Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Shamrock Rovers hooligans

• 18-06-2005 1:02am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭

We all know that a large amount of Shamrock Rovers fans are nothing but truoble makers and tonight they proved once and for all that have a bad hooligan element within their fanbase.

Firstly the pitch invasion at the end of the match was truly disgraceful. Hundreds of them invaded the pitch with only one aim and that was to incite violence. They taunted us Shelbourne fans in the Drumcondra End and threw numerous missiles at us both mature adults and kids as young as 5 were doing this. It is a miricle that the Shelbourne fans in the Drumcondra End showed restraint as there would have been full scale violence if we didn't have our cop on and decency that most of the Shamrock Rovers ''fans'' lack. The stewards and police did absolutely nothing for 5 whole minutes to deter the scum but that takes nothing away from the disgraceful behaviour of these so called football ''fans.'' I also heard that that Trevor Molloy also threw bottles at Shelbourne Supporters.

Outside the ground yet again the Shamrock Rovers fans had only one aim to incite violence. Walking down the Richmond Road was one of the most uncomfortable moments of my life and guess what folks.... I ended up in a confrontaion with 3 Rovers fans and I was assaulted, kicked and punched. I'm lucky I don't have anything broken. On the Richmond Road every single car was full of Shamrock Rovers fans young and old shouting abuse at us.

Hooliganism has absolutley no place in football but of course as tradition Shamrock Rovers FC will deny everything and put an image up of their fans of being absolute angels. We all know the Rovers are on thier knees sucking the FAI bigwits since they are illegally playing in the eircom League and will of course get away with murder once again. This has to stop and Rovers have to be punished once and for all in the means of points deductions, severe fines (which will hopefully bankrupt them) and have all Shamrock Rovers fans banned from away matches.

If you are a Shamrock Rovers fan you should be absolutely ashamed of yourselves. You proved what all eL fans have known all along that your club is infested with a bunch of lowlife hooligans. Your club needs to stand up, take notice, get a grip of reality and get a hold on the thugs that exist in your fanbase.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

If you are a Shamrock Rovers fan you should be absolutely ashamed of yourselves. Every single one of you proved that you are the scum of the earth and you nothing but a bunch of lowlife hooligans. I hope your joke of a club goes to the wall so we can get rid of scum like you.

What, even the ones who weren't there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Emmo

a little bit of ironic advice

all generalisations are false.

Emmo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭thejollyrodger

i dont have time to post on this but basically shams fans are **** of the earth. The way Olly was assaulted last night is a disgrace

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

blanket generalisations are bad. so is violence, obviously. sorry you got a kicking mate. hope youre ok.

in fairness, ive mentioned before on this board that there is a certain mob culture creeping into football support in this country. Ive noticed it at 2 clubs, Rovers and Bohs. Shels seems pretty much clear of it thank god.

Something needs to be done about it though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

i dont have time to post on this but basically shams fans are **** of the earth. The way Olly was assaulted last night is a disgrace

Incorrect Ollie threw 1st punch at an EX BOXER stupid stupid stupid man Roddy knocked his ass out :D
    They taunted us Shelbourne fans in the Drumcondra End and threw numerous missiles at us both mature adults and kids as young as 5 were doing this.

Incorrect They threw back what was thrown at them see shelsweb for Shels fans admitting they threw **** 1st.

But everything else correct they are scum.
    http://members.boards.ie/kdjac/07-minister1.jpg
    kdjac

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

Shels secretary goes to blows with Rovers manager. Shels lose and Cork go 8 points clear.

Happy days :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

KdjaC wrote:
    Incorrect Ollie threw 1st punch at an EX BOXER stupid stupid stupid man Roddy knocked his ass out :D

Incorrect They threw back what was thrown at them see shelsweb for Shels fans admitting they threw **** 1st.

But everything else correct they are scum.
    http://members.boards.ie/kdjac/07-minister1.jpg
    kdjac

Ollie incident - I don't know what exactly happened but if he did throw a punch, that is ridiculous and he will only give a bad name of Shelbourne Football Club but that particular incident must not take away from the disgraceful behaviuor of the Rovers fans last night.

