Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sweet sweet chemistry

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 441 ✭✭colin300

ye i know but things like the heat of formation or whatever it is and hydroxide experiment are good things to go over. Keep the mind fresh!!!!

Or just polute it with more unecessary learning and completely scr*w ur chances

since there are a few chemistry genius' here maybe someone can answer this.

Name the following: (i think its wrong in sample papers)

CH2OHCHOHCH2OH

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭Jane Doe

Glycerol? Just a guess!

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭rasher_b2

colin300 wrote:

CH2OHCHOHCH2OH

Glycerol

• Registered Users Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭JackKelly

for some reason i am suddenly DREADING this exam........crap.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭2e

colin300 wrote:

CH2OHCHOHCH2OH
    Propan- 1, 2, 3- triol. It has a common name but I cant think of it off hand. It helps if you draw it out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 Doctor D-Man

Whats the best thing I can do in Chemistry right now. I am usually good a chem (used to get A's and B's) However I havent worked in chem all year and havent done much for the past few weeks. Must cram it all tonite. I'm thinking Organic, Titrations and the experiments, a bit of the old atom theory, equillibrium and my option. Would I be covered for all the question with those topics??

Ye overall thats no prob.

Might wanna do a bit on water treatment and sewage treatment!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭Richard_Fonzie

Wow I can't believe how similar the physics section is to the paper today. Ethanal is on that paper too..!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭sixdraw

here ye might want to look at the bleach titration, it hasnt been up and i have a history of going on about things the night before that always come up

• Advertisement

well i see it was sort of up in 2002

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 Doctor D-Man

sixdraw wrote:
    here ye might want to look at the bleach titration, it hasnt been up and i have a history of going on about things the night before that always come up

I'm gonna hold ya to that :) and if it doesn't come up tomorrow I'll write "sixdraw made me fail" on the front of my paper and run out screaming and yelling. You just think about when you sit doen in the exam hall tomorrow evening. :D

OK i need to know what question the experiments are going to come up on.

Prep of ethanal would have to be Q 2
    Q 3 is anything
    Q 1 is going to be what the Winkler Method??????

make sure you look at winkler, halogens as oxidising agents, ethanoic acid aswell and perhaps bleach.my teacher is so sure that winkler will only be in sec. B so i'd go for bleach or a crystallisation exp.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭Cherry_Pie

If the Anion tests came up does anybody know what way they would be asked??? I cant find an example in the papers!....oh so nervous! :eek:

carbonate + Hydrogen Caronates ->add MgSO4. CO3 forms a white p.p.t.
    sulphate/sulphite -> add BaCl2 , and HCL.sulphite p.p.t dissolves
    Phosphates -> add Ammonium Molybdate and conc. HNo3. yellow p.p.t
    chlorides -> add AgNo3. White p.p.t (AGCL)
    Nitrates -> add feso4 and conc. H2SO4 . brown ring forms

you may be asked for the chemical formulas. you dont have to give the full ones just the ions. like Ag+ + Cl- -> AgCl

Sixdraw you gem!! Thats a really easy way to learn them!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭StickyMcGinty

lads, you'll all be fine, i did the exam 2 years ago and after nearly failing chemistry for 2 years got a B2

Section A:bleach, clove oil, winkler , the 3 eth's
    Section B:
    Gas, atom & organic definitions
    Environ Chemistry, Organic, ionisation and heats of formation, boyles law ,electro neg etc.

its a good idea to look at the phys/chem exam paper from the day before, thats what i did and some of the same stuff came up!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭sarahg_angel69

im f****d!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! got 60% in the mocks...think we ad n easy paper!!!!!! not gona get that agen tho!!!! ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh but m free in 7 hours!!!!!!!wwhhhhoooooooooo

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭deek

Dont worry if you had the same mock paper as me its now known as the worst mock chem paper ever! It was shockingly hard and the marking scheme given to the correcters was totally idiotic.Mine had the anions on it btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭StickyMcGinty

look i got 40 in the mocks and then a b2 in the leavin, as long as you did work since the mocks you'll be grand. and i'd be REALLY surprised if you had the whole course covered by the mocks too, its a long aul course.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭YeatsCounty

I did the first "new" Honours Chemistry exam in 2002. We never got the results back from our Mocks, they were that bad. :-/
    Anyway, the exam was tough but entirely doable. I answered the required questions and I got out of there with a C2. it wasn't bad because I couldn't keep a lot of the Chemistry course in my head long enough for the exam. if i took it again, I'd do a lot better. Just a question, s the 2002 exam viewed as a tough exam or an easy exam?

Remember:
    You don't have to know everything.
    Don't stress out over getting mental blocks or that is what you'll give yourself.
    Be clear about the experiments, and the steps for each one. otherwise you could end up writing a mixture of two experiments for one question.

Of course, I'm preaching to the choir here. You guys have been doing these exams for the last two weeks! Best of luck today to everyone here.

Does anyone else find the Winkler difficult?? Ne tips for a last cram on it? :o

Skip it, like me! I have a feeling chemical equilibrium or rates of reaction is going to come up :p.

Now your panicing me!!!! Im so terrible at chem!!! :(

If you're really set on it, this might help:

Winkler Method

Thank you!

What are you going in today knowing really well!???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭deek

I have a feeling chemical equilibrium is going to come up :p.

Take that back! It cant come up ,please god dont let it come up :eek: *goes away to pray*

• Advertisement

I know I hope it doesn't either :(

Advertisement