Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Setanta Cup

• 17-06-2005 10:04am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭

Looks like the league cup will be actually worth something this season, as it offers a spot in the Setanta cup for next season.

Read

Great idea IMO, as it will actually add a bit of prestige to the League cup. No-one really cares about it anymore. Now at least it may become a bit competitive.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,982 ✭✭✭Big Ears

I agree , maybe they could even have semi-finals now .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Well the winners of the Northern league cup gets a spot but they haven't decided what to do down south. It most likely will be the league cup winner and should be. Its either that or 3rd place in the league I suppose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭thejollyrodger

good idea IMO

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

I think that the league cup for LOI clubs should be scrapped. Most countries have a league and just one cup competition, the latter being an open draw 1-legged system in most cases. That is the romance of "the cup".

England has a league cup, which is a two-legged affair, and a better reflection of ability than their FA Cup. Ireland's league cup is CL-esque with group stages. But LOI clubs would be better off playing top league games in a 10-club premiership (36 games, 4 games per opponent) and just one cup, either 1-legged or two-legged. My suggestion would be to get rid of it.

The Setanta Cup competition could get two teams from the FAI league and the two finalists from the FAI cup, and similarly from the IFA.

Redspider

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

^ The group stages no longer exist.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Slash/ED

I'd rather it went to the third place in the league. It'd mean a better standard in the competition and reflect better on the league

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

I agree with Slash. Tho that said perhaps the better teams will take the cup more serious anyway now that theres a place available

Either way tho in the interest of fairness I hope the next SetantaCup is played at a time in the season that suits us a little better. Having it in April really does our sides no favours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Do they have a league cup up the north?

Letting the league cup winners in means theres possibly a crap team in it (**** could be us) who will get thumped which will look good on tv.

At this rate of adding one more team a season how long before the Setanta cup is the all ireland league.

Well done Setanta never have a i seen a Tv company actually make a difference and do something useful rather than overhype games and show highlights at 3am.

Plyd tbh

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Slash/ED wrote:
    I'd rather it went to the third place in the league.
    So Shels can play?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Slash/ED

seansouth wrote:
    So Shels can play?

that's probably a bit optimistic at this stage

• Advertisement
Advertisement