Missile throwing - No you're incorrect. Rovers fans started that. I've been on Shels.com and there is conflicting stories regarding that incident. I saw with my very own eyes the 1st missile being thrown by a Rovers fan. A minority of Shles fans did retaliate with throwing bottles but it is such a sad sight to see a kid no more than 7 years old throw a bottle full of coins into the Drumcondra End....... shame on Rovers.

Last image lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

Jaysus, a kid from Tallaght throwing money? Sounds unlikely!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭thejollyrodger

well, some of that muck written in the papers by Collins was clearly meant to start a faracs.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

This is the kind of thing that is dragging the EL down.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 436 ✭✭sleepwalker

what the hell is going on at Shels at the moment anyway with their sheer refusal to win a match

Rovers fans have always had a strong core of scum supporting them but i know plenty of decent people out in Tallaght who support them, there desperatley living off a distant history and Roddy Collins has turned into a ridiculous parody of himself

I dunno who threw the first punch in that Byrne vs Collins fiasco but the fact that you even have a chief executive and a manager in a fight speaks volumes about just how professional the eircom league is

anyway tis early days yet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

I dunno who threw the first punch in that Byrne vs Collins fiasco but the fact that you even have a chief executive and a manager in a fight speaks volumes about just how professional the eircom league is

Yes, they cant even afford pizzas, also you english premier fans have a bigger problem with hooliganism so you can get off you high horses

Eh this could be the best off the field incident of the season, as bohsman said pizzas? teammates fighyting on the pitch? banned from europe? fans stabbed to death? Its far worse in England than here as we only have Rovers and Bohs who would have a "crew" of wankstains who would only be at games to cause trouble , Pats have a few muppets but they only kids oh and Cork but i reckon they just bored scumbags with nothing else to do.

If Fergie punched Wenger it be hilarious, and Roddy decking Ollie is just as funny.

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

That has to be the funniest thing this season! Although I conceed all this kerfuffle ( <- always wanted to used that word) can only be bad for the image of the game here, I would have paid good money to see Oily getting decked. Rumour is he started it anyway so I reckon he got what he deserved (would say that anyway :) ).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

As a Shels fan, Ollie Byrne makes me cringe. He's an arsehole, mouthing off constantly and doing nothing but making other EL fans hate us even more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

I'm not an eircom League follower but I was at the match, in with the Shels fans, and it was definately the Shelbourne fans that started throwing bottles. This was after Rovers fans stood in front of the Shels stand and took the piss out of the annoying hand-clapping thing Shels fans were doing all match to what sounded like a native American drum-beat - bizarre, I know.

Aside from that, it was a cracking match with everything and the only real hint of trouble I saw was when the Gardai went to take down a Rovers banner calling Ollie Cahill a football hooligan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

Ollie Cahill or Ollie Byrne? lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

well, some of that muck written in the papers by Collins was clearly meant to start a faracs.

Who started the fight????????????

And did Oily have to react like the thug that he is? He has gooten away with attacking people in his ground before (Derry Fans). Thankfully Collins gave him his come uppance.
    there desperatley living off a distant history and Roddy Collins has turned into a ridiculous parody of himself
    :D

To be fair, Roddy was provoked physically, so he reacted. Oily was wound up, over reacted and made a fool of himself, again. It happens, see Man U Vs Arsenal a few months ago.
    He's an arsehole, mouthing off constantly and doing nothing but making other EL fans hate us even more.

100% correct. I used think he was just passionate, but after looking more closely in the last year or two he is a plain idiot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

These are my thoughts the situation of SRFC that I put on a different website about 2 weeks back, and on shelsweb earlier on today...

It's a tough one to call. Every club has bad eggs so to speak, but Rovers seem to have enough for the league as a whole twice or three times over. It's very sad to see, arguably Ireland's most famous club homeless for 23 (I think) years, millions in debt, and have some of the worst "fans" on the island associated with them, further dragging this once prestigious club's name through the muck.

