Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sweet sweet chemistry

Options
  • 17-06-2005 3:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭

Anyone have any tips on this, the most wonderous of all subjects? Or at least know where I can find any? Anything to aim for would be most helpful.

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

Everyone's saying bleach experiment, winkler experiment, I can't remember what else but do a search and you should find the predictions threads

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭sixdraw

preperation of ethanoic acid.i think its one of the only organic preperations that hasn't been up yet, not sure though. have a look at the comparison of the halogens as oxidising agents and le chatelier's exp.s and flame tests.
    clove oil aswell has only been up in sec. B , quite a lot they can ask on it so they might put it in.

(I accept no responsibility for a failed exam though)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭Cherry_Pie

pH is tipped for a ques this year!!! Appartently something about the pH of water is due up!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭Matthewthebig

Winkler will be on it!
    trust me

Yup! I was told Winkler at the Easter grinds in the institute!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭acri

Ah, many thanks. Damn this course. heh heh, winkler...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 StevieK5000

Don't go in without knowing this:

1. Primary alcohol oxidises to Aldehyde oxidises to acid

2. Secondary alcohol oxidises to Ketone

I'll eat my shoe if some reference to this doesn't come up. High probability of being a big question!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭2e

I'll eat my shoe if some reference to this doesn't come up. High probability of being a big question!!!!
    What size shoe are you???? :D

I'm not taking any chances on the organic chemistry. I'm just gonna do it all. 40% of the test is on organic alone and it's not difficult. Just loadsa little finniky bits. I hope, for your sake, those quoted references come up.

In Chemistry Live theres a graph on page 382! I would suggest everone knows it and knows how to use it!!!! Its a great help if you can to it!! To learn it, cover the bottom half of the page , alcohols down and learn those links, very easy, it, Petroleum - Alkane - Haloalkane ect. Then learn the bottom half of the page, more complicated but easy to learn in a small chunk! Then put the two together!! It'll save your ass for organic!!!

• Advertisement

It's all about chemistry
    It's all about chemistry
    Oh-oh-oh-oh-oh, oh

It's all about chemistry
    It's all about chemistry
    Oh-oh-oh-oh-oh, oh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭Richard_Fonzie

I dont see why the Winkler method should come up. Perhaps it hasn't been up before, but there was an enviromental chemistry/water experiment up last year (hardness). This year I think it's going to be Bleach (or iodine + thiosulfate), preparation of Ethanal/Ethanoic/Clove Oil and an Equilibrium one (probably le chateliers).

My reasoning: At least one of each of a Organic Chemistry and a Titration usually come up every year, each of these hasn't come up before, chemical equilibrium has come up in 2 out of 3 papers (and didn't come up last year) and enviromental chemistry/water has come up in 1 out of 3 papers (and did come up last year). I'm probably going to be only doing 2, but I'm fairly certain that at least 2 of the ones from titrations/organic chemistry/chemical equilibrium that haven't come up before will come up this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 362 ✭✭the smiley one

but I'm fairly certain that at least 2 of the ones from titrations/organic chemistry/chemical equilibrium that haven't come up before will come up this year.

A titration and an organic experiment HAS to come up (Q1 and 2). The third question is the rest of the mandatory exps...(cloves and bezoic are included in organic btw).

Well at least that's what I've been told for the last 2 years...

:)

Edit: In my haste I think I read your post wrong...just so everyone knows...

They dont HAVE to come up, it's just that they're extremely likely to come up. Take last year for example, an organic chemistry one did come up, but the Titration one was from the Enviromental Chemistry/Water section. 17 of these experiments in all btw, but 6 have come up and some are very simple/straight forward (like preparation of standard solution of sodium carbonate).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 362 ✭✭the smiley one

They dont HAVE to come up, it's just that they're extremely likely to come up. Take last year for example, an organic chemistry one did come up, but the Titration one was from the Enviromental Chemistry/Water section. 17 of these experiments in all btw, but 6 have come up and some are very simple/straight forward (like preparation of standard solution of sodium carbonate).

I think we are getting our wires crossed here and we are sayiny the same thing
    A titration and
    An organic exp
    comes up every year , without fail.

That's all I was saying....doesn't matter....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,319 ✭✭✭sci0x

My Chemistry teacher said that if he was setting the paper, he would set something that was given in the last 3 years in spite of all of us trying to guess of what they could ask that has nver come up.

Anyway, they have a habit of asking questions that they give out as additional questions in the exam papers. They sometimes take the exact question from the additional questions and throw it onto the paper. So take a look at all of those Qs especiall the exps ones which are "the preperation of ethanal" with Qs asked on the prep of ethanoic acid in it so would be a good question.

Generally I think papers are quite predictable, but still, any tips are still useful. Soap, Ethanol, Ethanoic Acid and Equilibrium reactions are the only exps I'm revising.

I think we are getting our wires crossed here and we are sayiny the same thing
    A titration and
    An organic exp
    comes up every year , without fail.

That's all I was saying....doesn't matter....

Yes we are :), but I was just saying that they *could* pull a fast one (and they kind of did it last year) and screw alot of unsuspecting people out of an experiment!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

They could but volumetric analysis and organic chemistry are two of the most important sections of the course as it relates to chemistry in the real world (apparently) so it's doubtful. But they've already thrown up a few surprises in other subjects so you never know

• Registered Users Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭JackKelly

i also heard that a water of cyrstallisation could be up this year.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,319 ✭✭✭sci0x

These are the exps im looking over:
    Concentration of sodium hypochlorite present in bleach
    Rate of decomposition of hydrogen peroxide using manganese dioxide as a catalyst
    Clove Oil
    Preperation of ethanoic acid
    Washing soda
    Heat of Neutralisation
    Preperation of Ethanal
    Flame tests and anion tests could all be asked in one question
    Winkler
    Equilibrium Exps

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Cotsy

Anyone know whats the test to distinguish between ethanal and ethanoic acid? In my mock i said the differnet boiling points but got 0 marks so i guess that wasnt what they were lookin for.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,894 ✭✭✭✭phantom_lord

Test for acidity i guess...one's an acid...

ye was thinking that, thanks nyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 CoffeeFreak

Cotsy wrote:
    Anyone know whats the test to distinguish between ethanal and ethanoic acid? In my mock i said the differnet boiling points but got 0 marks so i guess that wasnt what they were lookin for.

One test would be adding acidified KMNO4, for ethanal, it will decolourise, but it won't for ethanoic acid because it can't be oxidised any more. The KMNO4 gets reduced from 7+(purple) to 2+(colourless) as the ethanal is oxidised.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,894 ✭✭✭✭phantom_lord

The chem course isn't that big, would you not just do all 28exp. They're pretty much the same anyway(the titrations i mean) and there's not much in the rest.

cool good stuff, as you can see i'm pretty screwed for this test.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭JackKelly

Also, fehlings solution (goes from Cu2+ to Cu+1 , Red to Blue...i think?), or tollens reagent (amonical silver nitrate, a silver deposit is left on the inside of the test tube) both prove its a aldehyde.....i've been studing!

I was told a water experiemnt has come up every year and the Winkler is the only Water experiment NOT to have been on the paper yet! So Im just saying, Im going in there knowing it!! This its better to at least read over it than not!

• Advertisement

I think the "If it hasn't come up yet it's definatley coming up this year" method of prediction only works if it's the last year of the course (i.e. English). I've a funny feeling Benzoic Acid recrystallisation is a-comin up and almost certain a Le Chatelier's Principle. As regards section B, havn't a clue. But again, I think if I know the Option, Water and Organic, there's about 70/80% of your test right there.

Advertisement