Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

star wars, I'm confused

• 17-06-2005 9:48am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭

how many star wars movies are there?

I remember there were 5 or 6 "old" star wars with Harrison Ford, and also 3 new ones, Natalie Portman

Now I did a search and I can't find 1,2,3 series of old star wars, it begins from IV? and 3 new ones are listed as 1,2,3, what happened to the first 3 old movies?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭garthv

Theres actually 9 in there series but George Lucas started with Episode 4 through till 6 back in the 70's and the 3 released recently were prequels to the originals

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭Ph3n0m

There never were 5 or 6 "old" Star Wars with Harrison Ford - only 3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭the jew

GaRtH_V wrote:
    Theres actually 9 in there series but George Lucas started with Episode 4 through till 6 back in the 70's and the 3 released recently were prequels to the originals
    So there are still another 3 to come? Ah crap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Kingsize

there now wont be another 3 according to george .....

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Lucas had created the Star Wars series in his mind as one long story that would take about 6-9 films, or "episodes", to tell. These could be divided into 3 trilogies, of 3 episodes each.

He decided to start off with with the middle trilogy apparently as he figured it would be the most appealing to audiences in terms of action and storyline and so forth. So thus we go Episode IV - 'A New Hope' (often referred to simply as 'Star Wars') in 1977, and then Episode V - 'The Empire Strikes Back' in 1980, and Episode VI - 'Return of the Jedi' in 1983.

Then the world went insane for these movies (for whatever reasons) and, decades later, George Lucas looked at his billions and felt a little poor. So he decided to go now and tell the first arc - the first three episodes. This would tell us how the situatiosn we saw in 'Episode IV' came about. So thus we got 'Episode I - The Phantom Menace' in 1999, 'Episode II - Attack of the Clones' in 2002, and 'Episode III - Revenge of the Sith' in 2005.

So although, production wise, the films were made in the order: Episode IV, V, VI, I, II, and III, if you want to watch the story chronologically and the world evolve, you'd watch the new trilogy before the old trilogy...

Hope that clears it up..

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,889 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Forget empire strikes back. The ewoks films are the best of the star wars films.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

Thanks for clearing this up for me guys! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭the jew

Retr0gamer wrote:
    Forget empire strikes back. The ewoks films are the best of the star wars films.
    ewoks?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 202 ✭✭eyebrows

the jew wrote:
    ewoks?

will you go home will ya.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭trajan

do you realise that if there are indeed an infinite amaount of parallel universes then probably all of this star wars stuff actually happened in reality somewhere!

Ahem.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 834 ✭✭✭dearg_doom

Kingsize wrote:
    there now wont be another 3 according to george .....
    Well GL himself gave up on his trilogy of trilogies idea when he realised just how much money he was coining just after ep5.

He was so frustrated with the making of ep5 because he got in a (better:)) director, Irvin Kershner, and screen-writer, he only co-produced it with Gary Kurtz, who he actually developed the whole story with during the making of A New Hope.

Thus he had little control over the day-to-day shooting of the film, and costs spiralled. He also ceded creative control to IK who is responsible for a lot of the better moments of the film, like a lot of Luke's training, the human side of the battle scenes(which made them better) etc...

GL didn't like this because he seems to be a control freak. He reasoned that ep5 made so much money not because it had a darker more complex and satisfying plot than the first one, but purely because it was a StarWars film, and all the money 'wasted' on the 'extras' was just wasted money that was needlessly spent. Also GL was getting it from the studio execs about how his 'kids' movie was a bit too dark etc.., and fair play to him he went through a lot defending their right to make a dark film without pandering to the old guys.

So when the time came to start ep6, GL and Kurtz argued over which direction to take the series.

Kurtz believed GL's hype that this was to be an epic series that would strive to be better and better. GL realised he was coining it big time, and that he could probably release ep6 as a two-minute muppet skit and he would still make billions and sell sh1tloads of actionfigures etc... He figured that he had more cash than he could ever spend, and after the hassles of making ep5, he didn't like the thought of making another three movies, let alone another 6!

So whereas the plan for ep6 was:

- Han Solo arrives on Tatooine, is revived, then everyone tries to save him,

- THERE IS NO DEATHSTAR2

- Leia is not Luke's sister, she's with the rebels, they plan an attack on the empire with luke, who decides to go back to Dagobah suddenly.

