Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SWG - a newish "re-view"

Options
  • 17-06-2005 2:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭

Well,
    this isn't a classic review because i'm not reviewing the game. But from time to time i like to check up on old MMO's I played to see if there have been any improvements or not etc.

So I went back to the SWG forums and read some there and in other places about the combat upgrade (that's arrived a couple of years after it was supposed to).

All I can say is boy am I glad I quit this game back when I did. From what I can see is that it's turned into a big mess.

They've removed a lot of the "techonology" and replaced it with magical aspects, it looks like people are actually casting SPELLS now.

The game seems to have lost it's skill based system and has reverted to EQ style levels (level 80 being the highest).

Solo play has been greatly diminished (thoguh this may be a good thing).

From my point of view the only part that I really cared about the most was the Jedi profession. One that took 30 times more time investment than a normal profession.

It seems from the Jedi forums at least that the dev's have decided to destroy this profession completely ( i never thought it possible for it to be worse than it was, but yes they managed it).

Jedi defences have been removed. Most Jedi will die in 2-3 hits to an average Bounty hunter. Even high ranked jedi struggle to hold their own.

People who "cheat" by teaming up with friends to kill each other repeatedly for FRS gains get rewarded by getting the only viable defence the jedi ever had.

Jedi damage has been reduced by a third

Light sabers can now do ELEMENTAL like heat and cold (light sabers are elemental?) or even acid (since when was a saber made of acid) damage. Lets just throw out any remaining resemblance to the star wars universe.

In short, this has reaffirmed my belief that SoE are scum and not to be trusted with anything, and I definately will never buy or pay for a game made by them and I encourage everyone else here to do the same.

(p.s. this post is not meant for eq fanbois that like pointless endless grinding or cybering with 40 year old men)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Well you've saved me $15 and a few hours of patching if nothing else...the change from skills to levelling is one of the most retarded things I think SOE have done with SWG (and that's saying something).

They've promised the comabat upgrade for over a year and it's no great shakes from what I can make out...crafting was my all in the 14 months I played...so much of that has changed too, and I can't be arsed regrinding something "fun".

Such potential, such an easy franchise to market....how they fcuked it up really is beyond me. I'll think twice before I line SOE's pockets for antoher of their titles..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭Memnoch

ya i read that the armor crafting profession correspondant got fired by SOE for telling the players to email their concerns to them??!?!?!

Also thousands of players protested SoE's lame changes by meeting up at one place resulting in the servers crashing and many people getting banned.

The SOE propaganda machine keeps talking about how the "unhappy" people are in a small but vocal minority, whereas polls on their OFFICIAL website showed up to 80% of customers polled as being very unhappy with the CU!

Apparently these polls got deleted very fast.

Theforce.net has also been flooded by mails with ppl who are very unhappy about what SoE have done. Seems they ruined the game for more than just jedi.

Like I said before. I'm glad I quit before

• Registered Users Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭Ivan

Its a shame too, I'm just getting into Knights of the Old Republic 2, what a fantastic game. I'd love if the guys that make it could be put in charge of SWG or release an add-on for KoTR2 that allows multiplayer gameplay like in Baldurs Gate/etc.

Neither are likely to happen, anytime soon, so I guess I'll have to try Matrix online :p

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭Memnoch

Matrix online is supposed to be pretty bad Ivan, and full of bugs.

Still let us know if you like it once you try it.

Add to that the fact that SOE just bought MxO...steer well clear IMO

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭Ivan

rofl
    I was trying to be incredibly sarcastic :o

• Registered Users Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭Monty - the one and only

memnoch, first and foremost about that poll it was done during the beta test...and you didnt have to have played the beta to vote not to mention most people in swg do not read the forums...

secondly if you think Jedi defences have been removed...my ass they have... have witnessed a jedi taking fire from 15-16 people with 0 health laughing his head... using avoid incap... master defenders havean ablity that adds 500 defence points to their defence mixed with 1500 heals they are an utter nightmare... The FRS is disabled at the moment and has been for over a month, so thats a mute point there, jedi knights were... the older ones who know how to fight are butchering bh left right and center...
    Jedi had to be weakened because they were destroying pvp, there are far too many of them to have the sheer strenght that they had on the battlefield.

Now ive pvped alot since the cu in large scale combat those graphical effects are invaluable... you can tell at a glance just who you should be targeting, im sure youve played other games where yould realise this

call me a fanboi if you wish but your "review" is one sided and had you actually played the game again, you might change your mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Drakar

To be fair a review, or even a 're-view' that's based on reading the forums wouldn't reflect well on any game methinks. WoW forums are filled with posts about crashing and lagging and this class is broken, nerfed etc, whereas for many people the game is fine. The problem with forums is it's the people who are unhappy who post, people who are satisfied with the game have playing to do...

Drakar wrote:
    To be fair a review, or even a 're-view' that's based on reading the forums wouldn't reflect well on any game methinks. WoW forums are filled with posts about crashing and lagging and this class is broken, nerfed etc, whereas for many people the game is fine. The problem with forums is it's the people who are unhappy who post, people who are satisfied with the game have playing to do...

I'd agree with that a lot, especially SWG where it was reckoned only 10-15% of the player base actually knew about the forums, let alone posted on them.
    However, most forum posters are hardened players and can point out flaws or bugs in gaming systems that casual players simply don't notice...so it works both ways.

Just as an addendum; my ex-guild have for the most part renewed their subscrips and are for the most part happy with the new aspects to the game. They've gone to WoW, found it boring, tried a few other MMOs and still reckkon SWG is the one to go for even if it does still need a lot of tweaking.
    The content for high end players seems to be a lot more fulfilling since I last played...

Advertisement