Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Broadband?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

beller b wrote:
    On paper????? but BB doesn't run on paper....& the reason there are not many post saying how good they are is.................................THEY ARE NOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 andmor

Hi puma5k,

Count yourself lucky you don't live in the border region then!

OUr speeds on the irishisptest site this evening are download 428 and upload 82.2. Have been checking morning, noon and night on this site since I discovered it on Friday and these speeds are more or less constant.

Can't find any files on ftp.irishisptest.com but download just now on ftp.heanet.ie is running at 90 - 100 and we are supposed to be on 2 Mbps up and down!

Is in not outrageous that the quality of the same service varies so much over the country?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

andmor wrote:
    Can't find any files on ftp.irishisptest.com but download just now on ftp.heanet.ie is running at 90 - 100
    Kilobits/second?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭pete

Drapper wrote:
    where is half the comments on this thread m8 ?

I didn't say half, i said "...negative comments from about half a dozen people..", i.e. about 6 people.
    Drapper wrote:
    90% negative and I would consider the people on Boards as a fare flection of the public opinion

Quite.
    Well Pete? all happy here! dont think so............

I never claimed that was the case.

andmor wrote:
    Hi Pete,

where is this Ballycoolin mast. We want it now!

It's right beside Symantec's offices in Ballycoolin, near Blanchardstown.

• Advertisement

It's 90 - 100 KBps on the Firefox download thingammy which I believe is kilobytes per second. If I understand this correctly you multiply by 8 to give the kilobits per second equivalent i.e. 720 - 800 kilobits

Browsers and other file transfer agents tend to show speed in terms of kilobytes per second, usually with one or two decimal
    places.. Thus, you may see your browser report a "Transfer rate:" being "XX KB/Sec
    .. (www.dslreports.com)

If we are meant to have a 2000 kilobits per second download connection isn't this a long way short?? :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭rsynnott

Some IBB masts are good, some are DREADFUL. And avoid Ripwave.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 370 ✭✭Adey2002

Adey2002 wrote:
    STEP1: Spend 3 days trying to get in touch with them to report a problem.
    STEP2: Convince them that there is a problem.
    STEP3: repeat step1 for the next couple of weeks to get an update of your problem.
    STEP4: Goto step1 because they have lost/ignored your inital query.

Repeat every month for an accurate description of IBB

Does the fact that no one has disputed my description above not give any clues about the quality of IBB?

I think the only people who think IBB are good just download the odd file, browse a few sites and aren't reliant on their ping.

IBB, AKA 2 cans connected by a wet bit of string.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭rsynnott

Adey2002 wrote:
    Does the fact that no one has disputed my description above not give any clues about the quality of IBB?

I think the only people who think IBB are good just download the odd file, browse a few sites and aren't reliant on their ping.

I'm doing VPN through it lately. Not fun.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Reku

Adey2002 wrote:

I think it's really a case of all Irish home Broadband is absolute cack (know people who've tried a few of the companies over the past year and a half or so, trying to find even a semi-decent one), IBB just seem to be the best on the occasions when they do manage to get it right.

• Advertisement

Adey2002 wrote:

Bad customer service does not equate to bad network service.

Wrong. Unless of course IBB have singled lucky old me out for good service. Yes, that must be it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,935 Mod ✭✭✭✭Turner

Yeah same here, ive got 2mb down/up get full download speeds and perfect pings 24/7.

pete wrote:
    Bad customer service does not equate to bad network service.

Agreed but the CS is a reflection of the quality of IBB as a company, the network install guys I think are fisrst class!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

I was having some issues with speed. I made 2 calls and now things are very, very good and have been for about a week now. We will see how long it lasts. So far I have found the customer service to be OK.

MrP

Why don't we put together a league table of IBB masts?

You can start by putting Strabane into the Fourth Division. Obviously Ballycoolin is top of the premier!

This morning up to about 10 a.m. our download speeds were back up to 1.4 Mb but it's been downhill all day after that and at the time of writing we are back down to 413 kbps download and 133 kbps upload (all from www.irishisptest.com)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 88 ✭✭puma5k

andmor wrote:
    Hi puma5k,

Count yourself lucky you don't live in the border region then!

OUr speeds on the irishisptest site this evening are download 428 and upload 82.2. Have been checking morning, noon and night on this site since I discovered it on Friday and these speeds are more or less constant.

Can't find any files on ftp.irishisptest.com but download just now on ftp.heanet.ie is running at 90 - 100 and we are supposed to be on 2 Mbps up and down!

Is in not outrageous that the quality of the same service varies so much over the country?

What ever mast your working off, you must be heavily contented. If you do a Tracert, say to heanet.ie, and I’ll do one and we can build up a map of the backbone to get an idea the infrastructure IBB's has.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

beller b wrote:
    Well recommended?????????????????????????? I'd RECOMMEND using the search function & reading back on some of the posts about them!

Yea but you always hear about the complaints and rarely from the people who are happy.

I use IBB breeze 2Mb and have not a bit of trouble with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭Steffano2002

How much would a 1:1 contention - 8MB symmetrical connection (with my own mast obviously) cost do you think? I'd be really interested in that...

irlrobins wrote:
    Yea but you always hear about the complaints and rarely from the people who are happy.

Becuase there is none ! and the few who praise are in the 1 month honeymoon period ! just before the service drops and they are out of the cooling off period !

And you said it rare ! they are very rare !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭BigMoose

If you read threads enough there are those who comment that they are totally happy with the service. I am one to start with. Pain in the arse to get installed, but once done I have had 6 months of perfect service, which is more than I got off IOLBB - who dont get me wrong, I'd go back to them if I only had the choice of xDSL, but they had their odd glitch.

From what I can tell it depends on what mast you are on. You never hear anyone post that's on the same mast as me. Is that cause I have it all to myself or that as it works no one posts to comment? I have been upgraded this week so I am a bit nervous that a once perfect service will go to sh*t. But so far so good.

I should qualify "perfect" by saying I dont use it for gaming so dont care about pings. All my non mobile telephony goes over VoIP with IBB and Blueface and I down load my fare share of large things regularly. VoIP has been as good as the old Eircom fixed line for about 4 months now.

• Advertisement

Drapper wrote:
    Becuase there is none ! and the few who praise are in the 1 month honeymoon period ! just before the service drops and they are out of the cooling off period !

And you said it rare ! they are very rare !
    Wrong. Again.

15 of months of satisfied use.

pete wrote:
    Wrong. Again.

15 of months of satisfied use.

eeehhh that comment was not to you m8! we know your feelings :-) and I'm glad one person is happy with the service

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,935 Mod ✭✭✭✭Turner

Maybe we need a "happy with IBB thread"

Ill get onto it.

Chief--- wrote:
    Maybe we need a "happy with IBB thread"

Ill get onto it.

Give it a bash, I for one would be interested to see what happens!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭damo

thanks for the feedback lads...does anyone know what the service is like in waterford?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭Steffano2002

Ok I'm taking bets for the "Drapper -v- Chief" match!

Here are the odds offered by steffanobetting.com:

Drapper is a 12/15 favourite
    Chief is a 150/1 underdog

Make your bets!

lollll :D

Drapper wrote:
    eeehhh that comment was not to you m8!

I was correcting you, not replying.

Advertisement