Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tonights EL Action, Shelbourne v Shamrock Rovers live on Setanta Sports

• 17-06-2005 5:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭

FRIDAY JUNE 17                         
     EIRCOM LEAGUE PREMIER DIVISION         
     Bray Wanderers  -v- Cork City *    7.45

* Tickets on sale from: Carlisle       
     Grounds; Nolan's, Main St, Bray;       
     Golfing Memories, Dublin Rd, Bray.     

Drogheda Utd    -v- UCD            7.45

Shelbourne      -v- Shamrock Rvs   8.00

EIRCOM LEAGUE FIRST DIVISION           
     Galway Utd      -v- Dublin City    7.30

Limerick        -v- Sligo Rovers   7.45

Three title challengers playing in the premier division all in, on paper, winnable matches, so a slip up here could prove costly espically if it happens in Tolka Park.

Shels v Rovers is live on Setanta, I'm confident for some reason unknown to myself. I think we really have to put on a display tonight and I really think we can do it, if not, we really are in trouble. This is the one where if we don't win, espically if Cork do win, we're offically in 'crisis' :)

Cork are away to Bray, with their away form you'd expect it to be 3 points for Cork and they should extent their lead at the top over Derry who aren't in action.

Drogheda away to UCD will be tough, Belfield is a very difficult place to goto and there's no love loss between Doolin and UCD to say the least, so they'll be well up for it. This will be a tough one for the Drogs, a big three points if they can get it.

Dublin and Sligo in the first will be both looking for away wins to maintain their current good form.

Sorry if there's another thread, I had a quick look. COME ON THE SHELS.

The european adventures kick off tomorrow by the way, with Bohs at home to Gent in the inter toto cup, but that's probably worth a thread of it's own.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

Slash/ED wrote:
    Shelbourne -v- Shamrock Rvs 8.00 live on Setanta, I think we really have to put on a display tonight and I really think we can do it.

I'll be watching it slashed, its just starte on the box. I'll set the video too. I'd say Shels should win it. If they dont, it is trouble indeed. I'd be more traditionally in favour of Rovers, but I'm just hoping for a good game and good "advertisment" at Tolka Park for LOI football.

redspider

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

1-0 shels

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

0-1 City. Roy O Donovan

Knacker scored for Shels.

1-1 Shels/Shams

1-2 Shams!!! :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

another for rovers.

1-2

• Advertisement

0-2 City. Neale Fenn!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,391 ✭✭✭arbeitsscheuer

Penalty save by Steve Williams, peno missed by Shams.

Great chance to extend their lead wasted...

