Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog sunburn

Options
  • 17-06-2005 9:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 915 ✭✭✭

My pooch (pointer 3 years old) has just come in and lay down beside me and i went to rub his tummy and it's bright pink. Anyone ever hear of dog getting sunburnt before?

I knoe he's not the brightest cookie in the jar, but I've never had a dog where this has happened before.

any suggestions - other than loads of water to drink and so anti-infammatory for the pain?

i can't believe that I am even asking these questions - cos if I hadn't seen it myself I'd thought it was a wind up - but don't want the mutt to be uncomfortable.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Einstein

yeah dogs get sunburnt alright.

I have a weimeraner and he's got a pink nose, and they really can burn....

dunno if suncream works though!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Glowing

Hi there, yep some breeds are particularly susceptible to sunburn, especially those with a pink nose and pale skin.

You are supposed to put suncream on them when they'll be out in the sun for long periods, i'd say a sensitive one would be best.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Dogs and other pets that go outdoors can get sunburnt easily, especially on their ears/noses/belly and more so if they have patches where they have no fur or are white etc.

A baby sun block factor 30 or higher can be put on them, patch test it first to make sure they aren't allergic to it.
    What kind of anti inflamatory did you give the dog??

*rabbits and guinea pigs also need a sun block especially albino and white /light haired ones, if the weather is hot always cover run with a blue coloured tarp or light coloured towels*.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭boneless

My wee Jack Russell gets sunburn on her ears and nose. Factor 30 or higher is the only job. Also, dogs can be prone to heatstroke... lots of water and shade needed.

I have on occasion given my dogs small doses of Diffeine(? spelling ?) on the vets advice. Just sprinkle it in their food.

Advertisement