Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jamster rumbled

Options
  • 17-06-2005 12:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭

From www.rte.ie

Ringtone firm to refund consumers after probe

June 17, 2005 10:53
    An investigation by the Office of the Director of Consumer Affairs has resulted in one company - Jamster - agreeing to make refunds to Irish consumers who have been overcharged. Jamster sells the popular 'Crazy Frog' ringtone.

Following several complaints to her office, the Director of Consumer Affairs decided to investigate the sale of mobile phone ringtones.

Carmel Foley said that consumers complained of being overcharged, their 'stop' message to cancel a subscription being ignored and text messages arriving in the middle of the night.

Detailing how the office carried out its investigation, Ms Foley said that the ODCA joined the Jamster Polyphonic Ringtone club on the internet. This promised six ringtones and six logos for 4 a week.

The ODCA remained in the club for four weeks and during this time, Jamster sent several text messages inviting them to get new sounds and logos. The office unsubscribed by sending a text 'stop' message and when the bill was checked, the ODCA found it had been overcharged by 100%.

Jamster claimed that the ODCA had joined twice, but officials from the office had detailed records proving that they had just registered once. Jamster then claimed that the ODCA had joined a club which entitled them to only six ringtones or six logos, but not both. But again ODCA had records to back their version of events.

Eventually, Jamester sent an email confirming that ODCA and other consumers had been overcharged and agreed to issue refunds.

'A lot of the advertising for ringtones is clearly targeted at children who don't understand the terms and conditions as an adult would', commented Carmel Foley. 'These are vulnerable consumers and therefore parental supervision is required,' she warns.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭Irishstabber

HAHA sooo true---I am a lucky refundee :D
    Called to complain about being overcharged last month(31st I believe)
    Got my refund yesterday by post :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,403 ✭✭✭passive

hmmm... my friend got ripped off by them about a year ago. Raped her credit for a good while..but she gave up on refund attempts. reckon it's too late to get it back or they'd be quick and easy for refunds after this incident?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭tabatha

i bought 3 ring tones from jamster about 6 months ago and only got charged for them, never got an text or email messages from them either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

A friend of mine was having so many problems with them that she couldn't resolve that she just got a new sim card !

She couldn't unsubscribe and kept getting charged over and over... So, after much annoyance she decided to dump her 4 year old phone number for a new sim card!

It's all a big con!

Get an MP3 capable mobile and put your own music clips on!

And if you're really mean, use a mic and a pc and sing your own ringtones :)

Who knows, it could take off and you might be selling your silly noises for 4 euros a pop to 10 year olds who spend all their pocket money on them.

What an industry!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

guys its all a big con.the owner should be shot for scamming innocent people.;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement