Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Take Eircom while waiting on Smart is best option?

• 17-06-2005 2:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭

I registered with Smart in March, expecting availabilty by the end of this month (as per their web site). Smart have now informed me by email in reply to my request for an update that my exchange (Letterkenny) is now delayed, but that they "anticipate" that it will be live by the end of the summer. However, they can't be sure of that and can't specify what they deem the end of the summer to be. :confused:

This could go on for months more, so I'm now thinking about going with Eircom home starter for six months, then move to Smart if available by then. Anyone see a downside to this (apart from shelling out more to Eircom)? Cost would be €160 for six months or average €25 per month + line rental = just under €50 per month. Also if I went with BT or UTV I would have the additional hassle of moving back to Eircom from them before going with Smart (under current arrangements). Hopefully number porting would be resolved in six months too. Smart have told me by email that if I go with Eircom for six months and then move to them I would still be entitled to the free line rental for life.

btw - options in Letterkenny are BT, Eircom, UTV or Satellite.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Take it 8track.

In order to go with Smart when your contract is over (and Assuming they have Letterkenny live by then ) you must terminate the contract cleanly at the end of the 6 months and return any equipment that is not yours to keep by 14 days later .

The 6 month contracts roll over into another FULL 6 month contract when they end , they do not then go Month to month which is what happens when the 12 month contracts are up.

If you miss your break date you will have to pay Eircom 6 months in advance to get out of the contract . Same with anyone else who signed up to them since the 1st of April 2005 ....or thereabouts

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

i moved from eircom to bt and had no hassle at all really. Got eircom to connect the line for free then applied for esatbt voice and bb package. bt has no minimum contract so it'd be worth it seeing as how you'll get bb + line rental for €49p.m. Took about 2 weeks to get it all sorted but there was no interruption in the voice service. If you apply to eircom for their bb it'll take about that long before you are set up anyway so if i were you i'd just go with BT altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭8track

Thanks Sponge Bob about alert on roll over to another six month contract if not cancelled in time.

Thanks to you too Scruff. You got me thinking - had another look at BT website and I'm now thinking about BT broadband plus; only €8 extra per month for extra 12Gb per month cap and speed of 2Mb instead of 1Mb, still with no minimum contract term. I'm thinking it's worth the risk of possibly more hassle in maybe having to go back to Eircom before taking Smart when it's available. However, hopefully by then (2 - 6 months approx.), one will be able to switch directly from any ISP to Smart.

Cheers.

Advertisement