    I'd say the weekend show would go to the % of irish programming, cause its being broadcast!

Well thats just like TV3 giving out about their Eurpean output.

Rick Heatherington: We have to have 50% EU programming others don't whinge whinge etc
    Rick Heatherington: We only get about 50% of our programming from ITV we are not a clone of them at all.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement