Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wireless and Smart

• 17-06-2005 8:57am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭

So hopefully anyday now I will get my Smart connection up and running.
    Want to get a wireless router to get rid of annoying phone lines across the apartment and so that the girlfriend can use her new powerbook online too.

Have any of you got the Smart wireless modem? Is it worth the extra 140? Or can you recommend a cheaper/better alternative?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭GarfieldConnoll

the corpo wrote:
    So hopefully anyday now I will get my Smart connection up and running.
    Want to get a wireless router to get rid of annoying phone lines across the apartment and so that the girlfriend can use her new powerbook online too.

Have any of you got the Smart wireless modem? Is it worth the extra 140? Or can you recommend a cheaper/better alternative?

I use the Apple Airport Express (129€) with my Powerbook and Smart router.
    Cheaper than the wireless Aolynk router and you get the stereo output feature so you can stream iTunes via your stereo.

Garfield.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭the corpo

hmm, her powerbook has airport express in it, but i will still need a wireless modem, no?

also, while i have you there garfield, do us a favour and get me auld connection hurried along ;)

the corpo wrote:
    hmm, her powerbook has airport express in it, but i will still need a wireless modem, no?

also, while i have you there garfield, do us a favour and get me auld connection hurried along ;)
    Corpo,

I imagine your girlfriend has airport EXTREME, the 802.11g card. Check out http://store.apple.com/Apple/WebObjects/irl.woa/90911/wo/5g3Rl00QYUqi2SBRBjj74GvvieM/1.0.11.1.0.6.12

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭the corpo

You're a wiser man than me!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Ah handy thread - I'll be moving into an apartment equipped with Smart and also will want to go wireless. There'll be 2 PCs and (eventually) one laptop using the connection, so wireless is the only option.

Will each PC need a wireless card? Is their wireless modem capable of handling multiple connections (i.e. is it a router as well)? Thanks..

• Advertisement

ixoy wrote:
    Ah handy thread - I'll be moving into an apartment equipped with Smart and also will want to go wireless. There'll be 2 PCs and (eventually) one laptop using the connection, so wireless is the only option.

Will each PC need a wireless card? Is their wireless modem capable of handling multiple connections (i.e. is it a router as well)? Thanks..

The standard router has 4 Ethernet ports, so you could connect them all up on CAT5 if you wanted (and it was feasible). If you're using wireless (regardless of whether it's Smart's wireless router), each PC will need a wireless card.

Smart's wireless router will support multiple connections.

Garfield.

Thanks Garfield, that's exactly what I needed to know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

ixoy wrote:

The Smart wirless router has 4 network ports and a USB port for a wired connection. It also has an aerial which broadcasts the wireless signal around the house/apartment. If you're using a laptop, it may already have a wireless device built in, if not you'll simply have to purchase a wireless adapter, they're not very expensive and very easy to set up. You simply need to know what security (if any) the router has in order to connect with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 804 ✭✭✭TimTim

By default 99.99% of all routers have no security enabled and SSID's broadcasting, so it shouldn't be any different with the router Smart provideds.

Of course securing it should be done as soon as possible, and its up to you. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

TimTim wrote:
    By default 99.99% of all routers have no security enabled and SSID's broadcasting, so it shouldn't be any different with the router Smart provideds.

Of course securing it should be done as soon as possible, and its up to you. :D

Of course, no router actual comes with WEP turned on by default, its something the user sets up. Since he's moving into a house that already has Smart bb and if there is a router there already with security enabled, he'll have to know what the key is; thats why I mentioned it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Smart's wireless router is pretty expensive at 140 euros - not sure if its an all in one (incl modem) or just a router but there seems to be an increasing number of adsl2 ready all in ones out there so dont just go for Smart's offering without having a look around.

Anyone considering buying the airport express for a wireless solution might like to wait a bit as some of the Apple sites are predicting an upgrade to be imminent.

Actually, having moved in, I've found all the rooms are equipped with a data connection already so I won't have to go via the wireless router. Now I'm interested in finding out if there's an existing inbuilt network or how this setup works (the apartment complex is wired for the Smart InVision product).

Advertisement