Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Filmmakers on Boards?

• 17-06-2005 4:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭

As a matter of interest how many filmmakers are on this forum. I'm talking about anyone with more than just a passion for watching film. Someoone who makes films at any level( professional, amateur) and in any area (writing, cinematography...etc.) or wants to become a filmmaker.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,753 ✭✭✭qz

I wouldn't mind becoming a film maker at some stage, but I'm a bit uneducated when it comes to the subject.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,698 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

i'm going into my last year in film studies, i am a filmmaker, i do scriptwriting and directing. i am currently in new york doing a cinematography and editing course and i have made a few short films. I am currently scripting my next amateur project.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭Hugh Hefner

film_gonzo wrote:
    ... or wants to become a filmmaker.
    I'm looking to be an actor/director/writer. I've been studying acting for more about 8 years now and I'm going to try my hand at my first script in September. Should be fun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

I'm shooting my first short film within the next few weeks. It is only going to be 3-4 minutes long but I'm using it as an experience before I shoot a feature length I've been writing.

I'm a guerilla film-maker. These new-age 3CCD chip DV cam whores as such. I'm working with a Panasonic AG-DVX100AE camcorder along with an audio technica condenser mic. A modest setup that set me back about 5K.

Here is my little baby:

clearer.PNG

If you are interested in getting involved with producing some shorts to gain experience, send me a message and I'll try put you in the right direction.

Blitzkrieg, where in NY are you studying? Also, do you have any of your shorts online - I'd love to take a look..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭Hugh Hefner

dlofnep wrote:
    I'm a guerilla film-maker. These new-age 3CCD chip DV cam whores as such. I'm working with a Panasonic AG-DVX100AE camcorder along with an audio technica condenser mic. A modest setup that set me back about 5K.
    I assume you own a copy of The Guerilla Filmmaker's Handbook? Lol. I'm so gonna get that just out of curiosity.

• Advertisement

I assume you own a copy of The Guerilla Filmmaker's Handbook? Lol. I'm so gonna get that just out of curiosity.

I don't but I'm familiar with it. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Kazaanova

Thats a sweet cam Dlofnep, some people wouldnt believe how much they cost.

BlitzKrieg, did you go to New York just to do a course in film making or were you there already? Would it be much better then doing it over here, and was it hard to do a course like that in a different county?

i'm at the school of visual arts for the course...for the editing department i am being taught by the biographer of stanley Kubrik...so you can guess where most of the classes go.

Kasanova: I came over just for the course, in my film course back in England, they have a great theory element and the pactical is great too, but they do very little in the area of cinematography so i signed up for this course in New York cause i felt i needed more knowledge on cinemtography. The editing course was just something that caught my interest (and i am very glad i did it, i have fallen in love with all that jazz)

sadly none of my shorts are online, but you can find the script to one of them in the creative writing department...and i'll attach up a section of my feature length script here later...just dont have time right now.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

my friends have made 2 films and we are making a sketch show thing during the summer!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭film_gonzo

I'm always up for helping out. I'm only starting up in this line of work pretty much. Working full time to pay the bills and writing when I can. Equipment wise I have very poor resources at the min but i hope to buy a new Mac by August.

Thought it'd be nice if there was a place where filmmakers could help each other out with ideas, advice and use of their skills and time.

-gonzo
    dlofnep wrote:
    If you are interested in getting involved with producing some shorts to gain experience, send me a message and I'll try put you in the right direction.

And I'm always interested in helping out other people who are making stuff when I can

• Advertisement

Well worth a purchase. Even the free Screenwriting software you get with the book is a godsend. It's basic but it'll help you write that first masterpiece in proper format.

film_gonzo wrote:
    And I'm always interested in helping out other people who are making stuff when I can

Where are you located? You should get in touch with the guys at the exploding dublin film project. They are doing some shoots over the summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

I used to write alot. I even sold a few scripts and treatments. But none of my stuff was ever put into production and I just became disinterested after a while.

At the moment I run a production company that will produce content for a Dublin Community Access TV Channel. We have a few digital cameras and some digital editing suites.

I've been meaning to get back into writing as I still keep a notebook with lots of new ideas in it.

I used to write alot. I even sold a few scripts and treatments. But none of my stuff was ever put into production and I just became disinterested after a while.

At the moment I run a production company that will produce content for a Dublin Community Access TV Channel. We have a few digital cameras and some digital editing suites.

I've been meaning to get back into writing as I still keep a notebook with lots of new ideas in it.

What sort of programs do you guys produce? What cams are you working with?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,862 ✭✭✭mycroft

lump works in the Beeb, I'm a freelance editor/assistant editor, (I've worked on tv dramas, documentaries, commericals, music videos and films, ranging from huge budget feature films to low budget dramas, and of widely varying quality).

HughChal and Dustaz both work in post production, and Hugh kicks all our asses in terms of experience.

dlofnep, cough up the extra squid and buy a directional mike for the camera, or a lapel mike or two will help immensely.

Hugh, the first ed of G filmhandbook came out when I was in college, and I've not looked at it for years, but it was very well thumbed by the whole class even just for the not to do sections, does it still have the sections on them being done for fraud?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭nadir

Id like to make musicvideos,
    I'm like, totally musicvideo mad.

mycroft wrote:
    dlofnep, cough up the extra squid and buy a directional mike for the camera, or a lapel mike or two will help immensely.

I have an AT 897 (http://www.saferseas.com/vsd/eye/micShotGun897.html), sound is actually great for both indoor and outdoor shooting. Great bang forr the buck. I'm as a broke as a joke right now.. Spent the last of my money on a polarizer and a uv filter. I'm saving up for the micro35 which allows me to work with 35mm lenses with my dvx.. DVX is great but I don't have the ability to have much control over the DOF.

