Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grants...who ya gonna call?

Options
  • 17-06-2005 12:29am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 611 ✭✭✭

Ok, thinking of moving out of home next year and living somewhere nearer to college (as getting up at like 6 am to be in ucd for 10 is just lunacy). So would need to fund living expenses, college expenses (ie beer), and books, etc...maybe food, but c'mon it's not like it's essential. I've a p/t job but it's not enough to take a step into the big bad world on alone. I went to the SU last year and found their Accomadation Officer useless and on several occasions it was as if he was "somewhere else". I know that perhaps it might not have been his juristiction but a lil help in the right direction would o been appreciated....rant over.

Anyone know anything about applying for grants, or even where to start looking...? I heard something about the CDVEC, that they give grants from a lad in work but nothing more concrete than that. Basicly looking for "the idiots guide to grants".

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Easily_Irritated

Who you gonna call?

Ghostbusters, of course :D

sorry with a thread name with who yougonna call in it I just couldn't resist!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,391 ✭✭✭arbeitsscheuer

Who you gonna call?

Ghostbusters, of course :D

sorry with a thread name with who yougonna call in it I just couldn't resist!

I woulda thought "Grantbusters!" would've been more apt, but meh - ya got ur reply in there before me so kudos to you, kid. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭oddlyaromatic

Ring up your local Co. Council and ask them about it. They should be able to sort you out with the important info and send you a form.

Surely Grantbusters would be a step in the completely wrong direction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭kasintahan

Ring up your local Co. Council and ask them about it. They should be able to sort you out with the important info and send you a form.

Yep, ring the CoCo.

They send out the information and forms.

There are also other grants awarded by different bodies, but the CoCo's are the most common by far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

Ok I'm not 100% the grants fundamentals but I believe the grant process work something like this.....

I think the allocation of the grant and the level of the grant depends on factors like these

1. The distance (in km) of the college you study at from where you reside
    2. Your parents/guardians combined level of income per annum
    3. The amount of siblings in your family
    4. The amount of work hours you work in a year part-time or full-time

For example:

if you live in somewhere like Galway and wish to study in UCD, you will get a higher grant than someone who reside in the Dublin area.

if your parents earn a high level of income per annum, you will recieve a lower level grant than if your parents earned a low level income

should you be an only child you recieve a smaller grant than if you were one of 5 children where you would recieve a larger grant

if you work above a certain amount hours per year you may be liable for a smaller grant

Now this is advice from Zane and not your average person so the chances of all of this being absolute BS is even higher but from my county council's system the allocation probably works in a system similar to this.

I think you live in Dublin so the grant won't be particularly massive but it depends on all of of your personal factors that I described above. Now there could be other dispensations that I may not be aware of such as special grants for people who live away from home etc. so don't take my theory for face value.

The best advice you will get is to get in touch with your county council and ask the mfor forms and brochures on their grant allocation policies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭chebe

I've been looking into this too. I'm come across a couple of stumbling blocks.

1. Under the of 23 (or 26, ie not being a Mature Student) you cannot be evaluated on your own income. Apparently your parents have to help you financially. If their, and your combined income is more than about €30,000 you probably won't get a grant.

2. You can only apply for a grant when you start a new course. You seemingly can't just apply for one in the middle. Because you know that would be helpful.

Or at least that's what I made of everything. Here's some reading:
    http://www.education.ie/home/home.jsp?pcategory=10900&ecategory=19277&language=EN

• Closed Accounts Posts: 611 ✭✭✭Alana

Thanks Chebe, and thanks guys.

Balls. That seems to be the way it's going so far...booo, i'll keep huntin'.

Grantbusters..now thats catchy :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

So Chebe gets a personal thank you and I don't when I also break my balls for my long post?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,865 ✭✭✭Syth

I've got a grant for the last two years. You are to talk to your local county council. They will have all the forms and information. You don't have to be in first year to apply for a grant. I didn't get a grant in first year, but did in 2nd and 3rd. There are 2 types of grants. Adjance rate and non-adjacent rate. If you live more than 10 miles or something you get the non-adjacent rate. It's more than the adjacent rate, but you wouldn't be able to live off it at all.

There are many levels of grants from getting 3 checks totally €1200 + registration being paid (the highest, and also the one I get :):) ), to getting half (or maybe a quater) of your registration paid only. If you are over 23 you can be assessed on your own income, if not it's you parents and your income that it is assesed on. Ther number of children in full time education effects it also.

Advertisement