Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Automatic Car Settings??

Options
  • 18-06-2005 1:16am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭

This post has been deleted.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 ✭✭✭Curran

daveirl wrote:
    Theres a '2', a 'L' and an 'O/D' button. I've played with the various settings but have no idea what the hell the different ones do!!

Hmmmm......im not auto driver but AFAIK

L = Low
    2 = a 2nd Low gear

The "L" & "2" gears are for drivin up hill or when the car needs more torque...pulling a trailer or carvan for pulling off!

"O/D".....over drive??????..........sorry dont know about this one :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭IDMUD

L = 1st gear
    2 = up to 2nd gear
    OD-OFF = up to 3rd gear
    OD-ON= up to Fourth gear

If you set it to 2 it will start in first gear and shift to second but not to third if that makes any sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 ✭✭✭Curran

IDMUD wrote:
    L = 1st gear
    2 = up to 2nd gear
    OD-OFF = up to 3rd gear
    OD-ON= up to Fourth gear

If you set it to 2 it will start in first gear and shift to second but not to third if that makes any sense.

Oh......is that how it works.......hmmm....i was told otherwise by an American!

Or maybe when he was telling me i was checkin out some of the hot NY ladies! :rolleyes:
    But you gotta do it! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭AMurphy

Both of u could be correct, depending in how many gears it has.

You could have D and OD, OD is always OverDrive, and these days includes T/C LOCKUP for better mpg.

D in one car could be exactly the same as O/D, on another car. However if you have both OD & D, D just limits u to one down, best for climbing, towing and to limit "hunting" under load.

L could mean 1st only or 1 & 2nd only, or 1,2 & 3rd only, again depending on layout. and usually does not allow T/C Lockup functionality.

L coould also be your backup in case of electronicse on an electronic A/T.

Advertisement