Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

A little eBay help - dodgy sellers galore?!

• 17-06-2005 5:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭

Right I'm in a bit of a fix. I badly need a replacement battery for my presario laptop at this stage. Having left it for ages, eBay still seems to have the same few sellers who're selling the exact model number I want.

Both power sellers are 97% and 99% respectively, but using eBay negs I'm finding plenty of battery-specific complaints; most worrying is that the batteries are not new as advertised, and have lost some charge capacity before even shipped. I know this are generic brands but when I checked (ages ago) and eventually got the HP/Compaq Irish accessories contact number the price for an original was a joke!

Anyway the dilemma: This guy is selling 155 items, mostly batteries. He's got 0 feedback though. At $45 dollars and for 14 international delivery, it's pretty affordable.

Am I stupid to even consider the above deal?!

If so, has anyone bought a generic version as a replacement battery? Are they all destined to explode :D

Just generally advise me what to do please!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭Clinical Waste

I'd be wary. He only signed up last month and is selling 155 things straightaway?
    I think he is using a new name.

Shipping is from HongKong also which is ok as you are buying generic and its prolly made there but you have no idea of the quality?.

Would wait and see what early feedback he gets first.
    Whats the rush..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭Bri

Thanks for the advice.

I'm pretty sure your right, given the layout of his page looks like he's not a beginner but then why the 0 feedback? (Obviously feedback isn't everything as people can sell multiple small items before robbing people with a big sale later).

The rush is...I looked into this ages ago and decided there was no really feasible option. Now it's beginning to annoy me again (I use my laptop daily for my thesis). I should probably look back into buying a new one from Compaq but IIRC it was 200+.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭Darwin

Hi, this place in the UK sell laptop batteries - looks like they are offering 20 quid off batteries this weekend. I think the battery you are looking for comes to 75 sterling inc. delivery so about 110-115 euros. Twice the price of the ebay seller, but better than Compaq Ireland I guess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭Bri

Thanks alot, never seen them before - and I thought I'd done the rounds of potentials shops.

Unfortunatley they don't have it - it's part# 289053-001. I remember it was really hard to find before too. Most annoying thing is the first battery on the compaq battery page of that site (here ) looks identical to it. Infact it even lists multiple versions of the Presario 900 (mine) so I'm just tempted to get it.

But! I e-mailed them with the part number to see can they get it or point me in the right direction.

Have you bought from them yourself?

Thanks a lot for your help. +rep :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,082 ✭✭✭Nukem

Darwin wrote:
    Hi, this place in the UK sell laptop batteries - looks like they are offering 20 quid off batteries this weekend. I think the battery you are looking for comes to 75 sterling inc. delivery so about 110-115 euros. Twice the price of the ebay seller, but better than Compaq Ireland I guess.

Excellent site.Added to the stickie on your behalf.Please post if you have more.

Nukem

• Advertisement
Advertisement