It's an expensive hobby :(

Any examples of your work? I'd love to see!

HOBBY?!?!?!

ITS AN ART DAMNIT ART!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

only jking.

i promised a copy of my script and i shall deliver give me a second to find it.

here we go...its only a third of overall prject but i am happy with it so far.

I'll check it out as soon as I get home Blitz. Just finishing work now!

Something to think about also, how about a film production forum on here instead of taking over the video editing section or the film section.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,862 ✭✭✭mycroft

dlofnep wrote:
    I have an AT 897 (http://www.saferseas.com/vsd/eye/micShotGun897.html), sound is actually great for both indoor and outdoor shooting. Great bang forr the buck. I'm as a broke as a joke right now.. Spent the last of my money on a polarizer and a uv filter. I'm saving up for the micro35 which allows me to work with 35mm lenses with my dvx.. DVX is great but I don't have the ability to have much control over the DOF.

It's an expensive hobby :(

Any examples of your work? I'd love to see!

And the ability of Minidv to handle light is it's major issue.

As for a film production forum I was considering trying to forumlatic the 48 film project in Dublin a few years ago.

As for examples theres my IMDB profile, and some shorts/commerical/news stuff I've cut, however if you decide to work (as in a career) in film proper unless you're very lucky/very talented you'll spend all of your twenties and a chunk of your thirties working as an assistant in some department. You do the grunt work to allow your HOD to be talented and creative. You've never left a film going "the standby props/focus pulling/synching was excellent", have you?

• Advertisement

mycroft wrote:
    And the ability of Minidv to handle light is it's major issue.

The low light management of the DVX is exceptionally good considering. There's only so far money will take you and right now with my funds, I can't be too picky about what I can use.
    mycroft wrote:
    As for a film production forum I was considering trying to forumlatic the 48 film project in Dublin a few years ago.

As for examples theres my IMDB profile, and some shorts/commerical/news stuff I've cut, however if you decide to work (as in a career) in film proper unless you're very lucky/very talented you'll spend all of your twenties and a chunk of your thirties working as an assistant in some department. You do the grunt work to allow your HOD to be talented and creative. You've never left a film going "the standby props/focus pulling/synching was excellent", have you?

I'd like to have a career in film but I'm not going to be ignorant about my chances. If it fails, I have an IT career to fall back on some I can rest in the comfort of that. I would like to work in film and understand I'd start on the lowest rung of the ladder but right now, I'm young and enjoying myself. I'm shooting a short ina few weeks and gaining experience as I go along. What's your name btw? I'll check you out on IMDB.

if it fails for me i'll be teaching history and politics...damn i dont want it to fail...

Forgot about your script Blitz, reading it now.

dlofnep wrote:
    Where are you located? You should get in touch with the guys at the exploding dublin film project. They are doing some shoots over the summer.

I will do. Do you have any contact details? i'm living in Dublin, in town.

dlofnep wrote:
    Something to think about also, how about a film production forum on here instead of taking over the video editing section or the film section.

Yeah, Thats' what I hoping for. I think it would be a great idea. Help out us filmmakers, beginners and professional, with valuable shared advice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 535 ✭✭✭bonzai bob

I don't really do anything in this department, although i'd love to write a few screenplays, but i don't think i have the knack for it to be honest. Although i do have some good ideas.

Of course ya do Bob, just takes alot of patience - patience and about 600 cups of coffee.

And film Gonzo, mail me at john@fckvwls.com - I'll get you their contact details - Also, if you like, check out this thread and support a film production forum: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=2934258#post2934258

dlofnep wrote:
    What sort of programs do you guys produce? What cams are you working with?
    Most of the stufff that is currently produced are short documentaries.

We have 3 JVC GYDV300E Mini DV cams and 3 Sony DCR-TRV19E which are small 1 chip mini DV cams which are usefull for people just starting out.

We also have 3 Final Cut Pro Based Video Editing Suites.

And some dollys, tripods and lighting kits etc.

We train members of the local community to use the equipment to make their own programming. And we're currently working with some other groups around the city to try and get a Dublin Community Television channel up and running.

That's cool. We don't have a dolly around these parts, we have a wheelchair for a dolly and work with all the natural light we can get. Need to get a softbox ASAP..

• Advertisement

dlofnep wrote:
    That's cool. We don't have a dolly around these parts, we have a wheelchair for a dolly and work with all the natural light we can get. Need to get a softbox ASAP..
    The dollys are actually these nice fold up jobbies that attach to the bottoms of the tripods. They work pretty well.

They really haven't seen much use unfortunetly.

That's a shame :( - I'll invest in some more equipment after I shoot my upcoming short. I'm going to have to as I'm shooting a feature length at the end of the year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,262 ✭✭✭Elessar

I'm a film maker who just finished the first year of a 2 year film production course. I have written and directed a few shorts and produced some others. I'd like to put forward my support for a film production forum.

I'd also like to get involved in a few shorts this summer, does anyone have any details of any going on, or coming up?

I'd also like to know a bit more about this Dublin Community Television project, monkeyfudge, do you have any more info or a website, I'd love to help out, or make some more films or documentaries.

Elessar - Get in touch with the exploding dublin film project. They are shooting shorts over the course of the summer. If you need contact details for them, email me at john@fckvwls.com and I'll put you in the right direction.

Also, if you wanna support a film production forum - post here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=2934258

Elessar wrote:
    I'd also like to know a bit more about this Dublin Community Television project, monkeyfudge, do you have any more info or a website, I'd love to help out, or make some more films or documentaries.
    Dublin Community Television have a website here: http://www.dctv.ie/

My group make content for the North East of Dublin. Drop me a PM if you are interested in getting involved.

Advertisement