Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Super unleaded, not v-power in Dublin

Options
  • 18-06-2005 1:40am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭

As the subject says, my car is hating me for giving it normal unleaded, it needs SUL to run at its best. The problem is that I haven't been able to find a place to fill up on sul, every place i've asked says that it has been withdrawn from IE due to low demand :(

So, is it really that bad, a whole country without SUL in this day and age?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

The reason there is low demand for sul is that it is too bloody expensive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭IDMUD

bazz26 wrote:
    The reason there is low demand for sul is that it is too bloody expensive.

The rest of europe has it and at a higher price too. It's well worth the premium it carries.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 276 ✭✭Delta_ie

Ireland taxes petrol on the RON rating so the petrol importers don't see the point in bringing it in if it doesn't sell in large quantities.
    If you want higher octane petrol look into octane booster but it is not cheap if you have high mileage and I don't think any knows how much it really improves the ron.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

can the super unleaded petrol improve milage.i just got a new golf is it worth a try in it and can u mix the normal unleaded with leaded(eg if i have some unleaded in the fuel tank already)

thanks guys

Yes, you will see better milage thanks to the cars computer making better use of the higher quality fuel. The end result is that there isn't much difference per 100km in terms of cost.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 881 ✭✭✭Ernie Ball

IDMUD wrote:
    Yes, you will see better milage thanks to the cars computer making better use of the higher quality fuel. The end result is that there isn't much difference per 100km in terms of cost.

Nonsense. Higher octane improves neither mileage nor performance. The only thing it does is reduce knocking and pinging. Certain high compression engines (turbocharged ones, for example) might require it.

But if the owner's manual for your car specifies 95 RON and you are not experiencing pinging or knocking, there is absolutely no need for higher octane petrol and you would be wasting your money to buy it.

You will get better milage thanks to the ecu advancing the timing and thus making better use of the fuel. To avoid detonation you back off the timing a bit, see how it works out?

Besides, turbocharged cars have lower compression because they force more air into the engine, maybe you were a bit unclear on that.

So unless you drive a 1.4l crap car from the 80's you will see better performance and milage from SUL.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 881 ✭✭✭Ernie Ball

I stand by my main claim: it is nonsense to think that higher octane fuel will increase either mileage or performance. Even a cursory search on the web will confirm this.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

Put some jet fuel in your car and see if it burns hotter?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 627 ✭✭✭preilly79

IDMUD wrote:
    Besides, turbocharged cars have lower compression because they force more air into the engine, maybe you were a bit unclear on that

you've just totally contradicted yourself there mate. more air squashed into the same volume = higher compression. there's a good reason turbo'd and supercharged engines have stronger (sometimes titanium) bolts holding the head down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

You don't say where you're based but they've got it at the Esso station on the N11 northbound before you get to Leopardstown Road.

Advertisement