- Yoda tels Luke he has a sister, Obiwan tells him where she is.

-Luke senses the rebels attack is going wrong, they are being whupped. Most of the rebel leaders are KIA, including Han, Leia takes over as leader

-He saves Leia, who goes into hiding with the remnants of the rebels

- Luke fights Vader, the emperor is not seen in the whole film.

-The movie ends even worse than ep5

Then the next trilogy was to be:

ep7: Luke is now a Jedi, does Jedi-stuff, finds his sister, Leia consolidates the rebellion
    ep8: Luke trains his sister,they help the rebels re-start their attacks on the Empire
    ep9: Luke and his sister are now uber-l33t, the rebels are getting better everyday, they set out to find the Emperor, we see him for the first time and Luke wins. The end.

GL didn't ike the thought of signing his life away to SW(he probably thought he had more to do or something:))

So he changed ep6 to seem like the end of the story, ie have Luke beating the emperor.

Kurtz didn't like that, nor did he like some of GL's retarded ideas, like the DS2, so GL fired him.

GL then hired a director who would make the movie as he said, and not try to stamp his own ideas on the film.

And with that he sealed the fate of the franchise.

With no-one to say 'No, George', GL and his yes-men made a mint off ep6, mainly from cutting the budget, so where there might have been a wookie army, there was EWOKS and Leia was Luke's sister, and he lived happily ever after safe in the knowledge that even though he won't be able to do the last trilogy, if he ever found himself short of a million or two he could always make the prequel trilogy.

It could have been so much better:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,894 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

eyebrows wrote:
    will you go home will ya.

hahahaha brilliant!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

I read an interview with your man who plays Chewbacca, cant remember his name, from just befoer the release of Sith, and he says originally it was Wookies not Ewoks, but Lucas couldnt find enough tall actors around so they got midgets instead.

Luke and Leia being family is kinda cool anyway, I prefer it that way than Luke finding some random punter somewhere and training her up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Kazaanova

Has there ever been any proof of this rumoured third trilogy? I don't think Lucas ever planned it, I've heard it before, but I still think its bull****.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Gileadi

im sure i remember him talking about it in one of the documentry type sequences on the VHS trilogy that was brought out about 5/6 years ago...if anybody still has it they could confirm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

What about episode 4.5? the star wars holiday special?
    that was a brillent star wars movie
    2 whole hours of chewbacca`s family and life day

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,651 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

I thought all that talk of 7-9 was rubbish? LUcas said that star wars was the rise and fall of darth vadar. Hes planning a tv series set about 20 years after episode 3. Dont like the sound of that...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭steveland?

faceman wrote:
    I thought all that talk of 7-9 was rubbish? LUcas said that star wars was the rise and fall of darth vadar. Hes planning a tv series set about 20 years after episode 3. Dont like the sound of that...
    Sure you're not thinking of the Clone Wars series they released between episodes 2 and 3?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 834 ✭✭✭dearg_doom

Kazaanova wrote:
    Has there ever been any proof of this rumoured third trilogy? I don't think Lucas ever planned it, I've heard it before, but I still think its bull****.
    According to those who were around at the time of the original, as soon as it got huge Lucas was trumping up his plans for 'a trilogy of trilogies'.

He subtely changed his mind after the making of ep5.

In fairness the guy has contradicted himself so much about his 'plans' for the series over the years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭Bacchus

steveland? wrote:
    Sure you're not thinking of the Clone Wars series they released between episodes 2 and 3?

As well as the Clone Wars set between 2 and 3 Lucas is going making a live action/CGI TV series. I don't have a direct link but there is a big thread on the comingsoon.net forum about it. It's reported to be set over a couple of seasons with each episode being an hour long. Lucas is writing and directing the first season. It's rumoured to be set after Ep. 3 and is to be centered around new characters and shows how the rebellion is formed etc. A lot of it is rumour at the moment but the series is going ahead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭MadPatrick

I read in the paper that he was going to make one more movie, set 100 years before Ep1 about Yoda training people and doing his thing.
    I read it in The Sun so sorry for wasting your time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭airetam_storm

MadPatrick wrote:
    I read in the paper that he was going to make one more movie, set 100 years before Ep1 about Yoda training people and doing his thing.
    I read it in The Sun so sorry for wasting your time
    Also heard about this but me thinks its set 800 years ago, in a galaxy far far away...

Advertisement