COME ON SHELS, pull your finger out. :mad:

~~~~Turning Point?~~~~

I seem to remember Williams saving a spotter in front of The Shed a few years ago in the last minute to earn Shls a 0-0 draw. Shels recognise that as the turning point of that season. They went on to win the league. Who knows now???

EDIT: Shams down to 10 men.

Sounds like a bloody good game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭thejollyrodger

jesus Shels get it together FFS. jolly is having a nighmare

Bray pulled one back in stoppage time. Come on Ref, blow your whistle.

EDIT: Whistle blown. 2-1 City.

• Advertisement

Shams down to 9 men. 2 mins to play.

EDIT: All over. 1 - 2 Shams

Great night for Cork City.

UCD beat Drogs 1-2 as well.

City are now -

7 clear of Derry, 8 of Shels

Has it just got dizzy around here?

Long season to go, but City have given themselves a huge huge boost tonight.

Shels - crisis?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,391 ✭✭✭arbeitsscheuer

Shels defeated 2-1 by 9-man Rovers...

This is soul-destroying.

I know it's very early in the season to be saying this, but;
    Congratulations Cork City, it's your title to lose. As for Shels, the way we are playin and in particular the statistic that we hav not won any of our last 8 games, not to mention 2 consecutive defeats at Tolka Pk... Just embarassing. :(

P.S. As a sidenote, well done to Pete Mahon's Students; Really good away win in Drogheda this evenin.

SebtheBum wrote:

I know it's very early in the season to be saying this, but;
    Congratulations Cork City, it's your title to lose.

Mind games eh? John Kenny said on Radio One a minute ago (forgot to listen for the night) that the league is all but over already. Dolan reckons its a very important night in the season.

But to say its Citys to throw away is jumping the gun a bit. There are 20+ games to be played yet this season. City have to play Bohs, Drogs, Derry and Shels twice more.

An 8 point cushion over Shels is magic, and Im f*cking delighted, but certainly not reckoning anything is over yet. Remember, our lead can be cut to four points again tomorrow night if Derry win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

From what I hear from Dalymount, Bohs are on the up aswell so there is a long way to go and points will be dropped in that league for sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Slash/ED

Jesus christ, what the hell is happening Shelbourne? Ndo out was a loss, but I'm genuinley baffled at what Fenlon was at with some of those subs.

Rovers fans were at it again, no doubt it'll all be denied as usual though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Rovers fans were at it again, no doubt it'll all be denied as usual though.

There always at it, but against $hels they're allowed! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭thejollyrodger

Did anymore ssee the fight last night ? Ollie byrne was fighting Roddy collins!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

yeah there's a big bit on the back of the mirror about it, from what i've heard from fans etc Olly went over, swung two punches at Roddy, missed with both and roddy connected witha right hook "which left the Shelbourne man nursing a head wound" according to the paper! ha ha..

anyway, City went at their best last night, but a win is a win, and Brayis a tough place to go to. Roy O'donovan is a superstar in the making, the boy's something special alright. another goal last night and an assist too, cant ask for much more from your right winger.

Good to see derek coughlan back in action too (even if he did cost us a goal ha ha)

As for Shels, not too sure whats going on in tolka, lads is it true that there were "Fenlon Out" chants after the game last night?

anyway, this is a pretty nice sight to see on a saturday morning!!

Roar wrote:
    As for Shels, not too sure whats going on in tolka, lads is it true that there were "Fenlon Out" chants after the game last night?

No.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

There were no "Fenlon Out" chants that I heard.

Someone making up stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,895 ✭✭✭SteM

gimmick wrote:
    Shels - crisis?

I hate hyperbole but it looks like it. Their next 3 league matches are

Waterford United (Away)
    Longford Town (Home)
    Derry City (Home)

They need to win all 3 imo otherwise their season could fall apart. They're just not looking creative in front of goal. Crowe & Byrne don't look like a front pairing to me, more like 2 loan strikers. How much interplay was there from them on Friday night?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

I saw some of it on Friday and watched more of it on video. I'm not sure if you can say its a crisis or not, but Shelbourne aren't creating that many clearcut chances. Three attempts on target for the night, Rovers had 5. All goals came from crosses and headers in the box, right in the 6 yard area, and the goalkeepers could be faulted for their lack of presence in the danger area.

The game could have gone the other way really as it was not the case of Rovers dominating. Both teams were evenly matched. I think Shelbourne are having a bad run of results, for the effort they are putting in, which is Fenlon's thinking. ie: Keep doing what they are doing and better results will come. However, whether that is good enough or not remains to be seen. At the moment, it looks doubtful and I think it will put more pressure on their European games.

I'll make some more comments on the "eircom league" thread.

Redspider

I'd say it is a crisis. 8 points behind Cork and in freefall, this was the match, espically with it being on TV, that Shels needed to go out and put on a display and get back into contention, and we fell flat. Waterford away on friday and that will not be easy at all. As Stem said, we need to win the next three, no two ways about that. If we can win the next two and go into the Derry game with a bit of momentum and then beat them, again live on TV, we could turn it around. The game in Waterford is absolutley must win for us, if not, then I can't see us retaining the title.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

Slash/ED wrote:
    I'd say it is a crisis. 8 points behind Cork and in freefall, this was the match, espically with it being on TV, that Shels needed to go out and put on a display and get back into contention, and we fell flat. Waterford away on friday and that will not be easy at all. As Stem said, we need to win the next three, no two ways about that. If we can win the next two and go into the Derry game with a bit of momentum and then beat them, again live on TV, we could turn it around. The game in Waterford is absolutley must win for us, if not, then I can't see us retaining the title.
    ^^

Agree 100%. Waterford are in appauling form at the moment, but we are no better, and, tbh, I can see them being hungrier than our lads... :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

Einst&#252 wrote: »
    ^^

Agree 100%. Waterford are in appauling form at the moment, but we are no better, and, tbh, I can see them being hungrier than our lads... :mad:

Quick point on Waterford's appalling form; as we now know, Reynolds has walked, and Waterford might have Pat Dolan installed in time for Friday night's game; would make for great excitement, but is probably unlikely...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

God help them if Dolan takes over.

God help them.

Dolans always loved Waterford though. It's just...It's just....It's such a fantastic city, you know? The people, they're the best in the world, absolutley incredible. The crystal army are, home and away, simply the best fans around. The passion....you just can't beat it. He's always been a Waterford supporter through and through.

seansouth wrote:
    God help them if Dolan takes over.

God help them.
    But if Dolan goes Wallace will lend a finanical helping hand...

And then watch Dolan spend it all on pies and run it into the ground...

Slash/ED wrote:
    Dolans always loved Waterford though. It's just...It's just....It's such a fantastic city, you know? The people, they're the best in the world, absolutley incredible. The crystal army are, home and away, simply the best fans around. The passion....you just can't beat it. He's always been a Waterford supporter through and through.
    :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

lol @ Crystal Army

Wallace is front page story on Business and Finance this week; anyone got the article?

Slash/ED wrote:
    It's just...It's just....It's such a fantastic city, you know? The people, they're the best in the world, absolutley incredible. The crystal army are, home and away, simply the best fans around. The passion....you just can't beat it.
    Very Good!!!

Dolan probably wont take over, as there is no money to waste, and very few assets to strip.

Advertisement