Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sweet sweet chemistry

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭Richard_Fonzie

^^^
    If you're talking about Section A, that's not correct. From the 4 papers (2001 sample, 2002, 2003, 2004) only one of them has featured a 'water' experiment, and that was last year. Water questions do come up in Section B (but by that logic so does every single other major topic) and there seems to be a 7-mark short question in Q.4 every year, but they're not worth very many marks (7 in 2004; 18 + 7 in 2003; 7 + 50 in 2002) compared to other topics you could be focusing on. My guess is that there'll be half a question (18-25 marks) in section B this year.

acri wrote:
    I think the "If it hasn't come up yet it's definatley coming up this year" method of prediction only works if it's the last year of the course (i.e. English). I've a funny feeling Benzoic Acid recrystallisation is a-comin up and almost certain a Le Chatelier's Principle. As regards section B, havn't a clue. But again, I think if I know the Option, Water and Organic, there's about 70/80% of your test right there.

Benzoic Acid came up last year :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,319 ✭✭✭sci0x

No reason why they wouldnt ask it again if i was badly answered last year or ask it in one of the questions rather than as an exp this year

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭acri

Benzoic Acid came up last year :)

That's not gonna stop it come up this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭Cherry_Pie

I wasn't talking about Section A! I was talking about anywhere in the paper! If you go over all the papers so far there has been a water experiment in there somewhere!! Its not my prediction though, I was told that in the institute last Easter. Anyway, Im speed reading the entire book and going over anything I find I don't know! Because really the only way you can be ready for this paper is to know everything! Youre dead right when you say its not English or something, Chem is quite difficult to predict!!!!

Good Luck to everyone!! Hope you all do well!! :)

• Advertisement

http://www.education.ie/servlet/blobservlet/lc_chemistry_sy.pdf

And heres a link to the Chem Syllabus!!

That's not gonna stop it come up this year.

In Section A it is. Otherwise you might as well just learn every single experiment.

The syllabus doesn't really help, because it just tells you what's on the course, rather than how the examiner sets a paper (I have the edco papers to go on for that...).
    Good Luck to everyone!! Hope you all do well!!

Your Welcome!

Syllabus can help if your really lost!! Use it was a check off list for final revision cram sessions!! Break up the time you have by the time it says for the teachers to spend on each part!!! If your on track then nope you wont need it!!! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭deek

Erm ok sorry about this Ive tried looking in the syllabus for this but just got utterly confused! Do we have to know all the chromatography experiments i.e tlc,paper etc.
    I know we have to know gas and HPLC, u.v and infra-red im just talking about the experiment ones. Any help would be soo good cos I really dont have a clue! :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭scorpy

yeah, I think you have to know all the experiment ones. they're not too hard anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Cotsy

I'm no expert but i think u only have to know 1 type of Thin Layer, Paper and column

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,319 ✭✭✭sci0x

I've seen questions though specific to thin layer chromotography, and questions like what this process is better than paper chromatography.

Hmmmm and the mystery continues...................

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭sixdraw

chemistry has to be the hardest subject to learn. I had everything done really well until the start of the exams and I have to start all over again tonight. It just doesn't seem to stick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 Doctor D-Man

do do doo doo dooo dooooo de de de de. hmm... x-files tune doesnt really work like that does it. Chromatogogographigrams eh... in my day - when i actually worked at chem last year we just did paper chromowatchamacallit but thats just my class. anyway, there never really a big question on it afaik.

All we did was put ink on a piece of paper and watch it run...what more can I say :)

^^^
    That's what it feels like for me. I had the same feeling going into Physics (after staying up until 3 to study..), but everything worked out fine. When you're under pressure, it comes back to you, and a little study the night before reinforces it (at least for me).

:mad: Im the same!!! Got amazing results all year and today its all just GONE!!!!

HELP!!!!!!!! :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 362 ✭✭the smiley one

deek wrote:
    Erm ok sorry about this Ive tried looking in the syllabus for this but just got utterly confused! Do we have to know all the chromatography experiments i.e tlc,paper etc.
    I know we have to know gas and HPLC, u.v and infra-red im just talking about the experiment ones. Any help would be soo good cos I really dont have a clue! :rolleyes:

afaik, you have to know one of the chromatography exps (most people do the paper one). However you have to know the theory and processes to the 2 other ones ie. HPLC and Gas. You also have to know the UV IR absorption spectra....but they are kinda different....oh, and you have to know uses for all of them.

Our teacher gave us notes from the syllabus on instrumentation so it should be all there. Hoped that helped!

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 StevieK5000

2e wrote:
    What size shoe are you???? :D

5000 :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 362 ✭✭the smiley one

Cherry_Pie wrote:
    :mad: Im the same!!! Got amazing results all year and today its all just GONE!!!!

HELP!!!!!!!! :(

Calm!!! It's in there somewhere, and even if you get into the exam and you think you don't know the answer to the stuff, think it out logically...a lot of the stuuf is common sense if you think about it. You obviously know a good bit of chemistry, so I wouldn't wortry too much - just do lots of exam papers and look up the answers at www.examinations.ie to hone your exam technique.

You'll be fine!! :)

• Advertisement

Hoped that helped!

Yay thanx smiley one :D

If you're looking for something to study, this table is pretty good for predictions :) : http://www.skoool.ie/skoool/examcentre_senior.asp?id=726

• Registered Users Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭JackKelly

so, whats the general idea. I'm slightly worried about this exam.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭sarahg_angel69

chem is my last exam 2moro....i have no motivation at all!!!! study sarah study!!! i cant bring myself to do it!!! keep thinking bout hols..and the shopping..and the sun!!!! ahhhhhh!! damn nice weather wen the exams are on!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 441 ✭✭colin300

I am like that u just never know.
    So I am looking for a major improvement on this subject from the mocks. If i dont do well I could well and trully be completely f*****!!!!!!!!!!!
    I am talking repeating kinda stuff!!!! :eek:
    But I do know alot (studied this and only this from the mocks) just experiments are a hard thing to remember. But I think it will come back.

I am going for the biggest swing in a grade ever attempted :D

7% in the mocks

to

Roughly a C3!!!!
    (most likely alot better after I studied it wasn't impossible it is quite an easy subject to learn in my opinion at least i hope i am not lying to myself when i say that)

Please OH PLEASE LET MY BRAIN WORK!!!!!! :D

lol.7 percent? Thats fairly rough. Im not too much better, i got 38% in the mock. Hoping for a B though. Did a lot of work, but im afraid something ghey will appear tomorrow.

Just a hint for people the physics & chemistry paper is up on examinations.ie and u might want to have a look at the chemistry section of the paper it might help to get a few new questions done and they are based around what we think might come up just an idea!!!!

Link To Higher Level Paper!!!

Hmmm. What came up the physics section, is very like what came up in the physics paper today

I noticed that.

Thats why I like the look of it!!! :D

• Advertisement

lol, it would be great, but i'd imagine the dep. realise the day gap, and mess it around accordingly

Advertisement