Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish independent exam diary?

Options
  • 17-06-2005 2:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,403 ✭✭✭

Has anyone else read this? and agree with me that the guy is the most pretentious and annoying twat i have ever had the misfortune to come across in a newspaper or, indeed, anywhere?

I'd just like some support on this :p
    "something has to be done as, in a few years, the only students doing honours maths will be greasy little point-dexters (all male) with long hair tied back, you know the sort. the quintessential geek"

"i wrote of their backward economy, 20pc unemployment... and then i realised. I had spent too long on the italian question! Dio cane!

F*cking W*nker

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Johnerr

just his opinion

• Closed Accounts Posts: 362 ✭✭the smiley one

Yes yes, he is a bit of an eejit. The guy in the Times is better, and writes better too. That guy really pisses me off!!!! he looks so smug *shifty eyes*...

:)

(if the named guy is reading, I'm sorry just going by the impression I got...)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 728 ✭✭✭randomfella

Let me guess passive, u do honours maths and have greasy long hair?

Only jokin'
    Theres a picture of him in the herald? maybe, some tabloid anyway. He is fat and wears glasses. :D NOt a pretty fukc!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭7thSeal

No one in my year that does honours maths has long hair

Even ignoring the honours maths stuff (yes I do honours maths and I am *shock* a girl with out greasy black hairl!!) he's just annoying. REALLY annoying, I stopped reading after day 2

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,403 ✭✭✭passive

No.. pass maths actually and my hair's long but neither greasy nor long enough to tail in a ponylike manner :P.

And yes it's his opinions... but they suck and we should not be subjected to them. There has to be nicer people with better self expression and less toff nosed attitudes.. he made some reference to driving around in his car in one of the earlier maths questions...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭Beau

Fcuk that lads, its better than some guy trying to be nice. He`s alright in my book.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭oq4v3ht0u76kf2

A mate of mine used to go to Dunshauglin Community College (where your man Mcgreal goes) and apparently, yes, their history teacher really is that good!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭mrs. hamlet

I think he's alrite!
    He has to think of something to write in the column n what he was tryin 2 say if people aren't given extra credit for doing hon maths, hardly anyone will do it in the future which is true since it is so much more work than any other hon subject!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭Shinny-dee

i agree wit miss hammy.....the whole point of bein a journalist is t express your own point of view!also hes a lot hotter than the irish times gut!!easyier to forgive in my book!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭*Angel*

Bullsh*t, however there is one guy in my year who has longish greasy hair who does honours, a simple coincidence.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

There are no greasy-haired guys in my Maths class either... Actually, while we're talking about it, where do the papers pick up these twats that write the exam diaries? Are they usually related to one of the journalists or something?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 939 ✭✭✭chicken_food

dunshaughlin community school has often been refered to as 'the brain factory' maybe cos they are really good or they make brains. Either way i like it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭OTliddy

Give the guy a break(no i'm not him). Yes, what he said about maths(greasy hair) was wrong, but he has to fill up the article with something. He has a good turn of phrase("I can't croos the road anymore without wondering am I taking the shortest perpendicular distance").Also, it can't be easy writing a newspaper column every day during your leaving cert. It would take me days to do even one!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,872 ✭✭✭segadreamcast

Personally I'm glad to see the guy in the TIMES stopped (or was forced to stop?) writing. He was simply one of the worst 'exam diary' correspondants I've ever come across - and I've been regularly reading such columns for three years. Every article he wrote seemed to be based around the theme of food, and, consequently, the picture seemed to correspond with the food-obsessed image he conveyed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭captain_frances

I think he just meant that honours maths is getting much harder, and only the super brainy will be able to sit it. Meh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 359 ✭✭vote4pedro

NoelRock wrote:
    Personally I'm glad to see the guy in the TIMES stopped (or was forced to stop?) writing. He was simply one of the worst 'exam diary' correspondants I've ever come across - and I've been regularly reading such columns for three years. Every article he wrote seemed to be based around the theme of food, and, consequently, the picture seemed to correspond with the food-obsessed image he conveyed.

Surely not as bad as the tw*t last year who seemed like being the biggest lick arse I've ever come across. What kind of fool takes on the added work of writing for a national newspaper during their exams? Oh wait, the same kind of person who last year 'took an hour off the study so I could go vote for the PD's in the Euro elections with Mammy and Mamo' :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭mrs. hamlet

Shinny-dee wrote:
    hes a lot hotter than the irish times gut!!easyier to forgive in my book!!
    Totally agree!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,894 ✭✭✭✭phantom_lord

Yeah i agree he's a twat, looks wont sway my opinion. Mainly cause i'm a guy...

He's not a very good writer, is he? They seem to pick the same, stereotypical smart-ass-pretentious-thesaurus-loving guys each year. I'm waiting for him to talk about how he's going to celebrate the end of exams, "With a nice bottle of cider, it shall be great!."

• Advertisement

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Shinny-dee
    hes a lot hotter than the irish times gut!!easyier to forgive in my book!!

Totally agree!!

It's things like this that have always cemented my belief that women shouldn't be allowed vote...

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

NoelRock wrote:
    Hahahaha, oh that's harsh, even if it is true. I wonder where he disappeared to?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭Beau

It was a joke! get over yourselevs. That comment was`nt meant to be taken seriously. He seems just like a normal cool enough guy. Better than the Irish Times dude anyway, a bit more real or something.

