Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Paying by cheque in Sterling ?

Options
  • 17-06-2005 9:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,287 ✭✭✭

I bought something off Ebay from a person in the UK and he wants me to pay by cheque. I was thinking it wouldn't be a problem to send a Euro cheque but I noticed in my cheque book that it says "These euro cheques are domestic cheques and are for making payment within the Republic of Ireland only." So, what can I do?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭HOB-it

if you get the dudes bank account details you local bank can make a straight transfer to his account in whatever currency you want. just make sure to get either

his banks swift no. and his bank account no.

or

just get his IBAN number (International Bank Account Number)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,287 ✭✭✭NotMe

Thanks, I think that might be the way to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

AnPost will provide you with a sterling cheque if you need one.

MrP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 568 ✭✭✭newgrange

Or you could get a bank draft in sterling.

I don't really like the idea of sending a bank draft to a stranger in the post.
    MrPudding wrote:
    AnPost will provide you with a sterling cheque if you need one.
    How does this work? Do I just ask them for a cheque and then when it's lodged the money is taken from my account or do I have to pay upfront?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

HOB-it wrote:
    if you get the dudes bank account details you local bank can make a straight transfer to his account in whatever currency you want. just make sure to get either

his banks swift no. and his bank account no.

or

just get his IBAN number (International Bank Account Number)

UK is not in eurozone so this will not qualify for the cheap 51c charge. Could cost anything from €12.70 to €44.44

send him a sterling bank draft. Commission charge shouldn't be more than €4.

that is how I pay for all items I win on ebay from UK sellers and never had a problem. They always send the items as soon as they receive them

A sterling cheque from An Post is a bank draft, with the 'bank' being An Post.

I have never had any problems sending bank drafts for eBay transactions, though I prefer to send and receive PayPal, for a number of reasons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

what did you buy from ebay,hope its not for a large amountas if u pay by cheque or bank draft thers no come back as the guy will have the money and the deals finished. its happened with me i paid and got no items and got no product

I never buy anything costing more than 20 sterling if they want a draft. If it's more expensive and they don't use PayPal, I don't buy from them - same thing with Western Union.

It's for £50 = €75. I usually check that the seller accepts paypal but this time I didn't. Plus he only has 10 feedback. All positive but all from buying not selling. Anyway I sent him an email asking if he'd cancel the deal, I'm just waiting for a reply.

• Advertisement
Advertisement