Now, Rovers obviously have a large number of genuine supporters, but this will go unnoticed once the scumbags that associate themselves with the club act the way they do. I would go so far as to say that a large number of those causing trouble have no interest in SRFC at all, just scumbags looking for trouble. But when the club seem to do nothing to prevent this it certainly doesn't discourage these lowlifes from further soiling the name of SRFC.

Many of these people are not "fans" as such, but, while they continue in the way they do can you blame people looking in for maintaining the view that Rovers are a scumbags club of choice, or the likes of Ollie Byrne (even though he's not a popular figure) for threatening to ban SRFC fans from Tolka Park? It's not worth the trouble, letting hordes of scumbags in, who potentially will end up costing the host club more money than its worth. If a Rovers "fan" injured himself trying to break onto the pitch in Tolka/Dalymount/Richmond/etc, the club would probably be held responsible for his injuries, and be subject to law suits ranging from personal injuries, to failure of stewards to keep the crowd under control. If left to carry on, this will happen.

I feel sorry for the true Rovers fans caught up in all of this, I used to go to many many Rovers games when I was younger when I couldn't get to Shels matches (I lived next door to the RDS, one of Rovers many temporary accomadations), in the RDS (with crowds of about 100 people total), and I'm sure many of those going then still go today, but will contiunually be tarred with the scumbag brush through no fault of their own. My comiserations to them, but surely, one of these days, the club will have to turn that blind eye onto this problem? It's gotten way beyond a joke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

homeless for 23 (I think) years

18 years.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 436 ✭✭sleepwalker

Yes, they cant even afford pizzas, also you english premier fans have a bigger problem with hooliganism so you can get off you high horses

i follow the eircom league i want to see it succeed and go to a higher level so dont get your god damn knickers in a twist when someone has the audacity to criticize two adults for fighting like kids.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

It is a miricle that the Shelbourne fans in the Drumcondra End showed restraint as there would have been full scale violence if we didn't have our cop on and decency that most of the Shamrock Rovers ''fans'' lack

Yea right. I think at that moment the Shelborne fans needed a change of underwear....all 21 of them!.... ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

It is bad for the league if rivalry gets to these levels of intimidation and violence. Rovers have always had a potential "bad element" down through the years and can attract bad eggs. And it doesnt take much to get others involved.

I'd say the Gardai dont want to highlight the violence too much, and neither do the club, hence the washing of hands over such incidents. That is what the media are for Was there anything on Setanta TV about it? Any pictures or write-ups in the paper? Are there any pictures posted on the web, on blogs? Did RTE mention anything about it? Or maybe the media are helping by down-playing such incidents, which is a tactic that if you dont give trouble-makers media coverage that in time they wont bother with it. My gut feeling is that this trouble would happen without media coverage anyway so media coverage of it now is no bad thing.

Its a pity to see and yet another problem with the LOI, as if it doesnt have enough already!

Redspider

redspider wrote:

I'd say the Gardai dont want to highlight the violence too much, and neither do the club, hence the washing of hands over such incidents. That is what the media are for Was there anything on Setanta TV about it? Any pictures or write-ups in the paper? Are there any pictures posted on the web, on blogs? Did RTE mention anything about it? Or maybe the media are helping by down-playing such incidents, which is a tactic that if you dont give trouble-makers media coverage that in time they wont bother with it. My gut feeling is that this trouble would happen without media coverage anyway so media coverage of it now is no bad thing.

Made frontpage of star twice, 1st and 2nd times anything ever El related was on front pages, knocked beckhams latest haricut to page2!!!

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

I just saw the repeat of the game on Setanta, and it looked a great game. Goals, chances, near misses, controversy, tackles flying in, red cards, the whole lot. The Rovers fans coming on the pitch at the end wasn't a very bright idea, but overall it seemed like a great night's entertainment.

I saw it on the front page of the Star on Saturday; what was the second day it was on front page?

Advertisement