Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Frame Scrolling problem

Options
  • 17-06-2005 10:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I'm working on a site for a friend, and I just noticed a problem with a particluar page.

It's a simple site, with 3 frames, header, sidebar, and content.
    Basically, I checked what it looked like on smaller resolutions, and noticed that on one particular page, the content gets cut off on the side.

Whoever made the site has the scrolling set to auto, and it works fine on the rest of the pages, just not on this one.

The page in question, just contatains a table of data, which needs to be amended to add a new column, which is how I came across the problem.

The table itself is set to 98%, but when it's loaded in the frame about 30% gets cut off at lower resolutions.

Is there anyway to direct the browser to allow side scrolling on this page?

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭Ph3n0m

If the frame is set to auto then it should scroll in the directions it needs to

Throw up the url and lets have a look at the source code

• Registered Users Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭BizzyC

http://www.cominvest-am.ie/

The page in question is the "Fund Prices" page, under the "Product Range" tag on the navbar.

Fund Prices page has this code
    <body bgcolor="#FFFBF0" style="overflow-x:hidden">

edit so it looks like
    <body bgcolor="#FFFBF0">

Also on the navigation page you have some un needed code that forces the left side of the navigation to be hidden
    <div style="position:absolute; top:-3px; left:-1px;" >
    <table id="menu1" BORDER="1" CELLPADDING="0" CELLSPACING="0" style="border-left-style:none; border-left-width:thin; border-top-width:thin;" bordercolor=#333333 bgcolor=#FFCC33 width="174px;">

change the above to
    <table id="menu1" BORDER="1" CELLPADDING="0" CELLSPACING="0" style="border-left-style:none; border-left-width:thin; border-top-width:thin;" bordercolor=#333333 bgcolor=#FFCC33 width="174px;">

You may find you will have to further edit other pages but that should get you started

Thanks for the help, but the fund prices page still gets cut off when i reduce to 800x600, with no side-scrolling bar.

I'm trying to convince them to redesign the site, the code is really messy, plus it doesn't look great, does it.

The code is a mess and there is alot of un-ncessary code

Plus you never said what browser wasnt showing the scrollbar - I looked at it in Firefox and IE 6 and it seemed fine (800 x 600)

• Advertisement

Sorry, I'm using IE6.

On that page though, it only reads as far as the clos of business column when i view it.
    It's cutting off 2 more.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭rsynnott

There's something wrong with that frame up the top. It's slightly too big for the allocated space and <i>jumps</i> slightly when one clicks on it (Firefox, Linux). Don't put PDFs at the end of links without warning. And for this sort of site, don't use frames. (And that link thing on the side is HORRIBLE; keeps moving)

rsynnott wrote:
    There's something wrong with that frame up the top. It's slightly too big for the allocated space and <i>jumps</i> slightly when one clicks on it (Firefox, Linux). Don't put PDFs at the end of links without warning. And for this sort of site, don't use frames. (And that link thing on the side is HORRIBLE; keeps moving)

Thanks for letting me know about the top frame,
    as for the rest of it...I know.

I think it's terrible.
    They'd be much better off getting rid of the frames and javascript.

Figured it out.

The footer part of the table only had 6 columns, whereas the rest had 8. The browser wasn't making a scrollbar because the last 2 rows of the table specified 6 columns, which were in view already.

Advertisement