Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ati cooler

Options
  • 17-06-2005 5:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭

hey. my overclocked system seems to be a bit hotter than i expected... i think it's down to the graphics card. i recently upgraded to an x800XL and got an antecP160 (i added an intake 120mm fan two days or so ago) but the idle system temp hangs around 32degC. my old system with two 80mm fans was about 26C (had a 9600pro...)

specs as follows:
    northwood P4 2.6@3.2Ghz (cooled with zalman CNPS 7000B AlCu - 92mm fan)
    1Gig GEIL ultra PC4000
    mobo: abit IS7-E
    370W BeQuiet! PSU
    x800XL AGP o/c - 445/550mhz
    160gig seagate barracuda

i was thinking perhaps an arctic ati cooler would be my saviour??
    and can i use arctic silver 5 on the GPU?

cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭airetam_storm

the raven wrote:
    hey. my overclocked system seems to be a bit hotter than i expected... i think it's down to the graphics card. i recently upgraded to an x800XL and got an antecP160 (i added an intake 120mm fan two days or so ago) but the idle system temp hangs around 32degC. my old system with two 80mm fans was about 26C (had a 9600pro...)

specs as follows:
    northwood P4 2.6@3.2Ghz (cooled with zalman CNPS 7000B AlCu - 92mm fan)
    1Gig GEIL ultra PC4000
    mobo: abit IS7-E
    370W BeQuiet! PSU
    x800XL AGP o/c - 445/550mhz
    160gig seagate barracuda

cheers

Yeah arctic silver's your best bet. What case you got?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

the raven wrote:

cheers

yep and i used it on the ram aswell with an ati silencer, worked fine, its ok as long as u dont get it on any of the pins on the ram

• Registered Users Posts: 3,541 ✭✭✭duridian

Yes get an Arctic Cooler, I have one on each of my cards (well my Galaxy Geforce came with one fitted from the manufacturers) and it does make a good bit of difference because the heat from your gfx card is blown right out a vent in the pci slot position next to the gfx, thereby preventing this hot air from adding to the temperature of the air inside your case. Most of the default coolers on higher end cards nowadays are I think a bit too basic and not very effective, some are a bit better alright (eg. Leadtek's 6800GT) but none as good as the Arctic cooler.

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭the raven

Yeah arctic silver's your best bet. What case you got?

as stated above the fine tower Antec P160 (120mm exhaust and intake....)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭DemonOfTheFall

What do you mean that you think your system is hotter than you expected ? The hot air being exhausted from it ? No matter what cooling you use your PC is gonna make just as much heat, it's all down to keeping that heat away from the components.

• Advertisement

it's all down to keeping that heat away from the components.
    why do you think i'm enquiring about an ati silencer??
    read the full thread before replying.

I did read the whole thread.

The way you phrased the first few lines of your first post made it sound like it was the heat of the system in general that you were worried about.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

The way you phrased the first few lines of your first post made it sound like it was the heat of the system in general that you were worried about.

Agreed.

I did read the whole thread.

possibly because it is what i'm worried about.
    The Raven wrote:
    but the idle system temp hangs around 32degC.
    an ati cooler exhausts the air it uses to cool the fins out the back of the machine, out the PCI slot, whereas the fan at the mo, the stock fan that came on the card, exhausts the hot air into the system thus raising the temperature of the system in general; more hot air equals higher temperatures. using an ati cooler my system temps will decrease by another, maybe, 10degrees. and he did rejoice. (well, when i get it)

i'm sorry but i don't get what you're on about. it seems like we're on about the same thing but not on the same page...

I get what you're saying now, just at the start of the thread wasn't entirely sure.

10 degrees would bring you down to ambient temperature nearly..... I'd be amazed if it did that well. But those Arctic cooling products are pretty nify so good luck with it :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement