Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spraying MDF

• 17-06-2005 11:01pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭

I'm thinking of making an MDF unit to house all my audio-visual gear. I wanted to get a high gloss lacquer finish and was thinking of getting a car bodyshop to spray it for me or would a kitchen fitters be better?.?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 693 ✭✭✭Gyck

Spraypainting with celulouse based paints will give you an even finish, provided you take the time, and seal the MDF. However, I find that the paint doesn't wear well. Applying lacquer helps, but it still scratches quite easily, though personally I still like to use celulouse as I have great control over the colour and finish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭mad m

You might find that cellouse will just sink into the MDF if not primed.The main primer for MDF is either a water based paint(primer).Or a of coat of slightly watered down emulsion.The cellouse finishes can take a time to harden thats why they can be easliy scratched.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

You'll def have to prime it first...mdf soaks anything...2 coats min of primer and its no picnic either on the first one

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,123 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

Its not to clear from your post, if you are using plain mdf, or veneered mdf for your unit.

Veneered mdf would require, a sanding sealer before any base coat or top coat of lacquer. This is a high build primer, to fill the grain of the veneer quickly, with as few coats as possible. Then go on to one or two base coats, and then one or two top coats.

If you are using plain mdf, basically the same, sealer, base coats, and top coats. If you need to use coloured lacquers, same process.

You can buy lacquers , clear or colours, especially for timber related projects.
    They are manufactured by Granite products, and Sonneborne and Beck industries. They are readily available in all good builder providors.

If you need an exceptionally top class hard gloss finish. That is alcohol resistant ect, then use as many coats as required of , bartop lacquer. There two pack epoxy finishes available that are highly resistant to alcohol, acidic chemicals ect, so you should be able to get exactly what you need.

kadman :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭digitaldr

Thanks for all the replies - very helpful I'll let you know how I get on!

• Advertisement
Advertisement