Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Xp problem

• 17-06-2005 3:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭

Anyone got any ideas? It just happen one day randomly my computer would start to shut it self down, That was grand. But now when I turn it on the thing just keeps restrting from the boot menu.

It is a packard bell pulsar 600 updated for 98 to xp. Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

Have you ran a virus/spyware check?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭Djddd1

As I said It restarts as soon as it hits the Microsoft xp Boot Screen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭WetDaddy

Hmmm... Sounds like it could be the work of something you recently installed (or perhaps some malicious software that installed itself without you knowing!). If there's a crash on the XP start-up screen, it's likely to be your registry or something similar.

Have you tried booting into safe mode? You've to press "Delete" (not the backspace key!) just after you've turned on the PC. If you're not sure when to exactly, just keep pressing it. You'll be presented with a menu of choices from which you can choose "Safe Mode".

Try that and see if windows will load then...

Afterthought: You didn't install any new hardware, did you? Could be making XP mad. Has XP worked before, or did it start crashing just after the upgrade? It could be a component that doesn't really like XP. Or a BIOS setting. Or a butterfly flapping it's wings i... ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭J-blk

deathfunk wrote:
    Have you tried booting into safe mode? You've to press "Delete" (not the backspace key!) just after you've turned on the PC. If you're not sure when to exactly, just keep pressing it. You'll be presented with a menu of choices from which you can choose "Safe Mode".

"Delete" will get him into the BIOS on mobos running an Award or Phoenix BIOS. "F8" brings up the Windows XP Startup Options.

Safe Mode is a good bet though if you're lucky, "Last Known Good Configuration" may sort you out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,141 ✭✭✭masteroftherealm

Is it going to the menu that you have to select what option(safe mode tec?)

• Advertisement

Let I think the computer though I was going mad and that I was restating it and it put itself in safe mode, But same thing happens I notice a blue screen and then I quickly turns off so I can't read it.

I tryed it again same problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭WetDaddy

"Delete" will get him into the BIOS on mobos running an Award or Phoenix BIOS. "F8" brings up the Windows XP Startup Options.

Can't believe I made that mistake... Must've been a tough day :)

If the blue screen is flashing for a second then rebooting the machine, it sounds to me like a hardware problem. Do you have any USB devices connected to the PC? Or PCMCIA cards or anything? Try disconnecting them all be for booting...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 364 ✭✭odie

Go in to Safe mode - Then go in to the Sytem Properties in Control panel (System Icon). Click on the Advanced tab then click on the Settings button under Startup and Recovery section. Deselect "Automatically restart". Click OK to all screens then restart.

If this does not fix it then try unplugging all unneeded external devices. Also uninstall the most recent programs installed.

Can't even get into the control panel.

• Advertisement
Advertisement