Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Plasma Opinion Please

Options
  • 17-06-2005 10:15am
    Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Lads
    Have an opportunity to purchase one of these TV's.

Am a bit thick as regards Plasma or LCD Tv's!! -

http://www.plasma.com/necplasma/42vm5.htm - 42" commercial display, XGA can get it for 1800

Nextier LCD 42NT-tv - 42" , 1366*768, samsung panel, ratio 3000-1, multi tuner - can get this for 1600

The NEC gets good reviews but would prefer to hear from lads here in the know.

The Nextier I cannot get a review on, it says its a Samsung Panel though

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭pH

42" LCD TVs don't really exist except as major high-end items. It is very unlikely you can get one for E 1,600.

You can buy a *reasonable* 42" plasma (say the phillips 42PF9946 on richersounds.ie) for 1999.

It depends on many things but in general you can get cheap plasmas but check that things aren't missing that make up for the price difference.

Some model don't inlcude speakers
    Some don't have TV tuners
    Some don't have video inputs (SCART etc).
    Some models don't have a stand.

If the TV has everything for 1,800 and is new, and have a full warranty then you are saving maybe 200 euro over buying from a shop)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Ph

Yip I have the catalogue here in front of me, it is through work I can get it. 1600 Euro

• Closed Accounts Posts: 703 ✭✭✭SolarNexus

probably excludes tax, which explains the price difference.

I too am considering a plasma TV, I was going to go for a smaller regular CRT (cathode ray tube) television and a projector but am reconsidering that; only I have some worries:

1) Plasma displays are known to have a problem with Ghosting static images, I dont know if this has yet to be fixed as the website I recently checked noted this as a con rather than a 'pro' but they also mentioned that such plasma displays have a realistic lifetime of under 1-2yrs, however I have been informed that currently that is actually more like 9yrs, or 20yrs if your extremely conservative.

2) Such devices do not include tuners, or basic television-related inputs you expect. More often than not, you pay extra for these, as standard in many devices but you are nonetheless paying extra.

3) I took a look at a couple up in power city and must say that Sky Digital looked pretty crap, the resolution or the connection made the image look blocky and 'un polished', not at all a good advertisement. I am sure DVD's will look superb, but in the meantime, will we have to deal with crappy picture?

4) Some devices come with stands, some dont, some come with wall brackets, some dont. Where as this is the norm, a Plasma display without a stand is useless due to their unusual dimentions (cant stand on their own); so your going to have to decide outright whether it will be wall or stand, and stands aren't cheap (€169 for one fecky one I saw today... amazing how they charge so much for so little)

ok, that was as much about your question as my worries, but they need to be mentioned. I cant suggest one or the other, but brand names with electronics unlike garments can prove to be worth the extra... sometimes the support or warantee alone is worth it.

Advertisement