Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fire in the disco

Options
  • 17-06-2005 11:57am
    Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,485 ✭✭✭

.. or maybe fire brigade in the disco for that matter.

There I was working away upstairs on that lovely rooftop lab in the elec department (for the non-eng building heads it's the little house on top of the eng building with the antennas on top, for the engineers it's called the Antenna Research laboratory). Bam - the power goes off. Bad enough me thinks but then the awful squawk of the fire alarm starts. Ow ow ow that's too early for my head and damn thing was right above me too!

And so it's the full monty, everybody out, services sealing off the building, smoke vent windows open, emergency lighting on. Now some people knew where assembly point F was but most didn't and wandered around the building speculating on everything from mice to terrorism as possible causes. Pragmatically, a few of us went off for tea and were informed on our return by services that 'maybe we should take a long lunch'. Apparently the building had to be sealed and the fire brigade guy had to come and inspect the damage.

Turns out there wasn't really much of a fire - the feeder to the mighty mains transformer which powers the building exploded and the transformer was damaged. No power till monday means the weekend starts early for some! :D

Next time you'll take heed of the Danger! High Voltage sign won't you? :cool:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭kasintahan

Cool, what a nice way to start the weekend :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,391 ✭✭✭arbeitsscheuer

...And in entertainment news, the former-Miramax heads Bob and Harvey Weinstein are planning a feature-length production based on the 'sensational' and 'dramatic' events at the Antenna Research laboratory in the Elec Dept. in UCD. A provisional cast list has generic-lead-role-guy Ben Affleck as Red Alert, Hank Azaria as his quirky-lovable-sidekick/scientist-guy, and Jennifer Conolly as the woman he loved... It will cost 80 million dollars to make.
    I hope you're happy with what you've set in motion Red Alert. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭blondie83

SebtheBum wrote:
    ...And in entertainment news, the former-Miramax heads Bob and Harvey Weinstein are planning a feature-length production based on the 'sensational' and 'dramatic' events at the Antenna Research laboratory in the Elec Dept. in UCD. A provisional cast list has generic-lead-role-guy Ben Affleck as Red Alert, Hank Azaria as his quirky-lovable-sidekick/scientist-guy, and Jennifer Conolly as the woman he loved... It will cost 80 million dollars to make.
    I hope you're happy with what you've set in motion Red Alert. :D
    :D:D:D I want to be in it somewhere!

Must have been pretty suprising though, usually when the fire alarm goes off in the eng building ppl momentarily raise there heads, then get back to playing games on their computers! Enjoy the long weekend RedAlert :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 611 ✭✭✭Alana

Sounds quite exciting....now Red Alert if you're starring in this feature film-will you be wearing a cape...?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

Alana wrote:
    Sounds quite exciting....now Red Alert if you're starring in this feature film-will you be wearing a cape...?

my god alana havent you seen The Incredibles!! Capes are bad...mmmmkay :D

seriously though, i feel we should all play a part in this milestone of film-history.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭boneless

my god alana havent you seen The Incredibles!! Capes are bad...mmmmkay :D

seriously though, i feel we should all play a part in this milestone of film-history.

Can I wear me y-fronts outside me tights?? Pleeeease!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

boneless wrote:
    Can I wear me y-fronts outside me tights?? Pleeeease!!!

its supposed to be different from everyday life Enda :rolleyes:

Ok, the Weinstein Brothers said today, quote;
    "We are open to the possibility of the cast of characters being extended, and to that end we are calling on any current UCD students to submit a brief synopsis of themselves. In this way, we hope to create a realistic portrayal of student life-" blah blah blah ya get the picture. :rolleyes:

So there you have it, straight from the horses' mouths. We can all be in it. Yaay.
    But the question is, who would play the role of YOU in this Summer Blockbuster? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

SebtheBum wrote:
    Ok, the Weinstein Brothers said today, quote;
    "We are open to the possibility of the cast of characters being extended, and to that end we are calling on any current UCD students to submit a brief synopsis of themselves. In this way, we hope to create a realistic portrayal of student life-" blah blah blah ya get the picture. :rolleyes:

So there you have it, straight from the horses' mouths. We can all be in it. Yaay.
    But the question is, who would play the role of YOU in this Summer Blockbuster? :D

How about me! The words disaster and excitement usually go hand in hand with me. We could incorporate a bag full of lecture notes and a bunch of Shamrock Rovers fans into the storyline aswell........ now that is action! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

Off topic: Seb I've just noticed many words referring to a certain male organ are present in your sig. Is this going to be part of this blockbuster aswell by any chance?

• Advertisement

How about me!

Eh...
    Well when I asked "Who would play the part of YOU etc" I meant what ACTOR. Verstanden? :rolleyes:
    E.G. Like Ben Affleck playing the role of Red Alert. Ridiculous admittedly, but hey, that's Hollywood.

Off topic: Seb I've just noticed many words referring to a certain male organ are present in your sig. Is this going to be part of this blockbuster aswell by any chance?

It's a direct quote from a webcomic, Penny-Arcade. I think it's funny, so I put it in my sig. Don't read anythin into it. Speaking of my sig, I haven't changed it in a while, maybe now's the time... :D

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,485 ✭✭✭Red Alert

I'd want to star as myself. Peachy would have to play herself tho' as i think blondie should play herself as she sabotages the building's power. I can just see her exiting the transformer room in a totally non-suspicious fashion.

Actors hmm... where to find suitable impersonators of blondie and peachy.

And alana, i might just think about a cape. Could be more reminiscent of Snape from harry potter however! The eng building as hogwarts, now there's an idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭blondie83

There's a chem eng lecturer that walks around in a cape all day, we could just steal his! Oh and if I cut the power I wouldn't actually be seen leaving the room cos that would be too incriminating. I'd have to sneak out when nobodies watching - I'm starting to like this film idea more and more now :D

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,485 ✭✭✭Red Alert

We need to borrow a few of the services staff to act as droids too!

Can I write a romantic sub-plot?

Failing that, I'm good with pyrotechnics - hmmmm, perhaps we can combine the two...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭boneless

kasintahan wrote:
    Can I write a romantic sub-plot?

Failing that, I'm good with pyrotechnics - hmmmm, perhaps we can combine the two...

Call it "Burning Desires!"

*hugs imaginary holographic projection of cute girl*

Advertisement