Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Billy Corgan - The Future Embrace

Options
  • 17-06-2005 4:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭

Just bought it today.. slightly disapointed.. expected it to be a bit better but it's still ok imo.. I liked DIA, A100 and Walking Shade.. must listen to a it a couple more times before really deciding... What's the verdict with everyone else?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

I've listened to the first six tracks and I must say I like it. It's not the best stuff he's done but it sounds an awful lot like New Order/The Cure/Depeche Mode so it's fine with me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Medellia

I didn't even know it was out here before the 21st o_0

Why must things be realeased early without anyone being told?

So going to buy it tomorrow....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

look any release dates you see are american or english! we ALWAYS get the albums on friday! remember that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭selpher

It needs 2 or 3 listens to really get into it, then you'll love it. A bit like blurs think tank.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Medellia

evad_lhorg wrote:
    look any release dates you see are american or english! we ALWAYS get the albums on friday! remember that.

Oh, yes. I just didn't think it applied to everything.

I got it last night, but by the time I got home I was too wrecked to listen to it, and I know for a fact that's it's in the bedroom of someone's who's asleep right now....so I won't get it till later....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭violetdream

listened to it twice now. its not bad. i'm a huge pumpkins/corgan fan. the single is excellent and their are some beautiful atmosferic moments there reminscent to me of wire (154 & chairs missing) and later joy division. enjoyed the gig. corgan copped out a bit though by only playing for an hour and doing a 4 minute encore then spending the next 10 minutes thanking everyone and basking in his fading glory..

still a legend though in my opinion. saved my life

• Registered Users Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭mr_angry

I've listened to it a few times now, and I'm disappointed. I think Mina Loy is the standout track, but I find most of the rest boring. I was really hoping for another "Adore" since that was the Pumpkins album that Billy had most input into, but I think this sadly lacks the same quality. Thumbs down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 My Name IsJonas

mr_angry wrote:
    ...since that was the Pumpkins album that Billy had most input into

:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭Pistol Pete

Aren't you forgetting about his debut solo album, Siamese Dream?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭hostyle

mr_angry wrote:
    I was really hoping for another "Adore" since that was the Pumpkins album that Billy had most input into

er what?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

Aren't you forgetting about his debut solo album, Siamese Dream?

Well done!! Thats a pumpkins album. Not Billy Corgan solo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

I though Adore was largely horrible... doesn't look like I'll be picking this up.

I've never heard Billy sound good without Jimmy Chamberlin :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

petes wrote:
    Well done!! Thats a pumpkins album. Not Billy Corgan solo.

Corgan spent the recording of Siamese Dream being really pissed off with the rest of the band. So practically all of the music you hear on the album, apart from the drum, was written and played by Corgan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭Pistol Pete

Ah bless, I knew someone was gonna say that.

In fact I probably should have said Gish and not Siamese Dream - it's said that Corgan wrote and played all the guitar and bass tracks on both, with the exception of I Am One, Soma and Mayonaise which were co-written by himself and Iha. If you read his blog/biography/confessions thing where he's talking about the recording process of Siamese Dream, he describes how Iha/Wretzky's inadequacy as musicians is effecting the recording process and they go back to just him playing with Chamberlin.... "I try to keep the peace, but quickly realize that the old way, which is essentially me and Jimmy, is still the easiest way across".

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭dead air

It's good. There's a few stand out tracks and a few not so stand out tracks if that makes any sense. It's not his best, but it's still a strong album that's definitely worth a listen.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

I think it's ok, have to give it a few more whirs though.

Adore is amazing, I know allot of pumpkin fans don't really appreciate it but I think it's amazing. Listen to Shame, It's drum machined to bits but each of them beats signify the loss of Jimmy which just gives it more heart.

You all heard this??
    Originally Posted by Chicago Tribune
    Fresh on the heels of the release of his first solo album, "TheFutureEmbrace," Chicago rocker Billy Corgan says he's breathing new life into an old dream: The Smashing Pumpkins.

In a full-page advertisement in today's Chicago Tribune marking the release of the new CD, Corgan says, "For a year now I have walked around with a secret, a secret I chose to keep. But now I want you to be among the first to know that I have made plans to renew and revive The Smashing Pumpkins. I want my band back, and my songs, and my dreams."

The Smashing Pumpkins broke up in 2000 after playing a final gig at The Metro. The band racked up record sales (more than 25 million, with 1995's "Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness" selling 4.7 million in the U.S.) and critical acclaim (two Grammys and several nominations) in a relatively short time; their debut album, "Gish," was released in 1991.

The Pumpkins have a tumultuous history. The band's lineup included drummer Jimmy Chamberlin, guitarist James Iha, bassist D'Arcy Wretzky and Corgan; Wretzky left after recording "Machina" in 2000, with former Hole bassist Melissa auf der Maur filling her spot in the tour, and Corgan has blamed Iha in postings on his Web site for breaking up the band.

After the breakup, Corgan and Chamberlin put together the rock quintet Zwan, which imploded in 2003 after only one album.

"TheFutureEmbrace" is set for release Tuesday.

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭mr_angry

hostyle wrote:
    er what?
    Despite Billy being the heart and soul of the band anyway, Adore was the album where he really let rip. As already stated in this thread, he rarely gave Iha and Wretzky any input into songwriting anyway, and with Jimmy Chamberlin also gone, he was left pretty much to his own devices across the entire album. Rather than get another drummer, he programmed all the beats himself, and there was a hell of a lot more of Billy's piano than in any of the other albums.

Seeing as this was Billy's solo project, I expected much the same thing since he has total control. However, to me, it sounds much more like Machina / The Machines of God than Adore, which is a massive disappointment for me since I didn't like it. I hope that answers your "eh what?" comment.

Machina is excellent too. You have to hear Glass and the Ghost Children and Stand Inside your love performed on 27th of October 2000. My oh my!!

I've just uploaded the above 2 songs [deleted]. I was told it is ok to publish links to songs by artists who allow taping, Smashing Pumpkins allow taping as shown here.

I just had to upload them for yee fellow fans :)

Hi,
    I was told by Khannie, mod of the computer forums that the higher folks on boards said if it's on that list it's ok. I don't want to cause more fuss but it would be nice to be able to share songs if there is actually no legal problems. I fully understand though :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

Looking forward to picking this album up. Normally I'd just download it but I have, like, 12 pumpkins and zwan albums on CD already so I sort of have to buy it :)

Advertisement