Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Help With Dell Latitude CPt C500GT

• 17-06-2005 5:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 32

Hello
    From title you know what brand and model - Spilt some liquid over it and as a result needed a new motherboard which was done by a professional!
    all was great untill 4 or 5hrs usage and the screen kinda burns out and goes black computer freezes up and stays that way. when powered back up the thing runs fine for maybe an hr or maybe a few mins tried an external monitor but to no avail! Thing is when left powered down for a couple of weeks i get 10 12hrs out of it and then the screen really looks like its burning out! I have my suspions as to what it is but don't know where to start. It does the same thing under win98se and xpsp2. Also the shop that fixed it is no longer so im left to my own devices and already 220bucks down! What to do?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭J-blk

It could be overheating... Modern Pentium 4s (and Athlon 64s) have a thermal diode that will shut down the PC to prevent damage, when the temperature reaches critical levels (around 75C typically). I may be wrong, but I don't think Pentium 3s have any overheating protection... Your system uses a P3 500Mhz, right?

Now, if it is overheating, this could be happening because the "professional" that fixed it, did a crappy job and either didn't re-seat the heatsink/fan on the CPU properly, used too little (or too crappy) heatsink thermal paste or worse yet, forgot to put any thermal paste on it...

Since the store isn't around, there's no way for you to question the work done but you'd be amazed at the kind of work some "professionals" do...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 Aidan Sinnott

After a lot of head scratching and and cups of java the only thing 2 things left on my list were overheating (Poor workmanship ie a Gimp) who didn't replace the heatsink/fan in a proper order which would explain a lot! It is a p3 with no overheating protection oder than to do what its doing.
    The other thing im kind hopeing it might be is a bios problem i say kinda cos i might be able to do something about this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭J-blk

Well, if you now feel confident enough to take it apart, you could always check the heatsink, apply some good thermal paste (e.g Artic Silver II) and re-connect the heatsink/fan assembly.

Problem is, if your system already overheated a few times, your P3 is probably permanently damaged so you may be stuck with a paperweight...

Advertisement