Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wearing a flag that isn't your own-yay or nay?

• 17-06-2005 8:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭

Hi everyone,
    Saw a lovely top that I'm thinking about buying, but it's got an American flag print, and I'm Irish! Would you wear a flag that isn't that of your own country? Just I don't want people thinking I'm American!

Nala

Would you wear another country's flag? 20 votes

Yes
    0% 0 votes
    No
    100% 20 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭Attol

A lot of anti Americanism going on so I'd be careful with an American flag. Personally I wouldn't wear one as I don't really agree with American politics and would not like to appear to support them.

However I am Finnish yet every St. Patrick's Day I dress up in green white and orange and do the Irish flag on my fingernails. I guess I feel more Irish though as I lived there for most of my life.

Just wear what you want. People will interpret it in different ways no matter what it is you choose to wear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭chillywilly

depends on the country....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

If you like it buy it and wear it! Just be careful going abroad with it - France, Spain and the likes.

Sure people wear other countries football/rugby jerseys - all the English premiership and than FC barcelona and the like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭mateo

I would. I love the Swedish flag and would really like a T-shirt of one lol

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,105 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

maybe some countries ones

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Flags aren't for wearing, they're for using any old excuse to dislike someone with a different one. Oh, wait...

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,986 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Should we ban wearing clothes bearing representations of this country http://flagspot.net/flags/ly.html ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭SingingCherry

And GOD FORBID you look American!

*shock**horror!*

Just wear what you want to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

Depends on the flag - would never wear a Union Jack for example - too much history there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

I have no problem with it at all. I personally wouldn't wear the flags of certain countries because of their politics, but thats just me...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 974 ✭✭✭MooShop

no wouldnt wear a flag from another country

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,740 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

I suppose if it is worn in a manner that does not defame, or is in a spirit of fun - why not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭deek

Dont think I could ever wear an American flag or Union Jack but I wouldnt mind so much about most other european flags

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

i wouldnt wear a union jack, but more out of the fear tht i would get beaten up by some ignorant irish person who has yet to leave the 19th century.

if its a fashion item, then who cares, if its a political message on clothing, then thats a totally different question, with a totally different answer...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Wearing any countrys, even your own, is a little bit tacky looking.

Flags belong on flag poles, not on clothes* or on the walls of teenage boys bedrooms next to a poster of that tennis player scratching her arse with no panties on.

*Except uniforms I suppose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭*Page*

nope to all wearing flags is not my type of thing!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭Tobias Greeshman

I would definately not wear a Union Jack anyway, I reckon it'd be an invitation to get beaten up on a saturday night, plus I just wouldn't feel right wearing it. Other than that I cant imagine a flag looking good on a top, I think I need to see a pic first!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭Feenikusu

I would more likely wear an other country's flag that my own flag, but I wouldn't wear every country's flag.
    And I don't think that someone is american just because he wears their flag.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Velvet Vocals

show me the top?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Wez

I don't mind either way, aslong as it's not a union jack.. I think English who wear them need to get a life! I mean, seriously, it's one of the tackiest things going! I saw some guy in town today, with a union jack across his chest. Woulda looked 100 times better without it, a plain navy T-shirt..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I've never worn a flag of any form, not even my own. Somehow, a flag is a symbol of national identity, and as such, is to be taken seriously.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

Larianne wrote:
    Sure people wear other countries football/rugby jerseys - all the English premiership and than FC barcelona and the like.

That's hardly the same thing. They are club teams, you're not wearing a flag. Wearing international jerseys is slightly different but I still wouldn't see any problem with doing that. I wouldn't wear a top though if the main design or logo was a flag.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭rsynnott

Well, I certainly wouldn't wear my OWN country's flag. If you can show me a completely inoffensive country, then maybe ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,198 ✭✭✭kensutz

I wear an england jersey who cares I'm not racist

• Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭Coney Island

I find pathetic people who actually wear flags of their own country....especially when they are abroad thinking to look cool and proud of their nationality and thinking to be better because of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 Holly Golightly

None at all, especially not one that's not my own!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭shoegirl

i wouldnt wear a union jack, but more out of the fear tht i would get beaten up by some ignorant irish person who has yet to leave the 19th century.

if its a fashion item, then who cares, if its a political message on clothing, then thats a totally different question, with a totally different answer...

Have to agree here - and the union jack underwear is just soooo tacky

Advertisement