Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vipassana Meditation Courses

Options
  • 17-06-2005 1:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭

Hi everyone,

Just posting some information on Vipassana meditation courses in Ireland for those who may be interested. I've done two 10-day courses, a 3-day,a 1-day and served. It has worked miracles for me, and continues to be a great light in my life all the time, every day! For years I was searching for something that really works, and I was overjoyed to find Vipassana. For me, this path is definitely a "path with heart" :D

Has anyone here read any books by Krishnamurti, Dhiravamsa, Chopra? This course is along the same branch, i.e. a non-sectarian spiritual teaching given by Buddha. Vipassana seems to be, from my knowledge, the closest you will ever get to the direct teachings of Buddha, passed down along the line... after all, Buddha never really wanted us to make another "ism"!

Some very interesting info on Vipassnana can be found here, it's a nice summary of the teachings, easy to read:
    http://www.buddhanet.net/bvk_study/bvk002.htm

If any of you want to ask questions about my experience, feel free, I'll hang around!

--->
    Vipassana Meditation
    as taught by S N Goenka in the tradition of Sayagyi U Ba Khin

Vipassana means to see things as they really are. In a ten-day residential course, students learn to develop increased awareness and concentration, which they use to examine their own mental and physical nature. By the practice, they gain insight and detachment to free themselves from such mental tensions as anger, greed and fear.

Vipassana is an art of living, which enables the development of the positive qualities of pure love, compassion, joy and equanimity, providing a mental training of profound and practical value in everyday life. It is acceptable to people of all faiths and to those with no particular faith.

All courses are financed entirely by voluntary donations.

Schedule of 10-day Courses for 2005

17th–28th August
    27th December-7th January 2006

For an information pack, contact:
    Irish Vipassana Association
    91 Ballsbridge Woods, Dublin 4
    Voicemail: (01) 6677844
    email: info@ie.dhamma.org, registration@ie.dhamma.org

Vipassana Worldwide, visit www.Dhamma.org

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Cheers for that Dagon, sounds wonderful. I had read about this before, but was only aware of foreign courses. My biggest problem would be getting 10 days away from family etc....oh to be young free and single again ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭Dagon

hi Katie,

Yeah, I know how it is. As it is, I am young, free and single, but still it can be hard to get away for those 10-days without missing out on something or other!! The two 10-day courses I did were 27th Dec to 7th Jan - bit of a sacrafice I know, but it was worth it. I think this year I'm going to try to do it again (couldn't last year cos my sis came visiting all the way from Wales, only see her 2 time a year). Getting to the one in the summertime is fecking impossible!!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

Looks very interesting, thanks. 10 days is kind of awkward, but I guess it'd be of much more benefit than something that runs a couple of evenings a week or something like that.

"I guess it'd be of much more benefit than something that runs a couple of evenings a week or something like that."

This is what I found. After you do the 10-days it will be totally clear to you why it has got to be 10-days. Even though it seems a bit extreme, it's actually necessary to really get into the meditation, and to get the benefits. In the last couple of days of my second 10-day course, I felt I was actually really getting into a very deep and life-changing journey, and would have gladly done a few more days.

I've found that shorter courses, and weekend things will definitely give good benefits too, but I found the positive changes I could see in myself after the 10-day were much more "measureable", if that's not too technical a term to use in spiritual matters :D

Gives results here and now, not in the next world !

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭funkyship

I have done two ten day vipassana courses and I plan to do one a year. I dont want to talk about my own benefits as they really can differ from one person to the next but anyone who does a course will really open up parts of their mind and body that was already there but not noticed... Ten days is really needed to develop the technique properly. Vipassana is non-sectarian also meaning that anyone from any religion can do this. This technique applies to all of humanity and it is a blessing in life... "be happy"

• Advertisement

Yes funkyship, everything you've said I agree with!

I'm not going to go in depth on the huge benefits either, only to say that it has changed my existence and possibly saved me decades of unhappiness :D

*superbump* ;)

Just to update on the Vipassana courses; they still run three times a year in Ireland, but now with monthly day sits for old students in Dublin, and twice yearly 3-day courses.

For more info on all of this, see:
    http://www.ie.dhamma.org/index.php?id=ie_.html

• Registered Users Posts: 21,023 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

What would be a typical donation?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 329 ✭✭Corkgirl210

do they do any 1 day retreats? Ive done a vispana daily retreat and would like to do another one?

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Hoochiemama

What would be a typical donation?

A donation is whatever you feel is enough. There is no suggested or advised donation, its basically whatever you feel is the right amount for you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Hoochiemama

Dagon wrote: »
    *superbump* ;)

Just to update on the Vipassana courses; they still run three times a year in Ireland, but now with monthly day sits for old students in Dublin, and twice yearly 3-day courses.

For more info on all of this, see:
    http://www.ie.dhamma.org/index.php?id=ie_.html

Just finished my second 10 day sit and I feel so ALIVE. Vipassana has been the most beneficial thing I have done in my life

Advertisement