Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

dead pixels..... how dey happen?

• 17-06-2005 10:22am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

i've been reading alot of posts bout dead pixels on laptops.

i've a laptop. no dead pixels.

just wondering, how they happen?

is there things you can do to prevent this, or is it just some random krap?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

Good morning Paperclip. Dead pixels usually occur during the manufacturing process with these displays. Instead of quality controlling these manufacturers decided to let the consumers suffer them. Major manufacturers wrote it into their warranties that you had to have more than x amount of dead pixels before they were obliged to replace their crappy and obviously defective product. the x mentioned was in the region of 3-5. Worse than dead pixels are stuck pixels, these don't just fail to function - they are "stuck" on a particular color like bright red - which could well be in the middle of your display.

The dead pixel issue seems to be on the way out - manufacturing processes have been updated and it seems (?) to occur less frequently. But you could still spend thousands on a TV, laptop etc. and find that the display wasn't right - only to be told that you have no come-back - damn accountants.

Love the work you're doing for Microsoft by the way -

"It looks like you're writing a letter..." - that my friend was genius, keep it up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

Flaws in manufacturing. Just pot luck if you get one in your screen. Most companies have a guidelines about how many and what locations are accepted as faults and which aren't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

you're thinking of my cousin
    Raiser wrote:

"It looks like you're writing a letter..." - that my friend was genius, keep it up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 364 ✭✭odie

Here is the ISO standards on pixel tollerances for flat panel displays.

http://www.iso.org/iso/en/CatalogueDetailPage.CatalogueDetail?CSNUMBER=25670

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,432 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peteee

Raiser wrote:
    Good morning Paperclip. Dead pixels usually occur during the manufacturing process with these displays. Instead of quality controlling these manufacturers decided to let the consumers suffer them. Major manufacturers wrote it into their warranties that you had to have more than x amount of dead pixels before they were obliged to replace their crappy and obviously defective product. the x mentioned was in the region of 3-5. Worse than dead pixels are stuck pixels, these don't just fail to function - they are "stuck" on a particular color like bright red - which could well be in the middle of your display.

The dead pixel issue seems to be on the way out - manufacturing processes have been updated and it seems (?) to occur less frequently. But you could still spend thousands on a TV, laptop etc. and find that the display wasn't right - only to be told that you have no come-back - damn accountants.

I think it's definetly less acceptable now, but in the early days (when I presume yields were lower) i'd prefer to have payed 1,000 euro for a display that MIGHT have one or two dead pixels rather then 2,000 euro for a display that definetly dosent have any.

It's a trade off.

Keep in mind that LCD displays have hundreds of thousands of pixels in them, and if one or two are off thats still a 99.99% quality rate.

I doubt many things you buy are as exacting as that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,082 ✭✭✭lukin

Raiser wrote:
    Worse than dead pixels are stuck pixels, these don't just fail to function - they are "stuck" on a particular color like bright red - which could well be in the middle of your display.

The new Targa I bought from Lidl has a blue one on the right hand side, about half-way down. It's only noticeable when you are watching a DVD but it's still disappointing. I didn't notice it until a day or two after I bought it and I assumed I damaged it in some way myself. It was probably there from day one though. Shouldn't happen with a brand new lappie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

well i have to say with all the laptops ive gone through, Dell lappys have always had great screens,ive not had one dead pixel on the 3 dell laptops ive had. I recently got a PSP in the us in April and after day 2 there was 4 deal pixels, but at least there near the bottom right hand corner.

Sparky_S wrote:
    well i have to say with all the laptops ive gone through, Dell lappys have always had great screens,ive not had one dead pixel on the 3 dell laptops ive had. I recently got a PSP in the us in April and after day 2 there was 4 deal pixels, but at least there near the bottom right hand corner.
    Crikey you've got me worried now.One isn't too bad,if I get anymore I'll be taking action. The one on mine is in a place where it is noticeable too, worse luck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭rsynnott

lukin wrote:
    Crikey you've got me worried now.One isn't too bad,if I get anymore I'll be taking action. The one on mine is in a place where it is noticeable too, worse luck.

PSPs are well known for problems in this area; apparently there was at least one production run the averaged 20 dead. But once you have the thing, new ones shouldn't generally develop.

rsynnott wrote:
    PSPs are well known for problems in this area; apparently there was at least one production run the averaged 20 dead. But once you have the thing, new ones shouldn't generally develop.

What's a PSP?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,753 ✭✭✭qz

lukin wrote:
    What's a PSP?

Playstation Portable, new games console.
    psp.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

lukin wrote:

Id assume you were talking about your laptop, since you asked what a PSP is.

Sparky_S wrote:
    Id assume you were talking about your laptop, since you asked what a PSP is.

Yeah, I was!

Advertisement