Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

White Collar Crime

Options
  • 17-06-2005 2:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭

Acording to recent figures white collar crime is costing this country millions of Euro every year.What I cant understand is the States lack of response to this sort of crime e.g how many staff in AIB were arrested for robing customers.Its like the Goverment and Gardai treat this crime as a sort of victimless crime,try telling that to the thousands of people who had millions of Euro swindled from them by dodgey banks,property developers etc.It seems to me the richer you are the less chance you have of going to prison if you break the law.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭Andrew 83

You're absolutely right, much more money is lost by the state each year by tax evasion than by welfare fraud yet only the latter is punished very hard. Until a couple of years ago only one person had ever gone to jail in teh country for tax fraud and then only for a very short time, every other one of the very few people to be convicted of it were fined much lower amounts of money than they'd made by their actions. So generally in Ireland the rule seems to be that if you commit white collar crime you'll probably get away with it and on the off chance that you do get caught you'll still end up making a profit.

I'd agree that the reason the government doesn't do anything is the public aren't generally outraged by white collar crime, and also they don't want to annoy their potential campaign funders and supporters!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭de5p0i1er

I'm with you on this one. Find these crooks and lock them up.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Hmmmmm I'd actually prefer is they keep the violent nutballs that commit crimes directly against the person in prison rather than let them out in the revolving door system that seems to be prevalient in the Irish Justice System than put white collar Criminals in prison. Hit them in the pocket with massive fines and ban them from working in a position where they have any sort of responsibility, that will hurt them more.

Oh and also ban them from holding public office.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,862 ✭✭✭mycroft

Uh so it's not bank robbery you object to
    hill16 wrote:
    So what if the IRA robbed a bank,the banks rob people every day.

From here

It's whom is robbing the bank you have the issue with. As in it's okay for the IRA to rob banks, just not the "middle class".

Oh and Seeing as half a dozen of your posts refer to middle class;
    Hill16 wrote:
    I vote Sinn Fein just to piss off the middle class,like some on this board.

I think the lady doth protest too much.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭hill16

Mycroft all I'm saying is there is one law for the rich and one for the poor.This state sends people to jail if they dont pay there television license but does not even arrest people in AIB who robed millions off customers.I am also entitled to my opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

hill16 wrote:
    Mycroft all I'm saying is there is one law for the rich and one for the poor.This state sends people to jail if they dont pay there television license but does not even arrest people in AIB who robed millions off customers.I am also entitled to my opinion.
    You are indeed and although I have disagreed with almost everything you've said since joining boards, this post is right on the money (sorry). There is indeed one law for the rich (or at least friends of the powerful) and another for the rest of us, but don't be fooled into thinking the middle class are rich. I am and I'm not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,862 ✭✭✭mycroft

hill16 wrote:

Yes, but the people who robbed AIB aren't middle class, they're rich, you've a skewed piece of class war snobbery going on here.

The super rich are like your precious 'RA, they don't pay taxes, don't give a damn about anyone but themselves, and will run over anyone who gets in their way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭hill16

Were in my thread did I mention anything about the middle class.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

hill16 wrote:
    Were in my thread did I mention anything about the middle class.
    True but in fairness he did highlight that you’re rather inconsistent on crime. So if social class is not what differentiates what you appear to hold as acceptable crime from the unacceptable variety, what does? I’d be very interested in hearing your explanation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭0utshined

hill16 wrote:

My understanding of the AIB situation was that accounts had been overcharged and that these have subsequently been payed back with interest. IANAL but if persons in that bank had committed criminal acts and the DPP had enough evidence to charge them I believe they would (will?) have done. If those people are richer than average it would only mean they can afford more expensive legal teams.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

hill16 wrote:
    Acording to recent figures white collar crime is costing this country millions of Euro every year.What I cant understand is the States lack of response to this sort of crime e.g how many staff in AIB were arrested for robing customers.Its like the Goverment and Gardai treat this crime as a sort of victimless crime,try telling that to the thousands of people who had millions of Euro swindled from them by dodgey banks,property developers etc.It seems to me the richer you are the less chance you have of going to prison if you break the law.

Rubbish

Have you ever been in an armed robbery with a gun being put to your head?

'Give us the fcukin' money! Or I'll blow your fcukin' brains out ya bleedin' muppeh!'

come back here when you have

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

hill16 wrote:
    I am also entitled to my opinion.

That's right, expose the flaws in society while you're at it.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

It's the fact that people working in places such as AIB think that they're untouchable. Fact of the matter is if I get a gun pointed to my head, or the bank's computer is programmed to steal my money i'm still down the same money. Sure it'd take a couple of days to get over the shock of a physical attack but the long term damage is the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

Red Alert wrote:
    the bank's computer is programmed to steal my money .

interesting way of describing it.
    Red Alert wrote:
    It's the fact that people working in places such as AIB think that they're untouchable.

They same could be said of armed robbers, muggers, syringe-wielding junkies etc
    Red Alert wrote:
    i'm still down the same money.

crap. If you're working in a retail outlet (shop, bank etc) as an employee and are the victim of an armed robbery then it's not *your* money that's being taken.
    Red Alert wrote:
    Sure it'd take a couple of days to get over the shock of a physical attack but the long term damage is the same.

a couple of days ?? :rolleyes:
    Have you ever been in that position?
    Some people take ages to get over attacks like that

btw - if you were undercharged or incorrectly credited money by a bank would you give it back?

• Registered Users Posts: 78,417 ✭✭✭✭Victor

hill16 wrote:
    What I cant understand is the States lack of response to this sort of crime e.g how many staff in AIB were arrested for robing customers.
    Assuming you meant "robbing" customers, none. Robber is theft with menaces, the accusations against AIB staff are fraud or theft.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Victor wrote:
    Assuming you meant "robbing" customers....
    Oh yeah, unless it's now a crime to supply robes with menaces :D
    "Put this fcukin coat on or I'll blow yer fcukin brains out" :D

Advertisement