Dunshaughlin Community School a "brain factory", if I had a known this I would`ve went there myself!! (I`m only down the road from it) instead of going the skip in Navan.

Beau wrote:
    It was a joke! get over yourselevs. That comment was`nt meant to be taken seriously. He seems just like a normal cool enough guy. Better than the Irish Times dude anyway, a bit more real or something.
    Totally disagree. From what (little) I've read of both of them, the guy in the Indo is trying too hard to be "a journalist", it's too well thought out, too forced or something.....Anyway I waaay preferred the guy in the Times, the writing is good imo (again what little I read of it)...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭Shinny-dee

passive wrote:
    It's things like this that have always cemented my belief that women shouldn't be allowed vote...

sexist ****er cant believe theres people that narrow minded livin in ireland! an also if it was a girl sayin that crap u wud be thinkin d same thing f she wasn that great lookin den u'd comment f she ws hot u'd be readin everyday. nothin wrong with sayin someones good lookin. its peolpe like you that keep women oppressed. up the suffragettes!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 304 ✭✭Dagnir Glaurung

Don't be silly, women have nothing to get up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭upmeath

Anybody want his number? Haha, I know classmates of his...
    Yeah Day 2 was quite enough for me too, I do HL maths, and now have short brown hair which was long greasy brown hair in fifth year, and was blonde in earlier years. Doesn't mean I'm a dumb blonde Maths student though...
    I remember on day one or two he spoke of sheep in neighbouring fields and the number of engineering firms in the Milan region... it would be better if he discussed the exams and his preparation and opinions rather than trying to throw little bits of educational crap in like a set of shorthand rapid-revision notes...
    I'm in school in Trim and I'm no great fan of a lot of the Dunshaughlin students I know. When I come across them in sports and with friends, some have a bigheadedness that really bugs me, almost like they're the chosen ones, god's people. you live in a street-village 5 miles from blanchardstown, be grateful you're not closer! It's a school like no other though, as regards its students and their smugness, I'm sure Beau will agree?

upmeath wrote:
    Anybody want his number? Haha, I know classmates of his...
    Yeah Day 2 was quite enough for me too, I do HL maths, and now have short brown hair which was long greasy brown hair in fifth year, and was blonde in earlier years. Doesn't mean I'm a dumb blonde Maths student though...
    I remember on day one or two he spoke of sheep in neighbouring fields and the number of engineering firms in the Milan region... it would be better if he discussed the exams and his preparation and opinions rather than trying to throw little bits of educational crap in like a set of shorthand rapid-revision notes...
    I'm in school in Trim and I'm no great fan of a lot of the Dunshaughlin students I know. When I come across them in sports and with friends, some have a bigheadedness that really bugs me, almost like they're the chosen ones, god's people. you live in a street-village 5 miles from blanchardstown, be grateful you're not closer! It's a school like no other though, as regards its students and their smugness, I'm sure Beau will agree?

From what I've seen of blackrock and belvo, you can count them in the equation *ba dum* too.....

sexist ****er cant believe theres people that narrow minded livin in ireland! an also if it was a girl sayin that crap u wud be thinkin d same thing f she wasn that great lookin den u'd comment f she ws hot u'd be readin everyday. nothin wrong with sayin someones good lookin. its peolpe like you that keep women oppressed. up the suffragettes!!

Actually it was tongue in cheek and not something i actually believe.. (although i am tested by girls talking about attractive politicians like they talk about actors)

but, regardless of whether or not i meant what i said, you're an annoying airhead. Do continue your good work making the rest of us look better. and for gods sake you have a whole keyboard.. stop texting it in. And NO. If it was a stupid girl writing the article and she was pretentious and annoying i would most certainly NOT say "i'll put up with her stupid and anger inducing journalism because i find her physically attractive" (or "lol, ill listen 2 her cos shes a ride")

I'll leave it at that... i'm off to go keep women oppressed (i've got 3 of them on a treadmill powering my house)

(edit: and no, there's nothing wrong with saying someones good looking... in moderation. Being Shallow and talking about someone's appearance/image like it's an important or decisive factor in whether or not the person is interesting, worth listening to, a good human being etc is the bull**** that pisses me off and yes, i think girls are guilty of it on a wider scale than guys.)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭upmeath

passive wrote:
    I'll leave it at that... i'm off to go keep women oppressed (i've got 3 of them on a treadmill powering my house)

Got any more for me? I've been looking for a few women to help out around the house.
    This thread is getting very hot and heavy for something that started on the hopelessness of a lad who is less-than-likely studying journalism next year. But if you think about it, that's exactly who the papers should be looking to have keep the exam diary. Students who do honours English and intend to study journalism in DCU or DIT the following October. These are the ones who actually know their modes of language and how to be short and sweet, but concise and relevant. And it would give them their first taste of the world they intend to move into. I hope someone from the Indo or Times reads this.
    And on the topic of Dunshaughlin, Belvo and the Rock being bigheaded... Dunshaughlin have no reason to be snobby, it's a public school in a village... but when it was built back in the 80s they decided to call it a community college, not a community school. ooh-law-dee-daw.
    I don't want to steer this in the direction of a Public vs. Private schools thread, but I know a lot of decent people in Belvo, but it has to be said that the Rock fall into a superiorist bracket. Intolerable.
    So now, can we move back from the sexism, suffragettes, female oppression and public school and focus solely on this budding exam reporter and his words of wisdom? Thank you...

Advertisement