Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A quick question on UTV Clicksilver cap.

• 17-06-2005 5:51pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭

I'm a month into my 3 mth UTV Clicksilver free trial with 16g cap.
    My intention is to cancel then move to Smart, if and when they go live in Galway city.
    I'm wondering has anyone gone over their cap and if so were they charged?
    I reckon I may have gone slightly over for my last billing period but don't seem to have been charged any extra.
    It'd be a shame to waste any extra and free usage! :)

Thanks in advance guys,
    Pat.

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

patch wrote:
    My intention is to cancel then move to Smart, if and when they go live in Galway city.
    I reckon I may have gone slightly over for my last billing period but don't seem to have been charged any extra.

Thanks in advance guys,
    Pat.

UTV are the only isp to consistently charge people who go over the cap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭patch

dub45 wrote:
    UTV are the only isp to consistently charge people who go over the cap.

Jaysus! I'm glad I asked.
    Thanks for that. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭Dinner

3 days before their current offer expires (again). I hope they bring out a better deal then. But, mor than likely, they'll just lengthen their current one again.

By the way things are going this month I'll be cutting the cap a bit fine. I'll have to keep an eye on it now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

i've downloaded 12gb already.....i'll have to say bye to the cousins till next month.

Oh and yeas...i was charged just over 15 euro last month for going about 1.6gb over the limit.....****

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Leeside

I've gone over the limit twice in the past year with Clicksilver and being charged on both occasions. Each time I was less than 1gb over the limit and was still charged.

What annoyed me most was that I have no doubt but the excess amount was downloaded on the 1st of the following month but UTV still charged.

UTV do not use a strict calender month but will charge you for 32 days and will not bat an eyelid in doing it. Be warned!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭Dinner

Yeah they do that. The only way to do it is log off shortly before midnight on the last of the month and reconnect and hope for the best.

well i wouldn't be 100% on that.....my issue is that it takes so ****ing long for the usage meter to update....that's what caught me last month and when i complained i was told to download a ****ing usage meter....is it so hard to have an up to date usage meter which might actually offer real time info...?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

They only count usage of a session at midnight after the session ends. On the few occasions I have had sessions span two calendar months the total session usage has been counted in the second month. I always have the option set to suspend when cap is reached so if they are charging some for these sessions and adding the usage to the next month where they can't charge 'tis a bit unfair.

If you are smart about it you can use the delay in their usage meter to your advantage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

utv isnt a great isp. but they have good local call rates. personally i prefer the isp part of it, so i wouldnt even consider them.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

RuggieBear wrote:
    well i wouldn't be 100% on that.....my issue is that it takes so ****ing long for the usage meter to update....that's what caught me last month and when i complained i was told to download a ****ing usage meter....is it so hard to have an up to date usage meter which might actually offer real time info...?

The problem with usage meter software on PC's is they'll log ALL network traffic so if you have a router and your sharing the net connection to several PC's and you use your LAN to transfer files thats going to screw up your stats, certainly not the best suggestion from UTV

How about the make their meter update in realtime?

• Advertisement

Cabaal wrote:
    The problem with usage meter software on PC's is they'll log ALL network traffic so if you have a router and your sharing the net connection to several PC's and you use your LAN to transfer files thats going to screw up your stats, certainly not the best suggestion from UTV

How about the make their meter update in realtime?

Fully agree. Or even let us know the exact time each reading was taken. The current UTV meter is so inaccurate that it can give a false sense of security.

Surely also, its against the terms of the contract if UTV bill you for a 32 day period when they say the limit is for one month. In any court of law I could not see any Judge ruling in favour of UTV on that one.

Leeside wrote:
    Fully agree. Or even let us know the exact time each reading was taken. The current UTV meter is so inaccurate that it can give a false sense of security.

That's waht got me...i knew i was close and i even rang up to ask and the guy on the end of the phone told me i was fine (1.5gigs under)....look at it 2hrs later and i'm a gig over the limit :eek:

I've saidf i'll pay for excess usage (i reckon there shouldn't be a ****ing cap at the price i'm paying but thats another story) and i don't mind paying if i knew exactly how much i've downloaded when i've downloaded it....i resent having to make a guess....

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Paul007

I got activated with Clicksilver on the 15th of this month.

When does the cap actually start?
    Is it at the beginning of every calender month or from when you start using the service?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Beginning of each month.

PiE wrote:
    Beginning of each month.

Thats correct provided you understand that the beginning of the month is not necessarily at 00.01am on the first day. :) It could just as easlily be sometime on the 2nd of the month.

Don't bother asking UTV. They won't tell you because either they don't know, or because they catch more people out by not being specific.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Gegerty

patch wrote:

Thanks in advance guys,
    Pat.

I've been with UTV for almost a year now. First of all I'd like to add my 2 cents worth on the UTV b*tching rant, yes they're crap and if you have any sense at all you'd stay well clear of them!

On the cap question, have UTV told you that you can log in to your account and change your options so that you can never exceed your maximum allowance? They never told me and i went over by 6 gigs in my 2nd month. They tried to charge me but I sent in a nasty email accusing them of purposely trying to catch me out and if they had told me about the online account I would have changed my option to cut me off when i hit my limit. That was a year ago when they actually used to read the occasional support mail and believe it or not they actually let me away with it :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Isn't it set to disable at the cap by default?

mine is set to charge by default....

It states:
    You did not make a choice for this calendar month. We will take the default action of billing you for any usage over your download cap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 568 ✭✭✭newgrange

The reminder email as you approach your limit informs you of the options.

Our records show you have downloaded 6965 MB, which is approaching your download limit of 8192 MB for this month. You can choose which course of action UTV Internet should take in the event that you exceed your download limit by visiting http://u.tv/csie

Please contact admin@u.tv with any queries you may have.

I tried to move to the Plus product (2MB) with UTV in April. I was told I was too late in my application (March 26th), so I was told it would come online in May.

May started and I was still getting 1MB speeds, and I was told it would be corrected in a few weeks. Eircom were blamed, which is standard.

Anyway, I was downloading away, believing I was going to be switched to the 2MB product at some stage in the month, and that I was operating on a 16GB cap.
    Halfway through May I was told that my line could not provide 2MB (but could 1MB? Is this likely?), so my Clicksilver Plus would be a 1MB product.

I told them then that I was not interested in paying extra money for a product that was just the same as what I had, albeit with a larger cap. I was assured I would not be charged and that I could temporarily have the 16GB cap, on a 1MB product, as it was not my fault I could not avail of the promised service.

My bill for May arrived and of course I was charged, not only for the 2MB product, which I don't have, but also for going over the (old) 8GB cap. They say they are sorting it out, but it goes to illustrate that no-one in UTV seems to talk to each other, even within the same departments.

I've been with them since they were DNA, but to be honest my patience is wearing thin. I have a crappy old site that is one of the main genealogy resources for Dublin, currently in my old DNA space, and to be honest the bother of moving that and informing all the linking pages is the main reason I'm still with UTV. I keep giving them the benefit of the doubt, but I think I'm being taken for a fool at this stage.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Interesting. When I was a customer I'm almost certain that when they introduced it, it was set to disable by default. However I changed it to charge almost immediately, so it might have been different if I hadn't manually made a choice.

adam

• Advertisement

dahamsta wrote:
    Interesting. When I was a customer I'm almost certain that when they introduced it, it was set to disable by default. However I changed it to charge almost immediately, so it might have been different if I hadn't manually made a choice.

adam

ditto....you're probably right

• Closed Accounts Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Gegerty

For me it was set to charge by default

Advertisement